I tried to AirDrop a 1PW Note to my wife's iPhone

norm
norm
Community Member

But a dialog on her iPhone said she didn't have permission to add. That is not a direct quote. Sorry.

My first and main concern is what happened to my secure Note contents. Did it get erased or do I have a security risk?

How best to securely transfer Notes or Login to another 1PW user as I'm trying to do?

Leaving on a trip and now I'm in this XXXX.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sending a secure Note to another 1Password user

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@norm - transferring via AirDrop is not secure, as any method such as using Messages or AirDrop needs to render the item in cleartext. You didn't mention what device you're doing this from, but if your wife and you share a 1Password Families account, it's quite easy: just put the item in the Shared vault, and you're done: both of you can access it, and all changes are updated/synced automatically.

If one or both of you is using standalone 1Password, however, then things get more involved. You can set up a Dropbox shared vault if both of you are Dropbox users, but beyond that, any method is equally usable. AirDrop certainly should've worked, but since you're in a rush and it isn't working, try Messages. Let us know if you run into any problems.

• norm
    norm
    Community Member

Thank you very much.

What would have happened to the AirDrop file? Hope it is not floating around.

I thought since we are both on same network, wifi and wired, that I could do securely. Guess not?

In the long distant past, I believe I exported a login or note in 1PW format and then did a file transfer from my Mac to hers. Is that still possible and secure?

Appreciate all the help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@norm - your original AirDrop attempt would simply have failed, based on your description of the error message, so no worries about it hanging out somewhere forever.

What you may be remembering from "the long-distant past" is a transfer in .1pif format, which is a native 1Password format that we created...but it's still unencrypted. In general, I would use these as little as possible, since it doesn't represent true sharing, in the active sync sense of the word. What you're doing when you send one or more items via AirDrop or Messages or .1pif - even if they WERE encrypted (which they're not) - is sending someone a copy of the item. They can import it into their 1Password, but now there are two entirely separate copies of the same data, on two different devices. If one of you changes the password at a site you've "shared" in this way, the other person's copy of that data is not only obsolete but unusable: they can no longer sign into that site unless you remember to tell them the password. If you find yourself wanting to "share" 1Password items in this way more than very occasionally, you should look into a synced Shared vault, available in a 1Password Families account.

• norm
    norm
    Community Member

Thanks Lars....
    Very helpful info.
    Tardy response due to traveling since last post.
    Thanks again, Norm

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem. Glad Lars was able to help. Hope you had good travels. We're here if you need us. :)

Worth noting though in case it helps you or anyone else that AirDrop is a secure communication channel, so there's no need to worry about things "floating around". What Lars was saying though is that when you "share" an item in this fashion, it is no longer encrypted and secured in 1Password. So at the other end, if your wife saved it anywhere other than 1Password or left it on the clipboard it would not be secure there. Based on the error you mentioned, it sounds like she had an issue with AirDrop on her device. I've encountered problems like that myself, and usually just resetting Bluetooth or restarting the device helps. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.