Why has 1password become so cryptic & difficult to use for IOS & MAc owners w/t subscriptions?

Options
1pplytdy
1pplytdy
Community Member
edited March 2018 in iOS

I have had to reinstall the ipad app after the last update. It crashed every time I got it open. I powered down the ipad, and still it crashed upon each reopening. The last update was BAD.

I downloaded the IOS app from the app store and when it started up, it asked me for 4 credentials, one being a secret key yet I don't have a subscription. I could not move forward. FRUSTRATED as your website was useless.

The log in took me to an option for a $64 subscription! Stop pushing it as some of us actually have excellent backup programs and know how to sync.

Why does your app not allow those of us without a "secret" key to move forward? It's very confusing as you have almost no info on the login other than to click on a link to find/buy a subscription.

It would be helpful if you stop using the word "key" in your documents that are sent out. My original license docs say, this is your "key" It just adds to the confusion to see "secret or just Key" in your credentials.

And now I am going through all the trouble again trying to put a copy of 1Password on a new macbook and nowhere can I just input my license and move on.

Nowhere on your site is a direct link saying "downloads" I am an early adopter and this is ridiculous as to how I had to waste my time trying to figure out what was going on. I couldn't just move forward after installing the app off the MAC store. Nowhere in the settings was an option that was in previous versions to simply input my license KEY.

In addition I had to go online and saw many others were having the same issue.I use Safari. Please fix your website to do two things, add a DOWNLOADS button and two, if one gets the app off the mac app store, configure it to take our license, and three, don't require a secret key to move forward on an IOS install for those of us who don't have one.

Programs like Dashlane are looking pretty good without the hassle of being bamboozled to buy a subscription I don't want and offer the ease of use 1Password use to have.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:website reinstall

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

I have had to reinstall the ipad app after the last update. It crashed every time I got it open. I powered down the ipad, and still it crashed upon each reopening. The last update was BAD.

@1pplytdy: We haven't had any other reports of that. It sounds like you were just unlucky and got a bad download from the App Store. I'm sorry for the trouble, but glad that reinstalling helped.

I downloaded the IOS app from the app store and when it started up, it asked me for 4 credentials, one being a secret key yet I don't have a subscription. I could not move forward. FRUSTRATED as your website was useless.

Can you elaborate? Our website isn't involved in setting up 1Password with a new standalone vault, or syncing your existing data from another device (under "Already using 1Password?"), which it sounds like you're trying to do. Did you try that?

The log in took me to an option for a $64 subscription! Stop pushing it as some of us actually have excellent backup programs and know how to sync.

No one is pushing you. It sounds like you just ignored the options to use your existing setup.

Why does your app not allow those of us without a "secret" key to move forward?

It does:

Four out of the six options you see there don't involve a Secret Key in any way. Removing those additional options would greatly simplify things for many people — including us — but we keep them there for folks like you, who already purchased 1Password and would like to continue using the version you paid for, because we care.

It's very confusing as you have almost no info on the login other than to click on a link to find/buy a subscription. It would be helpful if you stop using the word "key" in your documents that are sent out. My original license docs say, this is your "key" It just adds to the confusion to see "secret or just Key" in your credentials. And now I am going through all the trouble again trying to put a copy of 1Password on a new macbook and nowhere can I just input my license and move on.

Thanks for the feedback. But, to be honest, 1Password for iOS (or anything purchased from the App Store) does not use a license key at all; rather, the purchase is tied to your Apple ID. And we're always careful to distinguish between a license key (which our desktop apps do use) and the (capital) Secret Key. But again, you simply don't have any kind of "key" for the iOS app specifically.

Nowhere on your site is a direct link saying "downloads" I am an early adopter and this is ridiculous as to how I had to waste my time trying to figure out what was going on. I couldn't just move forward after installing the app off the MAC store. Nowhere in the settings was an option that was in previous versions to simply input my license KEY. In addition I had to go online and saw many others were having the same issue.I use Safari. Please fix your website to do two things, add a DOWNLOADS button and two, if one gets the app off the mac app store, configure it to take our license, and three, don't require a secret key to move forward on an IOS install for those of us who don't have one.

One: we can't. 1Password for iOS cannot be downloaded directly from us. Two: App Store apps can only be downloaded from the App Store, which is owned and operated by Apple. And three: a Secret Key is not required to setup any of the apps; it's only there as one of multiple options, which you need to use only if you have a 1Password.com membership.

Programs like Dashlane are looking pretty good without the hassle of being bamboozled to buy a subscription I don't want and offer the ease of use 1Password use to have.

While you're welcome to continue using 1Password the way you always have, we can't make you and wouldn't want to if you'd prefer to use something else. We'd rather you use a competitor's product than being unhappy, or using nothing at all. If you need help with 1Password, just let us know. And, either way, stay safe out there.

ref: YBK-33723-248

• denbarth
    denbarth
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. long time user of 1Password, need to install on new Mac. Reading this, I think it's because I"ve purchased 1Password directly from Agile Bits, but I tried to reinstall by downloading from App store. Bad idea. I ended up trying to do a 30 day free trial but had to subscribe. Now i'm on the hook for $3.99/month. I sync via dropbox, but the .opvvault or whatever file doesn't exist - it must be only for subscriptions. This is a mess. I"m going to delete the download and think about what to do.

• denbarth
    denbarth
    Community Member
    Options

Can you please tell me where I can enter my license key in 1 password? I cannot find anyplace. Everything is about subscriptions, subscriptions.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @denbarth,

1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is for subscriptions exclusively. If you want to use 1Password with a license you’ll need to download from our website. This will require a new license (1Password 7 is a separate purchase from 1Password 6).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• denbarth
    denbarth
    Community Member
    Options

So, in order to get 1 Password up and running, I’ll simply need to download 7 from the agile bits website and purchase a new license. Got it.

