Password to open 1PW

justme12
justme12
Community Member

Many year user of 1PW, v2 I think. Have the Pro 1PW app on my devices, iPhone X, iMac 5K, MBP and iPad mini (first with retina display - old) all were syncing to iCloud, working great. FaceID and Touch Bar Print to open on the X and MBP. Have to type PW in iMac and iPad. All working fine forever with my PW that hasn't changed for years but had to with the Family Sub. So I repeated the last two characters of my original old PW. No biggie.

This sure has me puzzled. Signed up for the Family Sub two weeks ago. Setup my 4 devices above. Working fine until last night. On the iPad, which I only use at night to read in bed. Needed to login to a site to post comments. Got 1PW, new longer one and it says now, after working wrong PW. Nope, But after numerous tries I open 1PW on the iPhone X by typing my PW. Opens. Go back to iPad, wrong. After many times, I try the old password, without the two new characters - 1PW opens. WOW and weird.

I check all the settings, yes I'm logged into the Family Plan, I compare them to the iPhone and iMac - yeah all the same

Any idea what could be happening? It was working on the iPad fine. SO far I have not done anything like sight and back in or delete 1PW and reinstall on the iPad. Wanted to hear Agilebits thoughts first

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@justme12 - Yep, I know exactly what happened there, and it's a bit of a complicated answer. Basically, your local install of 1Password on each device uses a Key Encryption Key (KEK) to encrypt the actual vault key itself, so it can continue syncing even if you change your Master Password. But that does mean you need to open 1Password at least once for changes to the Master Password that are made on another device to register on this one. One of our developers, rick actually wrote a very informative and detailed post about exactly this subject a while back; I'd suggest it to you if you want to understand this in greater detail.

However, I'm a bit surprised that you say you "had to change your Master Password" because you signed up for 1Password Families. That shouldn't be the case. You should be able to use the same Master Password for your 1Password Families account that you used previously for standalone 1Password; in fact we encourage doing so provided your existing Master Password is strong and hasn't been compromised or shared with anyone.

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Hi @Lars I will go and read that, just wanted to do this quick reply

On subscribing and setting up the first time and typing my original 9 character PW, I most definitely got a pop which I sadly do not recall exact wording, saying my PW was to short and requires longer one - so I added the two characters and all went through.

My original 9 character PW was very secure, it ended [redacted by AgileBits; this is a public forum]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@justme12 - I've redacted that last portion of your post; I hope that's OK. Yes, the 1password.com account sign-up requires a Master Password of at least ten characters. These days, I'd strongly advise anyone using a password anywhere that they wish to be resistant to brute-force attacks to choose a password longer than nine characters -- especially a Master Password. Ten years ago, in 2008, nine characters was probably not out of the question for a Master Password, but as computing power doubles every seventeen months, the GPU-assisted cracking tools available to even modestly-heeled attackers far outstrips what was within most attackers' reach just a decade ago.

This discussion has been closed.