what's the difference between an "account and freestanding?

Options
drreddog
drreddog
Community Member

what's the difference between an "account" and freestanding?
Do I need an account to get the family plan?
I think I may have "Pro" - I can synch between devices and make changes).
To be honest I don't know if I have an account. If I do I do not know my secret key nor any account info, when I look online I'd need one to get the other. I don't know my registered email either.
Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS 10.13.2
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:what's the difference between an "account and freestanding?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @drreddog!

Do I need an account to get the family plan?

Not sure what specifically you mean by "family plan," but the only family-based offering currently is 1Password Families, which is indeed a type of 1password.com account. If you're already or would like to be a 1Password standalone user, then you can still use 1Password in a family setting, but you would need to purchase licenses for each member of the family and then (if you like) set up Dropbox sharing in order to be able to share items between family members.

What's the difference between an "account" and freestanding?

There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at 1Password.com.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

To be honest I don't know if I have an account.

Did you sign up for one at https://start.1password.com/ ? Or did you just purchase or download one of our apps at some point in the past?

Can you tell us what you're trying to accomplish, and we can figure things out and get you where you need to be. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.