Creating new Logins, workflow not very smooth?

Options
neonb
neonb
Community Member
edited March 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi! A newbie here.

Creating new login details seems more difficult to me than it should. There are two (I think) different ways to accomplish that, but each one has some drawbacks.

So, I'm on the sign up page of some new site, and I...
1. Open the app (no keyboard shortcut), create new Login, copy & paste details, finish signing up. Requires switching between apps, and typing the URL manually.
2. Open the password generator from browser extension (no keyboard shortcut), copy & paste password, finish signing up, auto-save new Login. Now there's an extra Password entry from the generator that I have to delete. And if the password didn't pass requirements and I have to generate another one, there are two extra entries.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Is there a better workflow?

The first option would be a bit better if the Windows app didn't take 3 seconds for both opening an entry for creation/editing and saving.

And by the way, the auto-saved website URLs could have the subdomains automatically stripped for better recognition on sites with many subdomains. Or the suggestions could ignore the subdomains when looking for URL matches. Or another solution to the same effect.

EDIT:
In case you're wondering how I think it should go, something like this:

• Use keyboard shortcut to open the Save new Login dialog, includes a password generator like the app
  • Copy & paste details (dialog doesn't close), finish signing up
  • Click "Save" in the dialog to save the new Login

I understand this is quite different from how the tools are built right now, but I'm also pretty confident that something like that would take the least time and effort from the user. :) As a slightly simpler alternative, just a keyboard shortcut to open the app's Login creation with some details like the URL prefilled would work.

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Windows 7 and 10
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @neonb! Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. However, your first method should never be used. Different categories of items can be created in 1Password, and for everything except logins, you should use the method you describe: click the plus button, enter details into the form fields in 1Password itself.

Website logins are a different beast, and you should always use the 1Password extension in your browser to capture all of a login page's details. Here's the recommended method of saving and filling login items. Give that a read/walk-through, and let us know if you have any questions. :)

• neonb
    neonb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars, and thanks for your reply.

The thing with method number 2 is 1Password saves a new Password entry automatically every time the password generator is used. They have to be deleted afterwards. So the amount of effort ends up being pretty much the same between the methods, unfortunately. Also, the generator doesn't have a "Fill" button like in the guide, only a "Copy" one, although that's not a big issue.

Forgot to mention that I'm using Firefox. On Windows.

I guess what I'm missing with auto-save (and why I suggested something different) is the ability to edit the details. Sometimes the sign-up address is different from login address. And sometimes the username isn't what you use to log in, it's the email (I don't know if 1Password deals with this automagically somehow). Or maybe you want to add multiple URLs, or notes.

You can disregard what I said earlier about subdomains – it seems that 1Password deals with them just fine. I must have typoed something somewhere to get a different idea. :|

Also, I was about to complain that Ctrl-\ isn't customizable, but it turns out that changing the "Show 1Password mini" shortcut key in the app also changes the auto-fill shortcut. :S Maybe it's me being dense but I think it should say something about the other function.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@neonb

Forgot to mention that I'm using Firefox. On Windows.

You actually did mention that you're a Windows user in your initial post, but not the Firefox part. Regardless, there will always be differences in how these things function, based on differences in OS -- even though we try to make the experience as familiar across platforms as we can.

1Password will always save every password generated by the internal password generator, because sometimes things can go wrong with item creation. A bit of javascript gets in the way and 1Password's save dialogue doesn't fire. You don't have the preference set to save new login items when submitted. Any of a large number of things could potentially go wrong, so we save a generated password and the site information for it. That way, you'll never have a situation where a long, non-memorable password was generated for your account but not saved.

What I'll do sometimes if I know that the registration page is very different both in layout and possibly even in URL from the actual sign-in page is generate the password on the registration page and choose the copy to clipboard option, enter the registration form and then choose to NOT save the item. Then I'll return to the actual sign-in page, enter my username or email address (depending) and paste the password I just generated, and then save the login item "cleanly" there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, I find that saving a login on the actual login page makes using the site much smoother from then on, since I can just open the page using 1Password and I'm right where I need to be to login. Cheers! :)

• neonb
    neonb
    Community Member
    Options

Right, a lot of that makes sense, but I still think there could be another solution to the redundant password entries. The password dialogue could stay open until either you close it or the auto-save dialog replaces it, for example. That way you couldn't lose the password if something fails.

Also, some sites log you in immediately when you sign up. Then you'd have to sign out and in again just to save the login. I think just being able to view and edit some details in the auto-save dialog wouldn't hurt.

I get that these aren't mission critical things, but they add a few unnecessary steps to using 1Password which makes it feel a bit clunky.

(Overall, I really like the product! :) )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Right, a lot of that makes sense, but I still think there could be another solution to the redundant password entries. The password dialogue could stay open until either you close it or the auto-save dialog replaces it, for example. That way you couldn't lose the password if something fails.

@neonb: Believe me, I wish it were that simple.

Also, some sites log you in immediately when you sign up. Then you'd have to sign out and in again just to save the login. I think just being able to view and edit some details in the auto-save dialog wouldn't hurt.

Yep. There just isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

I get that these aren't mission critical things, but they add a few unnecessary steps to using 1Password which makes it feel a bit clunky. (Overall, I really like the product! :) )

Thanks for the kind words, and the constructive criticism. I agree that there's room for improvement. And in a lot of cases, there are some seemingly obvious, dead-simple things we could do that would help in a lot of cases. The challenge is that any time there's an edge case, it can get someone locked out of an account — possibly a very important one. So we intentionally err a bit on the side of error and save every generated password the users "uses". 1Password has no real way of knowing user intent, so we'd rather have a safety net just in case. I know when it feels like it gets in your way, this sucks, but if and when you need it, you're glad it's there. I know I have been. If in the future we can streamline things without sacrificing user data, I'm sure we will. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.