What is the best way to have a personal vault and a business vault with separate passwords?

Options

Hello,

Newb here...

I am using 1Password for Windoze, mainly in an office environment. I would like to be able to share most of the info/logons with others needing access, but would like to have some of it secured in a separate vault. Personal banking, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Sincerely,

Squishy

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win7 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Squishy! And may I say, what a great forum username -- I sincerely hope it was derived from one of my favorite eighteen seconds of video. 🙂

Whatever the origin, though, welcome! What you're asking to do can be done one of two ways - though both require the others you want to share items with be 1Password users as well. If they're not, then we'll be unable to really assist you. Assuming they ARE (or are willing to become) 1Password users, there are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain on your device. Sharing data with others can be accomplished via Dropbox sharing

With a 1Password Teams account:

• You sign up for a1Password Teams account at 1Password.com.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms for all users, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made. Of those two methods, a 1Password Teams account allows for much more flexible and reliable sharing of items in a business environment. It also has numerous other benefits. I'll stop here, as you may already have a host of follow-up questions. Let us know! :)

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Lars,

There will be no need for sharing because all PW's will be used on only one computer.

It sounds like I am not able to have more than one password per user, is that correct?

Sincerely,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@Squishy - Ahhh, gotcha. You can certainly create as many new vaults as you wish, and each vault will indeed need its own password to decrypt; the problem (in terms of what you're trying to do) is that because of the way 1Password is designed, your Master Password unlocks ALL vaults, no matter how many you have. And it requires YOUR Master Password to do so. So you either give others access to all your data (no matter how many vaults you split it up into), or you invite others to have their own 1Password setup, and share a vault with them, either in 1Password Teams or using advanced standalone vault sharing via Dropbox.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Bummer, thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy - you're quite welcome, and sorry 1Password isn't able to do what you want. We could have built it so you would need a separate password for each vault, and then only that vault would be visible...but then we couldn't really call ourselves "1Password" with any degree of honesty; we'd have had to call app "X number of passwords, where X=number of vaults you have" and that just isn't as snappy. ;)

In all seriousness, though, my point in explaining this is to make sure you understand this isn't a bug or a design or functionality failing, it's an intentional design choice to make 1Password more useable for an individual user. We do have quite robust ways to share data amongst multiple users while still keeping one's own data private and visible only to oneself... just not the way you're envisioning it, where multiple users all use the same user account on the same computer.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

So, would you suggest another 1Password account, or something else? Again, I have an office computer which is used by myself and an employee. There are just certain things I would like to keep confidential.

Thanks again for your time.

• bundtkate
    edited March 2018
    Options

@Squishy: You mention the computer is shared, but do y'all have distinct Windows user accounts on the PC? With only one user account, you'd both be signing in and out of your accounts in the app all the time which is ... well ... gross. 1Password is installed per user though, so a Family/Team account with the shared items in the Shared vault would be a great option if you each sign into Windows separately.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Only one user. I rarely access the confidential info, so we could both all of the "non-confidential" logins all day long. If I need to use the confidential, I could log into the other user and then log back out when complete. Doesn't seem like a "yuge" issue, maybe I am wrong.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy - If you don't mind doing that, it's probably the best way to go about what you're trying to do -- if there's only two of you. The only issue would be that you would not have access to all your items at the same time -- you'd either have the private set or the shared set, but never both. If you don't mind that kind of inconvenience, then you can certainly do it via that route of setting up another user account on the PC in question.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I think I'll try it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy - sounds good! Let us know how it goes for you. Definitely not a recommended way to use 1Password, since you'll only be able to access one portion of your data at a time...but there shouldn't be any security or data integrity issues as long as you don't have duplicate records of any items in BOTH vaults.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Will it be possible to simply move the confidential logins to the new user rather that recreating them?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@Squishy - In 1Password 4 for Windows, you can't view more than a single vault at the same time, so it's not possible for you to just copy or move items from one vault to another.

To separate out your items, you'll need to use control-click to select whichever items you would like to have in a separate vault, then export your data as .1pif. Warning: .1pif files are UNENCRYPTED copies of your data, so make sure to securely delete them after finishing up the export/import process.

Once you've got the .1pif file with all the data you would like in a separate vault, put the .1pif file in a place (like an external USB or flash drive) that all accounts can access, then go ahead and create the second user account on your PC.

Launch 1Password and create a new vault, then import the .1pif data into this vault by clicking on File > Import and following the instructions. This will create a single vault in one user account with one portion of your data, and a second vault in the other user account, with the rest of your data. Let us know how you get on -- and don't forget to delete that .1pif file, once you're done importing.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

In 1Password 4 for Windows, you can't view more than a single vault at the same time, so it's not possible for you to just copy or move items from one vault to another.

Wasn't there some technique along the lines of (1) unlock one vault, (2) select one or more items, (3) Ctrl-C to "copy" them, (4) unlock the second vault, and (5) Ctrl-V to paste them --- something like that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@Squishy, @bkh: That can work, but, depending on your situation this may or may not be a big caveat: that does not work for attachments. You can literally copy the entire item contents of one vault and paste it into another, but attachments will not be carried over that way; you'd need to export them (which 1PIF will include) and then import them into the new vault (or attach them to items there manually). I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I just attempted to download and install a second copy of 1Password 6, but when I run it, it wants my existing Master Password instead of setting up a new instance of it. What am I missing?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just attempted to download and install a second copy of 1Password 6,

@Squishy: Why? To be clear, using multiple copies of 1Password isn't recommended or supported.

but when I run it, it wants my existing Master Password instead of setting up a new instance of it. What am I missing?

