To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Multiple Master Passwords required for multiple devices and I can't login into my.1password.com

Options
Toecutter
Toecutter
Community Member

I've been using 1P since v3 and enrolled into a my.1password.com shortly after it was released. Once enrolled into my.1Password, I easily merged the existing vault into the single Primary Vault for my.1password.com I was using Dropbox for sync, and the merge was completely successfully and without issue using the tutorial provide pn AgileBits website.

Everything had worked fine on all my devices since enrolling (June 2017?) until recently I was prompted change passwords. I changed my Master Password, and everything continued to work fine. I could login to my.1password.com after changing my Master Password, and had no issues.

But over the past few weeks, several devices began rejecting my Master Password. In desperation to login, I began to try older passwords on several devices and discovered that nearly all my devices will only allow me to login if I use the older (and different from my.1password.com) passwords, which are also completely different. This has left me completely baffled.

MacBook 13" will only accept password A
MacBook 15" will only accept password B
iPad Pro will only accept password C
iPad Mini will only accept password A
Win 10 will only accept Password B
iPhone X won't accept any password

There's no correlation between A, B, C, I simply used them to describe the situation I'm experiencing, but the iPhone is a huge issue because it's the device I use most to retrieve passwords.

To summarize:

• I started with 1P v3 using DropBox to sync.
  • Once joining my.1password.com, I successfully merged into a single vault.
  • All worked fine until just a few weeks ago when I changed my Master Password.
  • I can still login into my 1P apps on separate devices, but they only accept older and different passwords.
  • Devices are a combination of Win 10, iOS, and Mac Sierra.
  • I changed my Master Password from a recently purchased Late-2017 MacBook Pro 13", which still accepts my new Master Password.
  • Urgent: I cannot login into my.1password.com to attempt to reset my Master Password to allow it "update" and sync it among all my devices to require the same Master Password. I've tried to install 1Password 7 on my iPhone X, and cannot complete setup because my defined Master Password is rejected, even though I used it to login into my.1password.com to login this Mac to post this message. Even older passwords won't allow me to login into iPhone. This is a critical issue I need to resolve.

I use a combination of Mac (all are running Sierra), Win 10 and iOS 11 devices. All have been updated to latest version of 1Password.

I need to understand the best way to resolve this as I'm concerned with security issues, corrupting my single Vault and most importantly, my iPhone X is now useless and I desperately require access to logins on the phone when working while mobile.

Please PM me for any further information. I used a separate email to signup for the support forums. It is not my 1Password email.

1Password Version: v6.8.7 Mac & v7 on iPhone
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Win 10, iOS 11, macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox to my.1password.com

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi @Toecutter

We’re not able to provide support here on the forum via PM, but we’d be happy to reply to your concern here in this thread. The rules for how 1Password unlocks are:

• If a Primary vault exists unlock using the Master Password of that vault. This rule overrides all other rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com account are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first one that was added.

So for example:

I have two 1Password.com accounts (Account A and Account B ) and on some devices I have a Primary vault.

• On my iPad I’m signed in to both Account A and Account B, but I have a Primary vault, so 1Password on this device unlocks with the Master Password of the Primary vault.
    • On my iPhone I’m only signed in to Account B, so 1Password unlocks with the Master Password of Account B.
    • On my Mac I’m signed in to Account A and B, but I added Account A to this device first, so 1Password unlocks with the Master Password of Account A.

Most people will probably want to use the same Master Password for each device, and so our general recommendation is:

• Don’t have any Primary vaults unless necessary.
    • Sign in to the account that has the Master Password that you want to use to unlock your devices first on every device.

I hope that helps!

Ben

P.S. There is no association between forum accounts and 1Password.com accounts. They’re entirely separate systems that do not “talk” to each other. Credentials for one while not sign you in to the other.

• Toecutter
    Toecutter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your hasty reply.

Clarification: I have a single vault and I am the only user. No one else has access to 1P on my account. As I mentioned earlier, I migrated my vault from Dropbox to 1P Family so I could easily access 1P from any device.

