Feature request: automatic password updating

flundsten
flundsten
Community Member

Since using 1P my passwords are far more complex than I can remember and the unique by each service, I connect to. Hence, I am totally depending on 1P to keep track of them. A nice feature would be, if 1P could periodically automatically update the each password, connecting to each service, to mitigate damage if a service is breached. Often these breaches are not made public before time has passed, exposing members to risks in the meanwhile.

1Password Version: 6.7.8
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flundsten: Thanks for reaching out! I agree that would be a useful feature...but we have no plans to do this currently. It's something we'd like to do and have experimented with in the past, but the problem is that pretty much all websites handle password changes differently, have no APIs to facilitate truly automating this, and, perhaps most importantly, any issues (like, any time the website changes their process or requirements) could easily get people locked out of their account(s). Definitely something that's always in the back of our minds though, and if it becomes feasible in the future we'd like to pursue it. Cheers! :)

• Even lastpass that claims to have this support only does/claims support for like 75 or so. And they have had that feature for a long long time. I imagine it would be a ton of labor

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: I don't blame them. It's effectively a manual process to vet each individual site, code for it specifically, and then test it regularly to ensure that something doesn't break with a change on the site itself or in the app. So either we'll wait until there's some standard that can be used, or until we have the resources to pay people to pretty much only do that all day every day. Otherwise it wouldn't be pretty.

This discussion has been closed.