Difference between Control+\ and Control+alt+\ ?

Options
reck
reck
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When i'm in Firefox and press either key combination they both appear to do the same thing.

I see in the right-click menu that control+alt+\ has been assigned to open 1Password mini which it does, but so does just pressing control+\ so why would I use the alt variation?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! In many cases you won't see a difference, but there's a pretty big one:

1. Ctrl \ fills the login on the current page.
    2. Ctrl Alt \ opens 1Password mini.

Now, if you're on a webpage that you have no logins saved for, or more than one, Ctrl \ will still open 1Password mini because you will have either zero matching logins, or you will have more than one to choose from, and in either case 1Password cannot take an action. Ctrl Alt \ is most handy when you want to bring up 1Password mini to find something — either in or out of the browser — for reference, but don't want 1Password to try to fill anything.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

That does answer the question. Thanks very much.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck - on behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome! Glad he was able to answer your question. :)

This discussion has been closed.