AVG quarantined 1Password libswiftDispatch.dylib

Options
13»

Comments

• ben10
    ben10
    Community Member
    Options

this is the twitter thread for this issue.
    https://twitter.com/search?q=libswiftDispatch.dylib&src=typd

this is the link to an interesting tweet.

does this mean they broke our computers/applications? because i was under the impression that i had to take action against, what was brought to my attention as, trojan malware. can anyone elaborate further on the meaning of this statement?

• @ben10,

libswiftDispatch.dylib is a required file for those applications to run, removing it will cause them to no longer launch.

Rudy

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alex_h - can you clarify that for us? I'm glad to hear you're no longer experiencing the issue, but does that mean you're now able to access/update/use 1Password and any other apps that were affected by Avast/AVG's flagging of libswiftDispatch.dylib? Or are you still unable to use 1Password?

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

so you're saying that avast may be mistaking something that Apple has put together for a trojan virus?

Yes. Except that I would replace "may be mistaking" to "is mistaking".

• alex_h
    alex_h
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars yes. I actually was able to access/update/use earlier when I "un-quarantined" (restored) the libraries and turn off the "Mac Shield" during the installation. I'm a software developer, and figured the likelihood of a long-time Swift library from Apple becoming infected with a trojan was very slim, and it was probably the fault of the recently updated virus definitions. The risk seemed very low.
    After the new virus definitions were released later in the day, I updated AVG then 1Password on a couple of my other Macs and did not run into this issue at all. Further evidence that this was just a bad virus definition that, unfortunately, broke a lot of apps for a lot of people.
    Thank you for actively responding during this issue. It seems AgileBits was way more responsive than anyone else, judging by people showing up in this thread that don't even use 1Password (but maybe they will now?). Long time user and advocate of 1Password BTW.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alex_h - thanks so much for the kind words, and the confirmation that 1Password does not remain broken for you (or, presumably, others) now that the new definitions are out from Avast/AVG. Glad this was only a false alarm. :)

• alankswift
    alankswift
    Community Member
    Options

I am a victim of the Avast libswiftDispatch.dylib problem. Unable to open 1Password 6. What it the fix to bring the program back? Thank you.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

I have both Avast and Symantec Endpoint Protection running on my Mac. Yesterday Avast quarantined 1Password's update file, as noted above by many other posters. I was concerned, but a bit suspicious since Symantec did not take any action on the same file. I emailed 1Password and was told the problem only seemed to be happening to AVG/Avast users, although AgileBits could not be sure it was not a real problem with (Apple's) file. My ultimate solution was to remove Avast from my computer, keep Symantec, and do a complete 1Password reinstall and restore from a recent 1P Backup.

Everything is running fine now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alankswift - the first thing to do is update your virus definitions from Avast or AVG. You may also want to follow alex_h's example of "un-quarantining" the file libswiftDispatch.dylib. That may or may not solve the problem right there. If not, you will need to get in touch with Avast or AVG to determine what remedy needs to be applied to their software to return your device to the state it was in prior to the actions taken due to their false positive.

• alankswift
    alankswift
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I did download the 1Password 6 program again and sync with my phone. All information in my primary vault is restored. However, it must be a 30 day trial version. It is "read only' and I can't find a way to enter my license. Can you tell me how to proceed. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alankswift - sounds like you downloaded from the Mac App Store instead of from us. If you have a license purchased through us (AgileBits), you'll need to download from us; if you purchased 1Password for Mac via the Mac App Store, install from there.

• Harlemite
    Harlemite
    Community Member
    Options

Surely I can't be the only one suffering from this now.

Can anyone tell me if this a false positive?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Harlemite: Avast has said as much, and appear to have released an update addressing this, so that apps using Swift are no longer all being flagged as malware.

This discussion has been closed.