Apparently lost my 1Password link to my iMac...

Starflyer
Starflyer
Community Member

I'm using 1Password to my iPad, iPhone (X), MBA, Surface Pro 4 (Win 10) and my iMac. Today I tried to open 1Password on my iMac and after I enter my password, I get a "red" circle on the 1Password icon WITHOUT any other message like did I forget my password. Up until this happened, I haven't had a bit of trouble syncing 1Password data to my devices.

What do you suggest I do to get 1Password working again on my iMac?

Thanks...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Starflyer - If you got the red "nope" animation, that means you entered a different Master Password than what 1Password needed to unlock. There could be a number of reasons for that. Typos, a stuck key on your keyboard, different vault password, all sorts of possibilities. The good news here is that if you're using 1Password on all those different devices, it sounds as if you're either using a 1password.com account or you figured out a standalone sync solution already...which means your data aren't at risk. We just need to figure out what's going on with that one device. Please give these steps a try and see if you can't get in. Let us know how it goes!

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

I'm concerned if I did "these steps a try" above, I might lose all my 1passwords on my iPhone, iPad, MBA and Surface Pro 4. As above, I can't get into my 1Passwords on my iMac. I believe the problem started when I spent Jan and Feb in Scottsdale, leaving my iMac shut off back home. I first noted the problem when I returned in March and booted the iMac back up. When I was in Scottsdale, I thougth I was getting hacked or something like that, so I changed my 1Password which immediately allowed me access to my 1Password account on all the devices I took to Scottsdale. For some reason I thought the new password would sync to my iMac, but I forgot the iMac was NOT powered for the whole 2 months.

Tonight I was able to log on to the iMac via 1password.com and I then did a test changing one of the files which immediately synced to all my devises INCLUDING the iMac. However I still get the red "nope" animation on the iMac. I DO see all my passwords on the iMac when I sign into 1password.com, but when I try to click on the little 1Password logo on the upper right hand corner of my iMac, I get the normal 1Password sign-in request, but it always goes to the dreaded red circle of doom.

I'm wondering if I were to delete 1Password from my iMac and then download a new copy of the program and sign in with my new working password, would my existing passwords sync to my iMac. Whatever I do, I certainly don't want to lose my present 1 passwords on my iPad, iPhone, MBA and Surface Pro 4. I would rather kissoff the iMac than lose everything on my other device.

Do you think this would work for restoring 1Password to my iMac, and keeping all my present data on my other devices that are working normally with 1Password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Starflyer - So, if you've tried the steps I suggested in my previous reply without success, and you're certain that there's no data in 1Password on your iMac that you need (which isn't also already synced elsewhere), then you can simply use these instructions to start over on your iMac.

When you restart 1Password after this process, it will be as if you are a new user -- but you aren't. At the Welcome screen, choose the option to sign into your existing 1password.com account, and you should be good to go!

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

Before I start, I should have added to the description of my problem that on my iMac, it boots to Windows via Bootcamp. There is no data on the iMac that is useful to my other 1Password devices.

I deleted 1Password from my iMac and then reloaded 1Password 6 since the iMac is running Windows 10. Same result. I can log into 1password.com on it and see all my current passwords from my other 4 devices, but I can't run 1Password from the computer. When I try to sign in with my current master password, I get the red circle of death.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

Is there some hidden 1Password file on my iMac that I can delete before trying a new installation of 1Password 6. When I deleted the original 1Password 6 from the iMac (running Windows 10), it said it would delete all files associated with 1Password. But when I restalled 1PW 6 with a fresh copy, it still won't let me sign in with a new password.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member

I may be on the cusp of getting 1password to work on my iMac. When I now load 1PW, I get the whole smear,

sign-address, email address, secret key and master password. I have to manually fill in the first 3 requests. I've checked them several times for accuracy and they all appear to be correct, but I keep getting an "email address" error, the easiest to fill out. I've signed into 1PW on another computer to check my listed email address and I'm entering that one correctly.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Starflyer - sorry for taking so long to get back to you here. As you may have noticed, we released 1Password 7 for Mac beta a couple of days ago, and it's been NUTS since then. You seemed to be getting closer to a solution on your own, so I thought you might be able to figure it out yourself. What's the current status of things?

This discussion has been closed.