1Password iOS does not completely delete the logins in truth it stays in the trash

Options
kusshut
kusshut
Community Member
edited March 2018 in iOS

Hello 1Password developer,

I dont need edit my 1Password vault on a a Mac or PC. I use iPad Pro 12.9 and iPhone 7 Plus only.

That problem:

**They've been BSing [edited by AgileBits, this is a family-friendly forum] users for years. when you delete logins or notes, they're not in the vault, they're in the trash. but you can only tell that on the mac and pc versions.

That's unacceptable, when I tap delete, it should be deleted and not in the trash.

please answer me. I want you to add the trash for the iOS version.**

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.2.6 (iOS only) Not use a Mac or PC
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@kusshut - Thanks for the question, and apologies for editing your post, but this is a family-friendly forum, so please try to keep the language G-rated. Thanks!

I don't think it's accurate to say we've been deceiving users regarding the Trash on iOS. All versions of 1Password have a Trash which is where items go when you delete them from your vault. On iOS, the Trash simply isn't visible/editable (nor can items in the trash be recovered through the UI). Can I ask what you're worried about or interested in that makes you want to be able to delete something that can't be read, written to or recovered?

I'll spare you the history of how this evolved the way it has on iOS, and simply say that we rarely get requests to change the current situation. So, like other feature requests, we balance it against the other work we have on our plates and the number of users who are affected by the issue/feature request. I'd place this one squarely in the "someday/maybe" category, meaning that it's not something we've decided we'll never do, but it's far enough down the priority list that I would be purely guessing if I tried to give you any sort of idea when you might see such a thing. Thanks for letting us know your wishes, however! :)

ref: OPI-3859

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

see my post again!! a bad scenario. someone steals my 1password vault.

@kusshut: It's a bad scenario that you've made up. But assuming that this still isn't something we have any control over. So long as you use a long, strong, unique Master Password, the only way someone can access your 1Password vault is if you give them your Master Password. Don't do that.

but because the ios version only moves the logins and notes.

What are you talking about?

people who know 1password know how to use it. take the cracked vault and use it on the mac or pc and you will find all logins and notes again. because they are never deleted. this is deception and is not mentioned in 1password ios!

What "cracked vault"? All of this data is encrypted in 1Password, whether or not it's in the vault, in the Trash, or the fully deleted data is on disk because you haven't secure erased the whole thing, and the only way anyone can do anything with it is if you give them your Master Password, or use one that is easily guessable.

if it says ''delete'', must really be deleted.

Much like deleting a file on a computer sends it to the Trash, so too in 1Password. We're not going to make special behaviour just for iOS.

This is a fact.

No, it's your opinion.

the nsa or authorities could take the vault and open it on the desktop e.g Mac or PC version. and then you have to look in the trash and all data is recoverable!

Again, only if you give it to them. I'd encourage you to take the necessary precautions if you're likely to be the target of espionage by nation states. Most 1Password users aren't, however, so we're not going to change reasonable behaviour for everyone else. That would be pretty unreasonable. To be completely clear, in your proposed scenario, 1Password eliminating the trash will still not save you, because the data will still be on the drive. 1Password isn't going to wipe for you. You'll have to do that yourself.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

You just don't understand. Now I know about this problem and it bothers me and won't let go.

@kusshut: That's certainly possible.

the desktop comparison is wrong. because there you can remove the data afterwards and never come back.

Not easily. I've recovered plenty of "deleted" data from mechanical hard drives and SSDs. Can you elaborate?

besides, there are many scenarios where you don't want to see this data because you want to forget it. but now it always reminds me and I'm not ready to buy a pc or mac to solve this problem.

Thanks for clarifying. It wasn't clear from your earlier comments that you're only using iOS. 1Password, however, isn't designed solely for iOS, so we do need to take that into account as well any time we consider changing things.

other password managers don't do that. there's no technical reason not to make it impossible.

No one is arguing that it is impossible. It's simply not a high priority given that 1) it isn't a security issue and 2) almost no one has asked for this feature on mobile devices.

even apple apps, like photos, iOS 11 Files have that.

1Password isn't any of those apps. It's not a file manager or a photo library. And Photos keeps images is "Recently Deleted" anyway. I use this all the time.

here more derails!
    hackers can hack the vault with brute force or a new security hole (when they don't even know).

Sure they can. Using more computing power and energy resources than are available today. And even then it would take a long time, as there are physical limits on semiconductor density and electrical throughput. Or, they're stuck with the methods which are actually be feasible today, and spend years or decades doing so. What you're suggesting is simply infeasible, yet you're presenting it as something which is easily achieved in order to make an argument for a feature that almost no one wants. That's the definition of unreasonable.

or people synchronize it on the pc and don't even know that their old data has been deleted and see it in the trash (1000 logins).

What's the harm here exactly?

There are so many scenarios they can't know and when it happens, you've been a victim for a long time.

This kind of fear mongering doesn't benefit anyone.

and they allow such a bad design and signal it would be deleted. although it is not deleted but only moved.

That's what happens with all data on every computing device you've ever used. "Deleting" silly removes a record in an index. The data is still there. And none of this has anything to do with 1Password.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Someone (else?) on Reddit is complaining about exactly the same thing:

https://reddit.com/r/ios/comments/853aj1/1password_ios_does_not_completely_delete_the/

Why are you focusing on deleted data? I would be more worried about actual up-to-date data if a vault was hacked.

Do you have a 1Password.com account? I believe you can then empty the trash via the website; also on iOS devices.

• Ben
    Options

I don't use the website because if 1password.com (web version) should die (e.g. the company is broke/dead/money gone or from hacker attacked) and I may be in hospital at this time, e.g. due to cancer.

That’s actually not true. Your data is not deleted when your subscription lapses, and even if 1Password.com were to go offline and stay offline indefinitely your data would still be cached on any devices where you’ve logged into your account from the 1Password app.

In any event we appreciate the feedback. We don’t currently have any definite plans to expose the trash on mobile systems, but I agree it would come in handy and would make what is actually happening when you ‘delete’ an item more clear. Maybe that is something we can do down the road, but I can’t make any commitment. Certainly something for us to think about.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.