My issue is that my 1P account is a family account, with only a single vault (hosted by 1P per my subscription) and I am the only user on my account. After changing my Master Password, I could only login to 1P from that specific Mac using the new password. I’ve even locked 1P and logged back in the ensure the password would allow me access before I assumed it sync with 1P’s online portal, but that Password simply won’t work on any other device, all of which sync with my 1P account.

I’ve even tried changing the password again, but cannot because the 1P portal rejects the password I used to login into 1P locally. I was surprised to read that you can even use multiple passwords on a single vault. I’ve always used the exact same Master Password for all my devices.

I’ve been using the 1P subscription for quite sometime now and I had assumed the 1P net portal would sync the passwords across devices. I’ve triple checked my username, Secret Code and passwords to ensure I hadn’t made a typo. Just so I understand completely: The Master Password can be unique across multiple devices? If so, I was completely unaware of this functionality.

Without access to the 1P portal, I’m pretty much stuck because I can’t make any further changes to my credentials directly from the 1P portal.

I can login into several devices using different passwords, and tried changing them to a new password, but cannot change them because the 1P portal rejects the Master Password on all of my devices stating my credentials were rejected.

Could this be a possible solution:
    1. Export existing vault to a local folder
    2. Create a new vault, and establish working credentials
    3. Import the data I exported locally into the new vault
    4. Delete old vault as data has been migrated to new vault

If I did this from a Mac I can login to, would I receive a new Emergency Kit for the new vault that would allow me to set the Master Password for the new vault?

Lastly, is there anyway to setup 2-factor authentication to avoid these types of issues? Most hosted storage services provide this option and I’m curious if there’s anyway to gain access to the portal? Relying so heavily on an unretrievable Master Password has always concerned me, which I why I’ve always been careful to use the same password on every device I’ve installed 1P on to avoid this exact issue (that I didn’t even know existed)

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your suggestions and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My issue is that my 1P account is a family account, with only a single vault (hosted by 1P per my subscription) and I am the only user on my account.

@Toecutter: Right, but you've got a Primary (local) vault on some devices it sounds like, which will then be the Master Password needed to unlock the app there. Did you check that like Ben suggested?

After changing my Master Password, I could only login to 1P from that specific Mac using the new password.

It sounds like at least that Mac (and perhaps only that one) has only your account setup in it, so that its Master Password is used to unlock.

I was surprised to read that you can even use multiple passwords on a single vault.

That's simply not the case. You can't.

I’ve always used the exact same Master Password for all my devices.

The Master Password is not for a device, but for the first vault/account setup in the app.

I’ve been using the 1P subscription for quite sometime now and I had assumed the 1P net portal would sync the passwords across devices.

It does, but only for your account, not for any local vaults, such as Primary, which are not at all associated with your account.

The Master Password can be unique across multiple devices?

No. When you setup a vault or account, you choose a Master Password for it. Then, when you setup the 1Password app on a device, whichever vault/account you have setup there first will be the one whose Master Password is used to unlock the app on that device.

Without access to the 1P portal, I’m pretty much stuck because I can’t make any further changes to my credentials directly from the 1P portal.

I don't understand why you can't access it. If you've changed your Master Password (or other credentials) for the account on 1Password.com, use the "new" ones there. If you haven't, use the "old" ones. In either case, it will be whatever you set it as.

I can login into several devices using different passwords, and tried changing them to a new password, but cannot change them because the 1P portal rejects the Master Password on all of my devices stating my credentials were rejected.

This seems to contradict your earlier comments, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

If I did this from a Mac I can login to, would I receive a new Emergency Kit for the new vault that would allow me to set the Master Password for the new vault?

Can you tell me where you do have access to all of your 1Password data? I can't let you into your account or the apps, but I can walk you through moving your data to a new account/vault if you really have no idea what you've changed the Master Password to in some case.

Lastly, is there anyway to setup 2-factor authentication to avoid these types of issues?

