Adding Bank of America account problems

Added a new family member today and was helping them get started. When we were adding the info for their Bank of America account, we logged in and saved info. All good, then we changed the password to a more secure password. Logged out/in and when filling in the security question answers it came up and asked to save in 1Password. This erased the new password we had created and put in the security answer instead. We had not saved the new password outside of 1Password so had to go in for reset by email since we didn't have the old password to change to a new password.

I'm not asking for fixes but to let you know about issues with Bank of America. I suspect it's their forms and not 1Password that is at fault. However, if there is any way you can do anything about seeing security answers as passwords so it doesn't prompt 1Password to save that would be great. Anyway, lesson learned to save the password as text file until all the data is added to 1Password.

To top off a frustrating new experience, when we changed the password and updated security questions for another Bank, they decided to lock them out of their account with no way to get back in until Monday. Another lesson, don't change bank passwords late in the day or on week ends.

This user was on El Capitan OS X 10.11.6 with the latest version of 1Password installed today. They have a touch bar and love the fingerprint option.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dianeoforegon,

So it's a bit late for you now given you've already gone through the password reset dance but if you should ever end up in a situation similar to this then a stress saving tip that you may like is: anytime time you update a password the old password is stored in the password history for that Login item. It only applies to Login items and the show previously used passwords button will only appear if that Login item has had more than one password stored over the item's lifespan. In this case it would have allowed you to retrieve the real password quickly without having to jump through whatever hoops Bank of America require to reset a password. When I say hoops it's one of those areas where you probably begrudge whatever they make you do but then you really don't want somebody else being able to easily pretend they are you either so they need to make sure you are indeed you.

If Bank of America routinely ask security questions as part of the sign-in process then one option is to instruct 1Password not to offer autosave with this domain. The next time you're prompted, click on the cog icon in the lower left hand corner and select the menu option Never Autosave for this Site. It will mean manually updating the Login item if the password is changed but it will stop prompts if the site uses password fields for the security questions.

Internally I've seen a request to ignore instances of these if the Login item stores the security questions in custom fields which might help but I fear wouldn't have helped in this case if you hadn't had time to setup all the extra fields in the Login item.

This discussion has been closed.