1Password needs to be more user-friendly with "remember me" checkboxes

Ok, this issue has started to get really annoying so I just had to say something. :)

Obviously when you store a login for the first time 1Password won't see and hence won't be able to store the remember me checkbox state, no problem there - so you generally have to go in and add it manually unfortunately.

This isn't the main issue though - when you use 1Password to login to a site, it would be nice if 1Password didn't CLEAR the checkbox state back to unticked when you check it manually! So basically 1Password is saying, sorry, I don't have that field stored, and even though I don't have it stored, I'm just going to change it to being empty for you even though you obviously checked it yourself :)

So, really, the only way around this currently is you either have to go in and add this field yourself, OR you have to turn off auto-submit. :(

Can 1Password please implement a more user-friendly practice here?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90 (Firefox)
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cyphix333,

I would be interested in working through an example if you have one in recent memory. The reason for the request is my only experiences of 1Password altering the state of a remember me checkbox is if the state is saved in the Login item. If it is 1Password will match the saved state when you ask it to fill. You shouldn't need to add a field to the Login item, only to alter the checkbox in the Login item to match your preference.

You raised an interesting case though, where if we know conclusively that the user has set the checkbox we could respect its current state even if it is the opposite of what 1Password has saved. I know we can determine if a user typed something in an input field but I'm not sure we have something similar for checkboxes so I'll need to look. We can't just assume the current state was as the user intended though given some checkboxes are disabled by default whilst others are enabled. If there is a way to say without doubt then it could be a nice addition.

For long term behaviour though it is much better to adjust the Login item so it matches your preferred behaviour, that way you don't have to tick or untick a checkbox each time in conjunction with instructing 1Password to fill as 1Password will ensure it is set to your preferred setting.

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hi @littlebobbytables and thanks for the response.

A recent example would bee (see what I did there? ;)) for this site https://beemaster.com/forum/

I just confirmed it does this beehaviour (Ok, I'll stop :()....... I checked the site in the 1Password app and didn't see any mention of the remember me field (so it shouldn't alter it if I check it); however upon using the Firefox extension it fills out the username/password and removes the checked state of the remember me box.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @cyphix333,

So I've found the source of the issue and part of me is surprised we don't see this occur a bit more often - it must just not be that common.

A number of our approaches to filling are based on frequently observed behaviours or objects found on sign-in pages. One of these filling approaches looks to see if the Login item has a checkbox field stored in it and if the page to be filled does as well. If both have a single checkbox we rightly or wrongly assume they both represent a remember me checkbox.

Now the site in question, their registration page has a checkbox and so if a Login item was saved on the registration form there will be field in the web form details that represents the Allow users to email me option. When you then go to fill on the sign-in form 1Password makes the mistake and is setting the remember checkbox based on the Allow users to email me checkbox in the Login item.

Here's the tough bit. We don't collect any data from 1Password so we rely on user reports for when things go awry. Given this is the first report of this behaviour being undesirable I have to conclude that either people aren't reporting it or that for the majority of instances 1Password gets things right. If I delete the checkbox field from a Login item saved on the registration page then with no checkbox stored in the Login item 1Password leaves the remember me checkbox alone. So I'm torn between whether this is something we should change or if I can reasonably say that it works in the majority of cases and that it's beneficial despite the occasional exception.

In the case of the Beemaster forum saving a new Login item on the sign-in page would mean 1Password sets the checkbox as you prefer it every time you have 1Password fill and saving a new Login item should be easier and quicker than editing the existing one, especially given how 1Password 4 & 6 currently handle checkbox fields (you have to know to set the value to a ✓ - not intuitive).

Is the Beemaster forum an exception to 1Password's normal handling or have you found a number of sites that accidentally fit this scenario?

I avoided any puns simply because I don't think I could best your own efforts, I doff my hat to you.

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

@littlebobbytables Thanks for the response once again and for explaining it - and your hat gesture is too much kind sir ;)

Will certainly be easier to manage since I now know to just delete any checkboxes that don't matter from the Login item.

I guess I thought it was all based on field name, but I guess technically you can't rely on the form field names being the same on the signup page that they are on the login page; so I can see why you have to assume with the checkbox; however, I will say, if there is a checkbox on the signup form, it's highly unlikely it would have anything to do with staying signed in no? Can't say I have ever seen that, so perhaps no need to treat those checkboxes found there as potential remember me states; but I don't know the inner workings of 1Password, so maybe it's done that way because the user may initially store the details on the actual login page and not the signup page and then in this case, the existence of a checkbox is obviously important. Hmmmm.

As for other sites that do this, there has been a number of them yes; I think it's common with forums like the bee site, but pretty sure I have seen it on others too; I can keep an eye out and report any others I notice it on from now on if that would help? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cyphix333: Yeah it's tough because 1Password has no real way of knowing if a page is for "sign up" or "sign in", as they often include similar fields (username, password, etc.) — and in many cases all of this is on the same page. So it's always going to be best to save a login on the page where you want to use it. That way 1Password can save information to help it fill that specific page. And also, that gets you the login URL you want to use anyway, allowing you to open and fill there from 1Password (as opposed to ending up back on the signup page every time). Like lil bobby, I haven't seen many sites like that either, and, as you can imagine, I test a lot of sites with 1Password (though probably fewer than he)...but as always which sites can make a big difference. It's possible that our customer base is somehow self-selecting for other types of sites, so it's really helpful to get examples like these. Don't ever hesitate to reach out if you encounter others we need to look at. Cheers! :)

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

@littlebobbytables @brenty This is why I love 1Password and why I decided to purchase it, not only is the app superior (IMHO) to the first password manager I tried, but the support is hands down a lot better and you can always be confident you will get a response.

Keep up the good work guys!

Side note: Really need to add a "thumbs up" emote around here! :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow. Thank you! :love:

Honestly, the only reason we're even here is because we have such awesome customers like you. It's always a pleasure to not only help, but also have interesting discussions like this one. Thanks for supporting us so we can keep doing what we love! :chuffed:

P.S: ;) :+1:

You can make the built-in "thumbs-up" icon here with :+1:, but Unicode emoji now works as well (finally!) 😉👍

This discussion has been closed.