Bottlenecks

Riptide360
Riptide360
Community Member

Currently when I go to use 1Password I stumble across the following bottlenecks: When the Command \ doesn't work I find that the workflow breaks down pretty quickly.

Make it easier to launch 1Password. Currently you have to go to the menu bar, choose the 1Password icon, choose the gear option, and then choose Launch 1 Password, and then enter the password - ugh! This should have a shortcut like Command Shift \ or at least be the first choice in the drop down.

When you do get the Mac App open the Edit button is greyed out and is the in that right corner. Why do you even need an edit button? Why not just let folks click into a field and let them edit. If it is the username or password field keep a history or prompt them for a "save changes" when clicking out dialog.

Adding notes to an existing entry is a PAIN - it doesn't even show as an option until you edit.

There are several websites that use a combo username and/or email name that you don't play well with (San Jose Library login in my case). It would be nice if you had an option to report problem URLs right from the entry (similar to your favorite icon, share icon, and add a report problem icon). This would let you be more responsive to websites that you don't play well with. Just generating an email from 1Password on how web developers can easily add 1Pass support would help to evangelize your service over lastPass.

Over time I find duplicate entries getting created. Make it easier to check/merge/delete them!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Currently when I go to use 1Password I stumble across the following bottlenecks: When the Command \ doesn't work I find that the workflow breaks down pretty quickly.

@Riptide360: Can you provide an example? The only time I have trouble using the keyboard shortcut is when something is pretty broken on my machine...or I've forgotten I quit 1Password completely.

Make it easier to launch 1Password. Currently you have to go to the menu bar, choose the 1Password icon, choose the gear option, and then choose Launch 1 Password, and then enter the password - ugh! This should have a shortcut like Command Shift \ or at least be the first choice in the drop down.

I find that ⌘ Spacebar 1P works much better than what you're describing here; Spotlight is a great feature already built into the OS, so I don't see us reinventing the wheel for this. You can also press ⌘ ⌥ \ to open 1Password mini and access data right there.

When you do get the Mac App open the Edit button is greyed out and is the in that right corner. Why do you even need an edit button? Why not just let folks click into a field and let them edit. If it is the username or password field keep a history or prompt them for a "save changes" when clicking out dialog.

You don't need an edit button. Press ⌘ E. But I don't expect we'll be making it so it's easy to misclick and edit things inadvertently at this stage. The information we store in 1Password is just too important. With 1Password.com we have item history, which makes it easy to go back to a previous version if you make a bad edit. But not everyone is using that. Perhaps you're not either.

Adding notes to an existing entry is a PAIN - it doesn't even show as an option until you edit.

No empty fields should show until you're editing. Otherwise unused sections would be taking up a ton of space in item details and make it harder to find the field you are looking for. Incidentally, this is another reason why it's nice to have edit as a separate mode: everything irrelevant can be hidden when not in use.

There are several websites that use a combo username and/or email name that you don't play well with (San Jose Library login in my case).

If you'll let me know the specifics (especially URL, but also the OS< 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, since you left those out of your post) I'll be happy to test it and see if there's a solution.

It would be nice if you had an option to report problem URLs right from the entry (similar to your favorite icon, share icon, and add a report problem icon). This would let you be more responsive to websites that you don't play well with. Just generating an email from 1Password on how web developers can easily add 1Pass support would help to evangelize your service over lastPass.

There is:

Designing compatible websites

Over time I find duplicate entries getting created. Make it easier to check/merge/delete them!

Why and how are you creating these duplicate entries? This isn't something 1Password will do on its own. If you have some insight into why you're having this problem, maybe there's something we can do to help. Even if we can't have 1Password stop you from creating items you don't want since it has no way of knowing your intent but through your actions. But there may be another solution. Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.