Two-factor authentication won't help in this situation, as it's just another thing for you to lose, forget, or confuse. You will need to have the correct information to sign in or unlock no matter what.

Most hosted storage services provide this option and I’m curious if there’s anyway to gain access to the portal?

It sounds like you're hoping to use "two-factor authentication" as a means to "recover" your account — essentially providing a "back door" to get in when you've locked yourself out. That's not something we offer or ever will.

Relying so heavily on an unretrievable Master Password has always concerned me, which I why I’ve always been careful to use the same password on every device I’ve installed 1P on to avoid this exact issue (that I didn’t even know existed)

The Master Password is "unretrievable" by design. If that were not the case, it would be a weakness that could be exploited, as someone could potentially "retrieve" it who you would not want to. The data itself is encrypted with the Master Password you chose, so, necessarily, you knew what it was at the time. There is no shame in forgetting. We all do. But that's why we encourage you to save the Emergency Kit for your account in case you ever need it. That's optional, as not everyone will want to. But not knowing the correct information to sign in or unlock does mean that, like an attack who will also not have that information (since only you ever did), you will not be able to get in either without it.

• Toecutter
    Toecutter
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the lag, the wife suffered some injuries during a fall and required for more convalescence than I anticipated. So I've been back it trying to figure my $%^& Master Password.

I few clarifications: I have only one "local" Vault, synced across DropBox. I also have only one 1P Online Vault, named Dave Short. I merged them per the directions provided after 1P Online was released. It worked fine. So, even though I logically have a local Vault and an online Vault. These included dupe information as I've never worked with more than one Vault since I began using 1P v4.

I'm reluctant to delete the Dropbox Vault as I can't access my 1P online vault. And, 1P online worked GREAT until I changed the password for the very first time.

Catchup:

• I changed my Master password from a MacBook Pro 13" on Jun 17, 2017. I can login locally to 1Password (standalone) using the new password. I have confirmed that I changed this on My 1Password, as 1Password standalone picked up the change and added a login entitled "1Password Account (Dave Short)"

• I have another MacBook Pro 15" that was also running 1Password 6 standalone and can log into it using a completely separate (ironically, the password I had used BEFORE changing in in Jun 2017.

• Checking my Vaults on each Mac, I have two: Dave Short (I assume my online vault) and one named Personal, which I was using before Agilebits released My 1Password.

• I also noticed that was 1P standalone has been "exposed" to 1P online, I can no longer export or backup the vault?

• I wrote down the new Master Password before changing my existing password, this works fine with 1P standalone (I'm in the app, viewing logins, editing them, etc). I used Dropbox to host my Vault (I only ever used one, until 1P online was introduced.

Lastly, if the standalone app queries me for my 1P Website Address, Email, Secret Key and Master Password, how are they behaving separately?

Example: I login into 1P standalone. I go into Prefs and select accounts, it shows one, with my name. It also includes all the other info necessary to login into 1P online with a button to enter my Master Password. I enter the password I used to log into 1P standalone, and credentials fail. I'm struggling to find logic here. If 1P standalone allows me access to my logins using my recently updated Master Password, then why am I prompted to enter it again, only to have it rejected.

Here's me logged into 1P standalone logged in using the NEW, Jun '17 password attempting to change it again (it was already written down to avoid misspelling):

What I'm struggling to understand is that 1P standalone allows me to log in, BUT is also aware of my 1P online account? If the Jun '17 password change was accepted by this Mac and it's 1P local install, why is it rejected by 1P online?

It's insanely frustrating to know my password, but remain still unable to access my account data unless I use a local version of 1P.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (I did read your entire thread before replying)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the lag, the wife suffered some injuries during a fall and required for more convalescence than I anticipated. So I've been back it trying to figure my $%^& Master Password.

