safari extension always requires authorization

Options

On opening Safari, the 1PW extension always asks for reauthorization. The proper code is always present. Entering the code works fine and the extension works. When I quit Safari and reopen it, the authorization window appears again. I have restarted the Mac, I have checked that "always block cookies" is off, and I have successfully uninstalled and reinstalled the extension.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AllUserNamesInUse - Sorry for the inconvenience! It's difficult for me to say what the exact problem is, but typically if 1Password mini is continually asking to reauthorize the 1Password extension in Safari, it's due to something interfering with the communication between the mini and the extension OR you're emptying Safari's history/cache either automatically or manually at the end of each session. Do you have any utilities that do this installed? Or any proxy or antivirus software? Perhaps a VPN that's routing local connections through itself, when it shouldn't?

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member
    Options

I use Kaspersky Internet Security and I’m not using a VPN. I don’t think anything is dumping the cache. To the best of my knowledge, nothing on the machine has changed since the extension was working without problems, except for a fruitless attempt at getting MS OneNote running. Long story short, I was unable to log in to the Onedrive acct required for the app because I am connected via iCloud to a my work machine on which OneNote is running using the fire-walled work Onedrive. Apparently even though the user credentials are different for the two accts, the iCloud connection somehow prevents me from running a personal copy of OneNote. So there was some network weirdness going on but that is not an issue now as far as I can tell.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AllUserNamesInUse - none of that sounds immediately like it might be the problem (well, except for Kaspersky, and that depends on settings). So, at this point, to get a better idea of what's going on with your specific 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#USA-52695-337]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @AllUserNamesInUse only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: USA-52695-337

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent the report but it may be superfluous. Safari loaded with no problems today. I just thought of one other issue that may have contributed to the problem. In addition to web-based login problems on OneDrive, I also began using Evernote which also has a web-based login. I had some problems with authorizing/revoking/reauthorizing devices. Anyway, it will be interesting if you see something in the diagnostics.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @AllUserNamesInUse,

Please do keep us informed. The diagnostic report indicated that Safari was failing to either store or retrieve the previous authorisation details and this would cause the extension to start the process over again. What it sadly never directly tells us is why it happens to some people. Some people have found a restart resolves it and they're not bothered again, for some we help them reset Safari and we've found that helped a number of people. Hopefully you won't be plagued by it any more even if we don't learn the precise cause in this instance.

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member
    Options

OK! I always shut down in the PM so I restart every day, Maybe the last restart after all the other network-related weirdness
    was the end of problem.................

• dalton
    Options

Let's hope that's the case, @AllUserNamesInUse. 🤞🙂

This discussion has been closed.