hacked and then?

Options
glennmaitree
glennmaitree
Community Member

My Mac has been hacked for several hours with stand alone 1Password being open.
I have a licensed account (so not via web) for several Mac's and 1 PC. The vault is in DropBox, which was accessible as well at that time.
What should I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:need support after being hacked

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My Mac has been hacked for several hours with stand alone 1Password being open.

@glennmaitree: Thanks for reaching out! What do you mean by this though?

I have a licensed account (so not via web) for several Mac's and 1 PC. The vault is in DropBox, which was accessible as well at that time. What should I do?

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it's really hard to say without more detail. Generally speaking, if someone else controls your computer, all best are off. But with 1Password there is one really big saving grace for you: 1Password does not decrypt all of your data automatically when you unlock it. So the person accessing your computer would need to either do a full export or literally go into each individual item to see the information there.

To be clear, it sounds like they had to opportunity to do that. Only you could have any idea if they did. In that case, you should assume that they have all of your account credentials. At that point Dropbox and your Master Password are irrelevant, as they would have all of the data already. So you'd need to change your passwords for accounts to keep them out. Start with your email and then probably financial sites — the important stuff first.

The data in Dropbox is not a risk on its own since the Master Password is needed to decrypt it. But if you unlocked 1Password and walked away while someone was accessing your computer, like leaving the house unlocked while you're away on vacation, there's nothing that can prevent someone from accessing everything you've stored there.

• glennmaitree
    glennmaitree
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, I guess you're right.
    Now I have another problem, after changing all my passwords I'd like to share this with my wife's PC, which runs on Windows.
    Does 1Password have a download for Windows stand alone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@glennmaitree - right now, the best bet for Windows standalone would be the just-released 1Password 7 for Windows beta. It's the latest iteration of 1Password on the Windows side of things, and although it's still a beta, it's quite stable.

If you're not into running beta software, unfortunately, 1Password 6 for Windows did not have standalone capability, which would mean that you'd need to go all the way back to 1Password 4 for Windows in order to get a non-beta, standalone, Windows version of 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.