Opera 53 Error [fixed in v6.8.9]

2»

Comments

• Pretty well summed up. This issue was posted in March when 53 was in beta. I guess now that it's release, the problem didn't go away.
    Maybe Agilebits thought they would get 1Password7 released before Opera went to 53.

• When we have something to announce I will update our forum post at Opera 53 (Mac): 1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser . I wish there was something more I could say just now but for the moment it's a case of watch this space. I do understand people's frustration at being denied their preferred browser.

• slackeroslackero
    edited May 12

Frustrating! The developers of 1Password are not able to change a certificate for the Opera v53 browser extension in the last 2 months.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited May 14

@slackero: We have, in 1Password 7. 1Password 6 is not under active development. We'll see what we can do though.

• Very. Very. Very bad composition of interests, money and security. I hope you at AgileBits are in touch with your needs about future customers. Because existing customer is already closing this door.
    Wish you a lot of luck. It will be needed.

(Password to this site is not saved by 1Password. Guess why.)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I don't think it's reasonable at all to expect that software purchased years ago will continue to be updated indefinitely for changes with 3rd party software, but, as mentioned previously, we're looking into this. When we have news in this area the announcement will be updated: Opera 53 (Mac): 1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser .

• One more thing.
    Look here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password/id443987910
    "Version 6.8.8"

• brentybrenty

Team Member

That's the Mac App Store version of 1Password.

• Ok, AgileBits, you have your right. We, customers, have our money. Time will tell, who was right.
    Over and out.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi folks. I have some very promising news to share. Development is going to be working on 1Password v6.8.9 which will have the updated code signature for Opera. I can’t say when it’ll be available, but it is on the map.

Thanks!

Ben

• igrolesigroles
    edited May 16

That's good news, Ben, and I hope it's soon, I'm for one am already testing LastPass.

Let me for a second underline the part about the "updated indefinitely" mentioned by Brenty. 1P-6 is the current version of the software, not a legacy version. Even if 1P-7 comes to market tomorrow, I'd still expect Agile Bits to support 1P-6 for a while, as it is the norm. And again, let's not forget nobody is asking for new features here, just to introduce Opera 53 signature code in the next build.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

That's good news, Ben, and I hope it's soon, I'm for one am already testing LastPass.

Good. I’d encourage everyone to do so. I hope you’ll find that 1Password is still the best solution for you, and you continue using it for that reason. We want people to choose to use 1Password because it is the right choice for them, not because they haven’t seen what the competition has to offer.

Let me for a second underline the part about the "updated indefinitely" mentioned by Brenty. 1P-6 is the current version of the software, not a legacy version. Even if 1P-7 comes to market tomorrow, I'd still expect Agile Bits to support 1P-6 for a while, as it is the norm. And again, let's not forget nobody is asking for new features here, just to introduce Opera 53 signature code in the next build.

Development on v6 will likely stop w/r/t much if anything but security fixes when v7 is released, but until then I agree with you: v6 is the current version and we should support it as such.

Ben

• edited May 17

I do not consider it an acceptable option to link an addon from 1password to the browser version, since the browser's addon engine is the same. It should still give the option for the user to decide not to force that [edited] out of the browser. This is just an excuse to force the user to pay for a new license, when he may be satisfied with version 6, for example.

Stop being dishonest and do something that is really innovative and that motivates your customers to upgrade and not create disruptions. This is a dirty and dishonest company thing.

I am already looking for alternatives because I would never buy a license to correct such a ridiculous fix, since I am a developer and I know that it must be solved by including a few lines of code or just letting the user decide whether to use his [removed] navigator with signatures or not .

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @rogerlucas,

First: please review the forum rules. That type of language isn’t permitted here. Thanks.

Second: I understand your position, but we feel that verifying code signatures of browsers is a valuable tool in helping customers stay secure, and as such the behavior isn’t likely to be changed or be bypassable.

Ben

• Hello @Ben,

I use 1password since version 4 and I have 3 licenses of it, but I've already uninstalled it and I'm evaluating another solution that by the way has all the features of 1password and works in Opera 53 with active signature verification and the best: if someday does not recognize the subscription I can temporarily disable de verification, the tool allows this. How cool is not it?

They hope that this policy of the company is paying off. Goodbye and never again.

I will send an email to the support requesting the cancellation of all my licenses.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited May 17

@rogerlucas,

I hope you find a solution that fits your needs, and I'm sorry to hear that it is no longer 1Password.

Licenses don't have any sort of a recurring payment structure with them, so there is nothing to cancel. You can effectively cancel by no longer using the licenses.

Ben

• Opera is working with 1Password again! Thank you!!!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Excellent. Thanks for the update @iMacIIuser. :)

Ben

• Thanks for the update, it's working great again.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad the team was able to get it done. :)

• Thanks guys

• brentybrenty

Team Member

:chuffed: :+1:

• Glad to see you sober, AgileBits.
    Thanks.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

🍺😁👍

2»
This discussion has been closed.