Watchtower / Security Audit Functionality

As a new 1password user, it's surprising the limited functionality that's available for me as a non-desktop-app-user.

With my previous manager (the LAST one I used... cough) I had a ton of functionality that now seems available only for desktop apps.
Asking a friend about these, he mentioned that it is there, but only on desktop apps.
I'm talking about things like checking for password re-use across different logins, overall security audit to identify weak passwords, etc.

Are there any plans to bring this functionality either to 1PasswordX or to the website at all?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1PasswordX 1.5.1
Extension Version: 1PasswordX 1.5.1
OS Version: Chrome OS
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jrapoport: These are definitely features we'd like to bring to all of the apps, but there are usability and performance challenges on mobile as well as in the browser. Given that 1Password X and 1Password.com can run on the desktop though, I think it's more likely we'll be able to do those, probably the web interface first, though that may still be a ways off. 1Password X is great candidate, but we have a lot more work to do there first. It's really great to hear that you're enjoying the newer members of the 1Password family, and at the same time passionate about Security Audit. I can't offer any guarantees or a time frame, but that's something we're passionate about too. Cheers! :)

• jrapoport
    jrapoport
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me!

I am hopeful these tools will eventually make it to X.
    I agree the browser is probably an easier first step. To be honest, I was a bit surprised of the lack of these tools. I understood with X being so new they wouldn't be there, but considering they were all available with LastPass, I considered it almost an after thought that they would also be available at least online.

In the meantime I'll see to download one of the desktop apps in order to check Watchower/Security Audit out.

Thanks for the great work and do keep us posted if any of these make it's way to any beta versions in case you want/need the feedback!

Best,
    Javier.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for getting back to me!

@jrapoport: You're totally welcome! :)

I am hopeful these tools will eventually make it to X.

Likewise. Unless there proves to be some technical hurdle (unlikely, though we may need to rework Watchtower to make it more efficient as it grows), I think it's only a matter of time.

In the meantime I'll see to download one of the desktop apps in order to check Watchower/Security Audit out. Thanks for the great work and do keep us posted if any of these make it's way to any beta versions in case you want/need the feedback!

Likewise, thanks for the kind words, and your passion for this! And actually, 1Password for Windows version 7, which includes Secret Audit and Watchtower, is currently a public alpha. So if you're a Windows user with a passion for the bleeding edge, we'd love if if you'd check that out! :)

This discussion has been closed.