Master password change not sync'ing across devices

Options
prime99
prime99
Community Member

Hello, I've changed my master password on my Mac. My password file is sync'd to my phone with DropBox. I'm not seeing the master password update on my iPhone. I've confirmed sync is working fine by adding a new secure note on the mac and it shows up right away in 1Password on the iPhone. Why is the master password not being updated as well?

1Password Version: 7.0.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 11.2.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:master password

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It is possible that you may have been caught out by the non-intuitive way the master password syncs.

If you change the master password on one device, it does not change immediately on the other. You have to use the old password at least once on the other device in order for it to be aware of the new password. Once you have done that, you can use either password to unlock. And, after that, once you have used the new password the old one can no longer be used.

• prime99
    prime99
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. Two issues:
    (1) My phone is still only accepting the old password and not the new. Again I confirm the opvault file is being sync'd.

(2) This seems like a security flaw. The use case is that I want to push out a new password because I believe my old password to be compromised (or in my current case, one of my devices stolen and I want to go with something stronger). Suggestion to the team would be to sync in the background and require the new password immediately.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @prime99,

(1) My phone is still only accepting the old password and not the new. Again I confirm the opvault file is being sync'd.

In that case you may need to change the Master Password on the iPhone as well.

(2) This seems like a security flaw. The use case is that I want to push out a new password because I believe my old password to be compromised (or in my current case, one of my devices stolen and I want to go with something stronger). Suggestion to the team would be to sync in the background and require the new password immediately.

That isn’t possible when using 1Password ‘standalone.’ We wrote a blog post back in 2015 about this, which you can find here:

AgileBits Blog | How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

At that time there wasn’t an alternative solution. Today, if you need that feature, you’d need a 1Password.com membership, where changing of Master Passwords works as you described.

Ben

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

So I just logged in to report the same "bug" as the original poster. I subsequently also read that blog about master passwords. So here's my customer feedback. I don't care about all the technobabble in that blog. All I know is that I changed the master password for 1Password on my Mac and my expectation was that 1Password would figure out what it needed to make that new password sync (via iCloud in my case) just like it does when it syncs my private data. Anything else is counter-intuitive and customer hostile. If Steve Jobs was running AgileBits and came across this bug (I'm definitely calling this a bug) then he'd have someone's head on a stick. Form a think tank and fix this mess. I want 1Password to "just work". I fully expect some backlash from this post. So be it.

ref: DTF-59364-994

• Ben
    Options

Hey @MickM -

That’s exactly what 1Password.com makes happen — it just works. :) Without 1Password.com this isn’t a bug, it is working as designed. It is unlikely that the behavior will change.

Ben

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member
    Options

So let me see if I have this right: the bug reported here is “fixed” when you pay the monthly fee for your subscription based version of 1Password i.e. 1Password.com. Otherwise, if you’re not paying, it’s declared to not be a bug and working as designed. Ok then, I’m now motivated to look elsewhere for my password manager. What happened to you guys?...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018
    Options

So let me see if I have this right: the bug reported here is “fixed” when you pay the monthly fee for your subscription based version of 1Password i.e. 1Password.com

We offer two different things: 1Password.com membership, and the standalone 1Password applications. What you’ve requested is available with 1Password.com. It isn’t available when using the apps standalone. If you’d like for 1Password to work the way you’ve described you’d need a 1Password.com membership. This isn’t a bug, and so there is nothing to “fix.”

Ok then, I’m now motivated to look elsewhere for my password manager. What happened to you guys?...

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

That would be a last resort, but yes, that would do it too.

Ben

• mseery
    mseery
    Community Member
    Options

I have run into a similar situation today when I used “Change Master Password” on my iPad but the iPhone still requires the old Master Password. Very confusing.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mseery,

Do you use a 1Password membership? If so, do you have a vault called "Primary" on any of the devices? The data in that should be moved to a membership vault and it should be deleted, if you do. When a Primary vault exists the 1Password app unlocks using that vault's password instead of your 1Password.com Master Password.

When using 1Password without a membership it may be necessary to change your Master Password on each device.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.