Correct. 1Password's data is stored separately from the app. You'd have to remove that as well if you want to start over completely.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Why? Please see discussion above...

So, what was discussed above is, or is not, possible? To have 2 1Password accounts on one machine, yes, or no?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@Squishy: Sure. But your mention of trying to setup a "new instance" of 1Password made it sound like you were changing the subject, which I figured is your call since you started this discussion. ;)

If you want multiple people to use 1Password on the same machine, you can install 1Password under each person's user account in the OS, and each will have their own separate 1Password setup, along with browsers, files etc.

If you yourself want to sign into multiple 1Password.com accounts under your own user account in the OS, you can do that simply by signing into the account in the app you've already setup:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

But that's not going to give you a separate 1Password "instance". If you really want to do that for some reason, use a separate user account in the OS. I know some people do to have a completely different setup for work and personal stuff: different apps, layout, etc. Cheers! :)

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

This is Bloody Maddening! I purchased a second subscription, set up the account, played with it and the original back and forth. Now, two day later I want to access it and add actual item to it and I am not able to access it. In the app on my PC it simply does not like my PW, Login, Whatever. Yes, I have the emerency kit in front of me and everything is typed in correctly, about 100 times... Online, I get the error message referring to Families or Teams. I am not a member of either to my knowledge. I have two individual accounts. What gives?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy: If you've already signed into one account, its information will be remembered. So when you're entering the Master Password for the other account, it doesn't match the rest of your account credentials, namely your Secret Key and email address — though the sign in address will be the same if they're both individual accounts. If you're still having trouble, it would be helpful to know some basic details about what you're doing — or trying to do: the OS, 1Password, and browser versions involved; the exact steps you're taking; what is (or is not) happening as you expect. Thanks in advance!

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version: 6.8.496
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Win7 Pro
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Browser: Firefox 59 (64 bit)

I closed 1Password6 last night and just restarted it this morning. I logged into my original account, no issue (this is in the app, not online). Then, in the upper left-hand corner of the app window, I click on Accounts and then "Sign in to another Account" (this would be the second 1Password6 account that I just purchased). I am then required to put in the Sign-in address (I don't know why if this is local to my computer), email address, Secret Key, and Master Password. I then get the error message "Unable to sign in, please check details provided and your network connection". Keep in mind that this worked on the day I purchased the second account. I went back and forth several times to be sure I knew what was necessary to switch between accounts.

All I had to do on the first day, after clicking on Accounts and then "Sign in to another Account", to switch between accounts was input the Secret Key and the Master Password, no Sign-in address and no email address.

I currently have no need to sign-in to the online service that I know of.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Squishy,

It seems that there is a confusion happening: 1Password app for Windows does not support multiple users. It means that even if you add two separate Individual accounts to the app, you will still use the Master Password from the account that was added first to unlock the app.

If you want to use two different 1Password accounts on the same computer, you can create different Windows users on this PC and install 1Password for each user separately.

Please let me know if it helps. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Greg, but it does not help. I do not want more than one user.

This comment was made above "If you yourself want to sign into multiple 1Password.com accounts under your own user account in the OS, you can do that simply by signing into the account in the app you've already setup:"

Also, I did access both accounts through the app on the day I set the second account up.

What then is the purpose of the drop down, in the upper left-hand corner of the app window - When I click on Accounts and then "Sign in to another Account"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy: It's to sign into another account. For example, I have a 1Password Teams account for work, and a 1Password Families account for personal stuff. I sign into both on most devices, depending on how I use them. Again, that's the app. You've told us what you're trying to do, but can you help us understand what you're trying to accomplish by that? Maybe there's something else we can recommend that will help which isn't constrained by "I want to do this specific thing".

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

From first post:

I am using 1Password for Windoze, mainly in an office environment. I would like to be able to share most of the info/logons with others needing access, but would like to have some of it secured in a separate vault. Personal banking, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy: Right, I understand that you're trying to do that. What I don't understand is, if that's the case, why multiple 1Password.com users with either separate user accounts (which would be more secure anyway, and is built into the OS) or through the 1Password.com website won't work for you.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Did I not just set up a separate user account? Am I confusing the terms you are using?

I don't understand the advantage of the web page over the PC-based app.

• @Squishy: You set up a separate 1Password account, but I think what brenty is referencing is a second Windows user account on the PC. I know you mentioned before you don't want a second user account on the PC, so I'd wager you didn't set that up. Unless you are open to a second user account on the PC, I don't think using the app exclusively is going to fit your needs.

Backtracking a bit here, while you can sign in to two 1Password accounts in the same 1Password 6 for Windows application, the data from these accounts are both going to show up in the app and, as Greg mentioned, the app will unlock with the Master Password for the first account added. My understanding is this is a non-starter for you (you don't want to share all of your data with everyone that uses this PC). Therein lies the advantage of 1Password.com. Each 1Password user signs in to 1Password.com separately, so the data is fully segregated, unlike with two accounts signed in to the 1Password app.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct, there is only one user account on the PC. No, I do not want more than one.

So, I can access both 1Password6 accounts through the app, using the original Master Password? Then how do I get it to recognize which account I would like to open, via the Secret Key? Because right now when I am logged in to the app in the original account and try to switch accounts, a window pops up and wants information to log me into the 1Password.com website.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.