1Password for iOS with Chrome [use the 1Password iOS extension]

Laura_N
Laura_N
Community Member
edited February 2018 in iOS

I prefer not to sign in to Chrome (with a google account), which is not a problem on my Macbook, but I don't see how to add the extension to Chrome for iOS (on an iPad) without signing in. Is it absolutely necessary?

1Password Version: 1.5 X
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@Laura_N: I almost never sign into Chrome with a Google Account, so that doesn't seem to be required by the browser. You can just go the the 1Password X extension page directly and install it in Chrome from there on a computer:

1Password X (Chrome web store)

Or, if you're using 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows, you can install their extensions from here:

1Password app extensions (AgileBits)

But mobile device web browsers cannot install and use desktop browser extensions. We offer a 1Password extension for iOS though, which will work with most browsers and many 3rd party apps on iOS:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Laura_N
    Laura_N
    Community Member

Thanks, I appreciate the quick and thorough response! I’m actually fine with 1Password, and using it with Firefox on my Macbook. I actually got it to replace LastPass, because my techphobic husband will only use an iPad, and 1Password seems easier for him to use than Lastpass. “X” will be even easier for him! Do you plan to make 1Password X available for iOS in the near future?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Laura_N - who knows what the future holds? 1Password X is definitely the future of 1Password. Having said that, I doubt you'll see it anytime soon in iOS, because that platform is already pretty locked down. Apple would need to be involved, as right now "extensions" in Safari are just calls to other apps on the iOS device (1Password's extension just opens 1Password for iOS briefly then returns you to Safari, etc). 1Password X is designed to work independently of a local app, which means until or unless Apple allows that type of extension within Safari (and possibly apps as well), we're not really able to do the same things in iOS as we are with more full-featured desktop OSes.

• Laura_N
    Laura_N
    Community Member

Got it! Thanks again. Thanks have to say, so far my experience with 1Password (use and support) has been great!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Laura_N - Glad to hear it -- and glad I was able to answer your questions. Feel free to drop by anytime you think something's not working the way you expect. Welcome to 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.