Installation of 1Password v6.8.496 and using with dropbox

Options

Hello -

I am a long time user and recently upgraded my PC to a new Windows 10 machine. So trying to install 1Password (which was running fine on my previous machine using dropbox sync). I have 3 install packages that i've tried and cannot get anyone to work:

version 6.1.308: this is what i was running on my previous machine and i was able to connect to dropbox. when i installed on my new PC and clicked on the dropbox logo to sign-in, i was able to sign into dropbox. But got a messaging stating that it could find any 1password files (i still use this account with several iPhone devices running 1Password, so i know it works).

version 6.8.496: i downloaded this installer and was able to successfully install. but it seems this version does not have the ability to connect to dropbox at all.

version 7.0.514: also was able to download & install. but this version also does not seem to have a dropbox sync capability.

what do you recommend to get back up & running on my PC?

thanks!
Rajeev

1Password Version: v6.1.3.08, v6.8.496, v7.0.514
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jeev: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password 6 does not support local vaults or Dropbox, only 1Password.com accounts. Originally we offered a Dropbox option to make it easier to import data, but we changed that to loading a vault directly for import later on to make that clearer. If you want to make the transition to a 1Password.com account and use 1Password 6, that's easy to do and we're happy to help. Otherwise, if you want to stick with local vaults you'll need to continue to use the standalone version you paid for for now. 1Password 7 will have support for local vaults and licenses, and be for sale as a standalone app when it's finished, but the alpha doesn't have full support for local vaults or Dropbox sync capability yet. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• kludge
    kludge
    Community Member
    Options

Do I understand this correctly, 1Password 7 will restore support for Dropbox?

That would make me very happy. I understand that 1Password works hard and deserves a revenue stream. I have been using the product on Mac, iOS and Windows since 2010 and I have always been happy with the products and consider it 100% reasonable to pay for all the support, updates and features.

That said, I really prefer to control where my data goes. I do not even know where 1Password membership account data is stored: AWS, Azure, Google, home grown cloud + security?

I understand some features you offer may only work with a 1Password account. However, there is a big difference in telling me something like, 'features X, Y and Z are only supported with 1Password membership' compared to saying, 'Dropbox remains available in an old version of a product that will eventually no longer be supported'. If you choose not to support my ability to choose where my data goes, I will have to choose another solution.

And I am happy to pay you enough that the thought of loosing me is incentive enough to support me. :)

Mike.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

Do I understand this correctly, 1Password 7 will restore support for Dropbox?

@kludge: Yep. That's the plan. ;)

That would make me very happy. I understand that 1Password works hard and deserves a revenue stream. I have been using the product on Mac, iOS and Windows since 2010 and I have always been happy with the products and consider it 100% reasonable to pay for all the support, updates and features.

Thank you for that! We love what we do and wouldn't be here without the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers! :chuffed:

That said, I really prefer to control where my data goes. I do not even know where 1Password membership account data is stored: AWS, Azure, Google, home grown cloud + security?

We use AWS instances in multiple regions. Definitely check out the security white paper for more details on that and how we secure our customers' encrypted data.

I understand some features you offer may only work with a 1Password account. However, there is a big difference in telling me something like, 'features X, Y and Z are only supported with 1Password membership' compared to saying, 'Dropbox remains available in an old version of a product that will eventually no longer be supported'. If you choose not to support my ability to choose where my data goes, I will have to choose another solution.

I hear you. 1Password.com is still the best option for most people, especially given its security model, but certainly it isn't a perfect fit for everyone. That's why we've been working so hard to bring local vaults and sync to the new Windows app. It's not ready for prime time yet, but we have a public alpha available if you want to take a look at what we've been up to. We'd love your feedback since this is something you're specifically interested in! :)

And I am happy to pay you enough that the thought of loosing me is incentive enough to support me. :) Mike.

Thank you, Mike. Seriously. We often have to make tough calls about what to work on and what not to, but we're excited to get you excited about what we're doing now. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.