poor performance windows 10 firefox?

apeshake
apeshake
Community Member
edited March 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, I love 1p but ever since switching from mac to pc i've had a few annoying issues - nothing critical but it seems that 1p on windows 10 performs very poorly compared to mac (using firefox on both machines)... out of quite a few niggling issues there are 3 problems that I would like to find a solution for;

• 1p icon on firefox does not always respond, I often have to click 3 or 4 times before the menu appears

• When 1p opens a new webpage I want to log in to, it will often not fill in the username/password fields. I will often have to click the login item in the 1p menu between 1 and 4 times before 1p fills in the form, and the website login button is almost never activated even though most of my logins are set to activate the login straight away (i usually just click the login button manually in the end)

• this is maybe a limitation of 1p on windows but it's pretty annoying after coming from the smooth experience on mac: When i click the 1p menu button and start typing in the login i want (eg. adobe) the top search result is not highlighted. On mac the top result is immediately highlighted so eg. I can just type 'adobe' then press enter and in a few moments i'm logged into the adobe website. On windows I have to insert [down arrow] twice before I can press enter.

I assume the 1st two are bugs and the 3rd (coupled with the fact windows is 2(?) versions behind) makes me think 1p on windows is just one step away from being discontinued... I really hope not!

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@apeshake: I'm not seeing any difference in performance between Firefox and Chrome. Are you? We're not going to be making changes to the old version unless critical security issues are discovered. But you may find you have better luck using the keyboard shortcut — Ctrl \ — for filling. Web browsers (Firefox especially, but also Windows itself) have changed significantly since 1Password 4 was created, but give that a try and let me know if it helps, as I know it has others.

1Password for Windows is not being discontinued. Quite the contrary: we've built a new Windows app over the past year or so — 1Password 6 — and are currently testing version 7. But 1Password 4 is no longer under active development in favour of those. A big part of why we started from scratch was to overcome the limitations of older toolsets and use Microsoft's latest stuff to give 1Password a bright future on the platform. I hope that helps clarify things, but let me know if you have any questions at all!

• apeshake
    apeshake
    Community Member

Thanks for your help - this probably sounds a bit dumb but I genuinely (through lack of research) didn't realise I wasn't on the latest windows version! I use a lot of music software where the licenses are usually not OS specific so I forgot some software has different licenses for different OSs.

I'm more than happy to upgrade my windows 1password to v6 if it is feature-matched to the mac version?

• @apeshake: Differences between 1Password on different operating systems do linger (and likely always will given their differing capabilities), but 1Password 6 for Windows is certainly closer to 1Password 6 for Mac to my mind. The mere fact that it's newer makes a large difference on its own. That said, because you're using 1Password 4, I know you're likely also using a standalone vault. 1Password 6 on Windows only works with a 1Password membership, so while you certainly can make the switch and upgrade, you would not be able to use your existing license.

I love my 1Password membership and it's all I've personally ever used. I hate thinking about syncing, I hate dealing with a lengthy setup process, and I don't have to deal with either with a 1Password membership. I also love sharing passwords with my parents in my Family account so that I don't have to worry about our shared passwords being weak so that my folks can remember them – they just grab them from our Shared vault. Still, if standalone vaults and licenses are your preference, that's fine. You'll need to stick with 1Password 4 for now, but 1Password 7 will have you covered when it's ready to go. :chuffed:

• apeshake
    apeshake
    Community Member

Great thanks for the info - I decided to give the subscription trial a go. I can't get the firefox addon to work - it's installed, but greyed out (I uninstalled the extension, then re-installed using the link in the new 1 password app)

What am I doing wrong?

Best,
    Joe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@apeshake: You'll need to make sure you have Native Messaging enabled in 1Password (v4: Help > Advanced; v6: Settings > Advanced). What versions of 1Password, Firefox, and the extension are you using now?

• apeshake
    apeshake
    Community Member

Great that did it thanks!

• apeshake
    apeshake
    Community Member

PS i'm on latest versions (dloaded a couple of days ago) - 6.8.496 desktop, 4.7.0.90 extension, in case you still wanted to know!

thanks again

• @apeshake: Glad you decided to give a 1Password membership a try. I hope the switch helps with Firefox (and your 1Password experience on Windows overall), but do let us know how it goes! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.