@Toecutter: No need to apologize. I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope she's doing better now at least! :blush:

I few clarifications: I have only one "local" Vault, synced across DropBox. I also have only one 1P Online Vault, named Dave Short. I merged them per the directions provided after 1P Online was released. It worked fine. So, even though I logically have a local Vault and an online Vault. These included dupe information as I've never worked with more than one Vault since I began using 1P v4. I'm reluctant to delete the Dropbox Vault as I can't access my 1P online vault. And, 1P online worked GREAT until I changed the password for the very first time.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Catchup:
    I changed my Master password from a MacBook Pro 13" on Jun 17, 2017. I can login locally to 1Password (standalone) using the new password. I have confirmed that I changed this on My 1Password, as 1Password standalone picked up the change and added a login entitled "1Password Account (Dave Short)"

That's great! Indeed, if you changed the Master Password for the local (Primary) vault, that will not affect your account. They're completely separate. It sounds like you have access to all of your data in the app. Is that correct? If so, we have a way forward at least.

I have another MacBook Pro 15" that was also running 1Password 6 standalone and can log into it using a completely separate (ironically, the password I had used BEFORE changing in in Jun 2017. Checking my Vaults on each Mac, I have two: Dave Short (I assume my online vault) and one named Personal, which I was using before Agilebits released My 1Password.

It sounds like "Dave Short" isn't a vault, just the name of your account. You'll have the Personal vault under that header because it's possible to have multiple vaults (you can create more) in a single account. If you're viewing the vault list and not seeing a Primary, that means you have the app on the 15" using only your 1Password.com account. And it sounds like you then know your Master Password to it. Is that right?

I also noticed that was 1P standalone has been "exposed" to 1P online, I can no longer export or backup the vault?

You can export data by switching to a specific vault, but backups for data in 1Password.com vaults are handled by the server. That way they actually get done, as most people simply never backup at all, or do so only locally.

I wrote down the new Master Password before changing my existing password, this works fine with 1P standalone (I'm in the app, viewing logins, editing them, etc). I used Dropbox to host my Vault (I only ever used one, until 1P online was introduced.

Have you tried the "old" Master Password (the one you're using to unlock on the 15") at 1Password.com in your browser? It really sounds like that will work for you. When you changed your Master Password, you just changed it for a single vault on your 13" I think.

Lastly, if the standalone app queries me for my 1P Website Address, Email, Secret Key and Master Password, how are they behaving separately?
    Example: I login into 1P standalone. I go into Prefs and select accounts, it shows one, with my name. It also includes all the other info necessary to login into 1P online with a button to enter my Master Password. I enter the password I used to log into 1P standalone, and credentials fail. I'm struggling to find logic here. If 1P standalone allows me access to my logins using my recently updated Master Password, then why am I prompted to enter it again, only to have it rejected.

Hmm. I'm not sure how best to explain this other than to say that "standalone" local vaults (like Primary) are completely separate from 1Password.com. So you can have a different Master Password for each, and changing one will not change the other.

Here's me logged into 1P standalone logged in using the NEW, Jun '17 password attempting to change it again (it was already written down to avoid misspelling):
    What I'm struggling to understand is that 1P standalone allows me to log in, BUT is also aware of my 1P online account?

You've got two things setup in the app on your 13": a local (Primary) vault and your 1Password.com account. The app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup there. So, if I understand correctly, on the 13", that's the Primary vault; its Master Password will unlock the app. On the 15", if you do not have a Primary vault, the Master Password for your account will be used to unlock.

If the Jun '17 password change was accepted by this Mac and it's 1P local install, why is it rejected by 1P online?

Because they're completely separate. A local vault is stored only on the computer. A 1Password.com vault lives in your account on the server. So changing one will not affect the other.

It's insanely frustrating to know my password, but remain still unable to access my account data unless I use a local version of 1P.

I'm sorry for the frustration, but on a positive note you at least don't need to worry about losing data since you still have access to it. My worry was that you could lock yourself by not knowing the Master Password, but it sounds like you actually do and there's just some confusion due to using different ones with different vaults.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (I did read your entire thread before replying)

I'm also sorry you had to read all of that! But I think we're getting close here. Please let me know what you find. :)

This discussion has been closed.