How do I merge duplicates?

I have duplicates that have been auto created. How do i easily merge these into single entries?

If more passwords don’t match, ideally most recent would be current and all others are previous passwords.

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11
Sync Type: Member
Referrer: forum-search:Merge duplicates

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @tobsenmilch

Were these duplicates created as a result of migrating from a standalone 1Password vault to 1Password.com membership?

Ben

• No, they were created via the browser extensions and other means...

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

At present there is not a function to merge such entries. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Do you have a project for this? The extension created several duplicates. And prevents the correct and fast filling in mobile devices

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@cachanco: 1Password doesn't create duplicates on its own; it only saves what you tell it to. So if you save a login at a website, and then later save another one there, you'll have two, and so on. The best thing to do is to determine which one you want to keep and delete the others. This isn't something 1Password can decide for you though, as it has no way of knowing your preference.

• I can't say for sure what's happening, but I have a LOT of duplicates that showed up in the last several weeks/months. I know I didn't create all of them, so this feels like buggy behavior on the part of 1Password to me.

What would be lovely:

• a merge duplicates feature (check out Contacts+ for a great implementation example)
    • better logic for finding close matches by domain and not suggesting (or creating) a new entry unless the user explicitly asks for it
  • brentybrenty

Team Member

@chriscalo: If you can tell us the steps to reproduce the "buggy behavior" you're referring to, we can test it and should be able to easily verify. But we've had no other reports of 1Password spontaneously duplicating items. The closest I can think of is pressing ⌘ D in the desktop app when you think another app is focused but 1Password still is; that will create duplicates.

A "contacts" app is not even a remotely relevant comparison, as that data is not encrypted. "Merging" plaintext data is fairly easy, but not really feasible with encrypted data. I don't see what benefit would be had by merging duplicates though. Then instead of two items, you have one with two sets of duplicate details in it.

If you have actual duplicate items, 1Password for Mac Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items can help. "Close matches" are not duplicates though.

• What I'm noticing aren't exact duplicates, but rather multiple entries for the same username and domain, most often with the subdomain differing.

I wonder if this is due to importing from Chrome passwords or iCloud Keychain. (Does 1Password do that?)

No matter the cause, I think the real issue is a lack of merge functionality. Duplicates will happen. Manually merging is so laborious that most people won't bother. 1Password would be better if it included a merge duplicates feature.

I brought up Contacts+ for:
    1. Their UI for listing possible duplicates, allowing the user to browse through to make sure there's nothing unexpected before committing all of the merges
    2. Their logic for deciding when to keep all values across duplicate contacts and when to keep one value.

A merge function in 1Password would need both of these, so it's useful to see how they solved the problem.

(I have no idea about implementation complexities such as encryption. That's for all of you to figure out. I'm just here to describe an unmet need as a user.)

• FWIW, how I would love it to work is to merge entries where the domain matches (but not subdomain or path, for example, accounts.google.com and google.com) and the username matches.

It would be great if it could somehow highlight the differences (for example, "passwords do not match") and allow me to decide what to do.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the forum, @chriscalo! We don't have a "merge" feature other than what you see with the existing Tools > Clean up Duplicate Items tool. The reason for this (historically) is that we've always erred on the side of having 1Password be very conservative with your data. The Duplicates tool doesn't merge/remove unless it's absolutely clear that the items are duplicates. We never want an AI being in a position to make decisions about which slightly-different version of your data is the "correct" one, since we're talking about some of your most valuable data. That means any non-automatic merge/"dupe"-removal is essentially a manual process anyway, and as a result, creating a specific interface for it is something that's just not risen to the top of our to-do list so far. It's something we've kept on the "someday, maybe" list for when we have spare developer cycles, but so far that's not yet happened. Thanks for letting us know you'd like such a feature; I've relayed your wishes to the development team.

• Sounds great, Lars. Thanks for forwarding to the development team 👍

I'll find some way to deal with these duplicates for now.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@chriscalo - sounds good. FWIW, although I agree in general with your statement that "duplicates will happen," I also know from working with 1Password daily that they aren't entirely inevitable. Especially if you have a 1password.com membership, those days should be behind you unless you're doing a lot of migrating/copying/moving of data from other places. That's actually one of the benefits of a 1password.com membership -- a central repository where you don't have to worry about multiple sync keychains, some outdated, some new, in Dropbox or wherever. Point being: once you go through this process a single time, unless something odd happens, you shouldn't have to do it again. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file