The agile bits website is very confusing about this. It doesn’t distinguish between version 6 and 7.

I missed that 1Password 7 was the latest, apparently. I typically purchase the latest version when it's available.

I am not a big fan of software subscription services due to inevitable issues with handling billing. Every time a credit card company changes something or I switch credit cards, it tends to throw automatic billing out of whack. I’ve spend tons of hours straightening out messes. Just let me buy the thing and be done with it...

• Ben
    Options

So, in order to get 1 Password up and running, I’ll simply need to download 7 from the agile bits website and purchase a new license. Got it.

Correct.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I am not up to date with the new offering, but as an existing user, 1Password existed as a free upgrade on the Mac from v4 to v6.8.9. 1Password 7 for Mac, because it is in beta, is free for the testing duration? Couldn't @1pplytdy, @denbarth, install his 1Password 6.8.9 for Mac and then get 1Password 7 which is free for now? Or just stick to 1Password v6.8.9?

The Agilebits Web Store and the Apple App Store are two separate entities and should not be confused with one another.

I could be mistaken but for iOS, aren't the Pro features still free for existing users, irrespective of whether the user is or isn't a subscriber? Free for users of 1Password 5 onwards from 1Password 4.x for iOS?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: 1Password 7 had a discount for beta testers, but that has been superseded with the launch special now that the beta has ended. Pro Features in 1Password for iOS (or Android) have never been free. But the mobile app can be used in limited fashion without it.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Yeah that makes sense. I guess I would just never store anything sensitive as a bookmark, only public sites for convenience. For anything I want to keep secure and private, it's 1Password. :)

Absolutely! I don't keep bookmarks though. Haven't used one in years. If anything, I just need extensions which I've been manually adding back after a reinstall..

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I somehow cross posted the previous comment in this post which was meant for another post? Odd...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1: I keep those to a minimum too though, since many request some pretty broad permissions.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens again. Totally weird.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:lol:

• 1pplytdy
    1pplytdy
    Community Member
    Options

I was not getting the window you posted and stated so.
    My time as a business owner cannot be bogged down on apps that don't work as I purchased them. I was not allowed to move forward without a "key" and I didn't want to sign up for a subscription either. It was not clear by any screen shots I took at the time to show you what I was talking about. I have had to move on.
    I am seriously considering a different app as I feel 1Password no longer understands their app usage from the customer perspective and clearly wanted to individuate me as the ONLY one having this issue. As the owner of 2 businesses I can tell you, if one customer takes the time to contact you, there are about 2 dozen who are also having the issue and didn't take the time to do contact you. Individuatling the customer who has reached out as being the ONLY one having this issue is not a cool way to keep the business relationship going.

1Password is a strong program but clearly creating confusion with different versions instead of just renaming for the purposes of one being a subscription and one not. I prefer to create different divisions in my company so as not to lose my customers by upping the product version which is offering a whole different set of options and fee structure.

• Ben
    Options

My time as a business owner cannot be bogged down on apps that don't work as I purchased them. I was not allowed to move forward without a "key" and I didn't want to sign up for a subscription either. It was not clear by any screen shots I took at the time to show you what I was talking about. I have had to move on.

I understand your frustration, but the only way to resolve issues is to troubleshoot them. Troubleshooting is a process and sometimes it takes a little time to get through. I don’t see any follow up or screenshots from you here? I’m not sure how we can help if you don’t communicate with us.

I am seriously considering a different app as I feel 1Password no longer understands their app usage from the customer perspective and clearly wanted to individuate me as the ONLY one having this issue. As the owner of 2 businesses I can tell you, if one customer takes the time to contact you, there are about 2 dozen who are also having the issue and didn't take the time to do contact you. Individuatling the customer who has reached out as being the ONLY one having this issue is not a cool way to keep the business relationship going.

I’m sorry we made you feel that way, but I respectfully don’t believe that we did that. In fact there was another customer who posted above (denbarth) who said they were having the same problem, and we helped them through it.

1Password is a strong program but clearly creating confusion with different versions instead of just renaming for the purposes of one being a subscription and one not. I prefer to create different divisions in my company so as not to lose my customers by upping the product version which is offering a whole different set of options and fee structure.

Membership is the way forward. Standalone usage is still possible, but it isn’t advertised, and is not the recommended path. For most useful definitions 1Password membership is 1Password (and vice versa).

The long and short of this whole thread is that if you aren’t seeing the non-membership options on the welcome screen you may need to scroll down. Unfortunately iOS isn’t very intuitive about scrolling. There are no scroll bars to incidate that there is more content further down. In my mind this is a failing of iOS in the interest of asthetics over functionality, but ultimately that is an argument for a different place. Scrolling down should resolve this issue.

Ben

• denbarth
    denbarth
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, I have purchased a standalone 1Password 7 license and am not able to access 1 Password 6 keychain. I opened a new discussion about this, but then thought I had fixed things, but no. I'm going to need some help.

I don't like that membership/subscription is the way forward, by the way. If 1Password moves exclusively to that model, I would have to think long and hard about continuing with 1Password. In the meanwhile, if you are going to have both license and subscription, please support both fully, and make them both clearly visible in your windows. What you are doing right now is not intuitive for those interested in continuing with the license. If you are subtly trying to push us to the subscription, just decide that is the future and discontinue the license and let users decide if they want to stay or not. Half way doing the license is a recipe for frustration.

• Ben
    Options

It definitely can feel like a “darned if you do, darned if you don’t” situation when it comes to continuing to offer licenses. As it stands there is enough demand for them to continue offering them for folks who know they want them, but we’re not going to advertise them or put them up next to membership. I am sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the upgrade, and we’ll be in touch in your other thread ASAP.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.