What is the best way to have a personal vault and a business vault with separate passwords?

Options
2»

Comments

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Picture this:

I come into the office in the morning, fire up the confuser, log into my fantastic 1Password6 app, answer some emails, do some online banking, etc. What a breeze!

8:00 rolls around and my assistant shows up. I log out of the 1Password6 app and log back in to the version with the particulars that I would like to "share". The assistant can access the information relative to his/her job responsibilities, access to vendors secure web pages, etc. Wow, it is noon already - Boom, time for the assistant to go home for the day.

I now log out of the "shared" 1Password6 app and log into the one with my personal banking info, Amazon shopping info, etc. on it. I can leave it on until tomorrow morning when the assistant is back again.

I control both accounts in the app, period. I also chose what the assistant gets access to. Same Master Password for both accounts? Perfect! Different Master Password? No problem. Secret Key required for each one? No issue.

Thanks again.

• @Squishy: To do that, you'd need to sign out of the app completely with your account when your assistant arrives (Accounts > Your Account > Sign out), then sign in with her account, which would require that you enter everything you need to sign into the website for that account (e-mail address, sign-in address, Secret Key, Master Password). Once she leaves, you do the same thing again – sign out of her account, sign in with yours. In your hypothetical day, you're entering a Secret Key of some sort 3 times per day. That would annoy me to death and I'd wager most others here feel the same, which is why it's not something we'd recommend. Still, if you're okay with it, it can be done.

Also, in case it's relevant to your use-case here (and it sounds like it would be), in order to share a vault, you'd want to have a Family or Team account with both of you as team members so that you have a Shared vault with the shared info. If you use Individual accounts, your Logins for the vendor's sites and all that wouldn't update when she updates them on her end (and visa versa). If a Family account is sufficient for your needs, it's actually cheaper than two Individual accounts, so it may be you'd want to go this route regardless of whether you truly wish to share these items.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

So there is **absolutely ** no way to switch accounts in the app, without going online, none?

Why is it that the website seems to be involved now, as I never had to use it before?

Does the family/team account have the same functionality as the individual accounts do? May I simply switch accounts?

For whatever it is worth, I am the only one with Keys or Passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Did I not just set up a separate user account? Am I confusing the terms you are using?

@Squishy: My fault. I'm sorry for not being clearer. Indeed, I was referring to a separate user account on the system, but you're right that when we're also talking about 1Password.com user accounts that gets a bit confusing. :blush:

You are correct, there is only one user account on the PC. No, I do not want more than one.

That's what I had though, but wanted to double check. Can I ask why not? That's what the OS vendor would recommend fr this use case (different people accessing the machine), and for a number of usability and security reasons we do as well.

So, I can access both 1Password6 accounts through the app, using the original Master Password?

The 1Password app (under a user account in the OS) will unlock using the first vault/account you setup in it.

Then how do I get it to recognize which account I would like to open, via the Secret Key?

In order to use it that way, essentially with a separate (1Password.com) user setup you'd have to logout of that account and login to another. 1Password, like most other apps (the chief exception is web browsers) is designed to be used by the same person on an ongoing basis, so this isn't something a plan around. You could, however, use the 1Password.com web interface within the browser, and setup separate browser profiles (Chrome calls them "Persons")...but again this is risky, since anyone using that (OS) user account on the machine could be able to collect data from the others as they use it.

Because right now when I am logged in to the app in the original account and try to switch accounts, a window pops up and wants information to log me into the 1Password.com website.

If you're in the app, there is no "account switching" mechanism. You're either signed into a given account or your not. Any you're signed into there are available at the same time. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So there is **absolutely ** no way to switch accounts in the app, without going online, none?

@Squishy: It's a single user app, so while you can sign out of one account and sign into another, that's not a use case we design for.

Why is it that the website seems to be involved now, as I never had to use it before?

1Password.com is a web based service that integrates with the apps. So the only way to use it — or to have an account in the first place — involves the website to some extent.

Does the family/team account have the same functionality as the individual accounts do? May I simply switch accounts?

1Password.com memberships of all kinds have the same basic functionality. 1Password Families adds multiple user accounts, so that each person can have their own data and also share with the others, and 1Password Teams adds additional administrative and power user tools that are more flexible for businesses.

For whatever it is worth, I am the only one with Keys or Passwords.

Then maybe it makes more sense to have a single 1Password Teams user account with all the data, and use that on the computer. I'm sorry I can't be of more help than that at this point, but the way you're trying to set things up is different than how other people have been using 1Password for over a decade, and therefore how we've evolved it over time accordingly.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, I believe I will try either Teams or Families. I have one 1PW6 account I have used for a year plus, and one that I just purchased. Do they migrate over? Do I apply the purchase price to the new plan? What is the procedure?

Thanks again for your patience!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy - If you have a 1password.com individual account that's paid for on an annual basis, then you will have some amount of credit remaining when you switch. That credit will not be automatically applied to the new account (because we can't tell just from the sign-ups what your intentions are), but if you'll write to support@agilebits.com once you've signed up for the 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account and let us know what you're trying to do, one of my colleagues will help guide you through the process. Essentially, you'd need to move over the data so the existing (old) account is empty, then delete that account. Once that's done, we'll apply whatever remained of your subscription cost (pro-rated) to the cost of the new subscription.

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

I will report back after the transition.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy - sounds good! We'll wait to hear from you then. :+1: :)

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, the Families account is enabled, Mathieu was very good to explain the transition to me. I have my original vault with all of the information in it, a Personal vault, and a Shared vault. I will have my wife set one up as well. All of the vaults seem to be accessible all the time, without having to enter a password for access. Surely this is not by design. Otherwise, what is the purpose of separate vaults for different family members. I can see it for the Shared Vault, but for the Personal one? Please explain what I am doing wrong.

Sincerely,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

Okay, the Families account is enabled, Mathieu was very good to explain the transition to me. I have my original vault with all of the information in it, a Personal vault, and a Shared vault. I will have my wife set one up as well. All of the vaults seem to be accessible all the time, without having to enter a password for access. Surely this is not by design.

@Squishy: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you had to enter your Master Password to unlock the app, right? If so, then, yes, that's by design.

Otherwise, what is the purpose of separate vaults for different family members. I can see it for the Shared Vault, but for the Personal one? Please explain what I am doing wrong.

You can't see anyone else's Personal/Private vaults. But if you created additional user vaults (i.e. not actually the Personal/Private vault which is inherently part of each person's account), simply naming them "Personal" does not make them so. A family Organizer can change the permissions of any vault which is not a person's Personal/Private vault which is part of their account and accessible to no one else. Does that help?

• Squishy
    Squishy
    Community Member
    Options

Correct, Master Password required to open.

Sounds like it may help. I will play around and let you know.

Thanks again!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Squishy: Please let us know if you have additional questions, we are always ready to help you with 1Password! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.