Will vaults on Dropbox continue to sync with dropbox on 1password.com

Jenniferlo
Jenniferlo
Community Member

Hello, I'm trying a trial run on 1password.com and have just imported my 2 vaults from Dropbox (I was previously on a standalone license and syncing to 2 vaults on Dropbox, one of the vaults being shared out to me). My question is, will my vaults continue to sync with Dropbox or are they now syncing elsewhere? Since one of the vaults is shared with me, it is important that it continues to be synced with Dropbox as changes are made and accessed not only by me. Thanks

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jenniferlo: With 1Password.com memberships, all of the encrypted data is stored in vaults in your account. Local vaults — like any you sync with Dropbox — are not at all connected to 1Password.com, so they will not sync with that. You can, however, continue using that local vault and syncing it with Dropbox in addition to any 1Password.com accounts you setup in the app. Just keep in mind that changes you make in the Dropbox vault and 1Password.com vaults are completely separate and will not sync with each other. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

From within 1password.com, how can I identify where a particular vault is syncing to?

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

Also, after importing the local vaults (from Dropbox), the number of items differs on 1password.com to what is on my mobile devices. I have synced again many times more and the number of items still differ alot. Can you help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

From within 1password.com, how can I identify where a particular vault is syncing to?

@Jenniferlo: Within 1Password.com, all vaults are syncing with 1Password.com, as they're part of your account. If you mean who has access to them, you can select the vault you want in your account:

https://start.1password.com/vaults

And it will show under "People" who it's shared with. You can also Manage permissions for the vault there. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also, after importing the local vaults (from Dropbox), the number of items differs on 1password.com to what is on my mobile devices. I have synced again many times more and the number of items still differ alot. Can you help?

@Jenniferlo: Are you actually missing items? Do you have the exact same setup on all of your devices? If you sign into your account on 1Password.com in your web browser, do you see all of your data there?

https://start.1password.com/vaults/all

It may be that you still have some on a different device that you haven't migrated to your account. Let me know.

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

Actually I know what happened. Pdfs that I had previously attached under certain areas and in 1password4, has now become independent document items which is why suddenly the number of items have increased if I look in 1password.com.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jenniferlo: Aha. Yep, that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password.com uses Documents instead, since they're more flexible. You can upload files to store securely in your account without having to attach them to other items. Again, I apologize that threw you off. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you have any other questions. :)

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

Back to the other point about syncing with Dropbox. There is this vault (let's call is 'shared' for easy reference) that is created by someone else 'A' (on a standalone license) and shared with me via Dropbox. Now I have imported this vault into 1password.com, but what I need to ensure is that I can continue to sync 'shared'vault with dropbox because A will continue to add to 'shared' vault. If I am only syncing with 1password.com, then it is no use as any updates I create will not sync to Dropbox which means A won't see it and vice versa.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Back to the other point about syncing with Dropbox. There is this vault (let's call is 'shared' for easy reference) that is created by someone else 'A' (on a standalone license) and shared with me via Dropbox. Now I have imported this vault into 1password.com, but what I need to ensure is that I can continue to sync 'shared'vault with dropbox because A will continue to add to 'shared' vault. If I am only syncing with 1password.com, then it is no use as any updates I create will not sync to Dropbox which means A won't see it and vice versa.

@Jenniferlo: Nooo that won't work. They're two separate vaults: what's in your 1Password.com account and what's in Dropbox. They will not sync with each other. So you may want to consider different options:

• (Best) Using a 1Password Teams plan and inviting that person as a guest to share only that vault with them.
    • Keeping the Dropbox vault just for that person.
    • (Really, trust me, you don't want to do this) Keeping both the Dropbox vault and it's copy in 1Password.com. This is bad though because any time you made a change in one, you would need to delete the copy of that item in the other and then copy the new version over there again. Seriously, don't do this.

Finally, keeping Dropbox involved poses a few problems: depending on the platform, it may not work or could be problematic having to use that vault's password to unlock the app (and of course having to share that password with someone else). Just a few thoughts. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

Sorry, I think I am still confused by your options. I cannot use any options that requires A to move from his current setup (Standalone and sync with Dropbox) So what I need to know is how can I continue to share his vault with my new setup on 1password.com. You mention Keeping the Dropbox Vault with that person, but how exactly do I do that since you already said that accounts on only syncs with 1password.com. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jenniferlo: You can't share the same vault through both Dropbox and 1Password.com. These are completely separate services. You can, however, keep that vault only in Dropbox, and continue to access it that way yourself along with your separate 1Password.com account vaults, or maintain the same data manually in two different vaults — one in Dropbox and one in 1Password.com — as I mentioned above. In that case you're essentially trading the marginal convenience of them not using an account and keeping their current setup for your own inconvenience of having to work with both. I don't quite understand why it would matter to them if the vault they are sharing with you is in Dropbox or 1Password.com, but that's none of my business. Still curious though, if you can share that. :)

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

Maybe I have misunderstood how 1password works. Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought that when someone shares a vault with me, in this case via Dropbox, this means that any time I create or update, then these changes are synced to Dropbox (the one that is shared between us) therefore when his 1password syncs with Dropbox, then it would pull down the changes so that he would be able to view the additions/changes on his 1password. If my copy of the 'shared' vault is now syncing only with 1password.com only, then would A see any changes that I make? I guess not right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Maybe I have misunderstood how 1password works. Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought that when someone shares a vault with me, in this case via Dropbox, this means that any time I create or update, then these changes are synced to Dropbox (the one that is shared between us) therefore when his 1password syncs with Dropbox, then it would pull down the changes so that he would be able to view the additions/changes on his 1password. If my copy of the 'shared' vault is now syncing only with 1password.com only, then would A see any changes that I make? I guess not right?

@Jenniferlo: If you have copied data from the Dropbox vault into your 1Password.com account, that copy is stored there. It's not the same vault; it's completely separate. Just like if you copy any file from Dropbox to somewhere else, the resulting copy will no longer be sync'd using Dropbox; only the original, which remains in Dropbox, will be. I think that thinking of it as "syncing with 1Password.com" is the source of confusion. This is not the case. Any data you put in your 1Password.com account is stored in 1Password.com, so that signing into your account on other devices enables you to access it there as well. Does that help?

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

The only reason why I changed to 1password.com was because I changed to Android phone and it didn't allowed multiple local vaults (on Dropbox). I had hoped that by going changing to 1password.com, I would be able to access these local vaults. However, from our conversation, I think you have confirmed that you can only access multiple vaults that have been migrated to 1password.com. This obviously means that I can no longer share vaults with users that continue to use local vaults on Dropbox. To be honest, i wasn't very happy about having to change to 1password.com myself but it seems that if I change, it also forces other users sharing vaults with me (on Dropbox) to change as well which I really don't like. If my understanding above is correct, then I think I will just revert back to using 1password 4 and just accessing the shared vault from there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The only reason why I changed to 1password.com was because I changed to Android phone and it didn't allowed multiple local vaults (on Dropbox). I had hoped that by going changing to 1password.com, I would be able to access these local vaults.

@Jenniferlo: Ohhh. :dizzy:

However, from our conversation, I think you have confirmed that you can only access multiple vaults that have been migrated to 1password.com.

Hmm. First of all, I apologize if something I said confused you or gave you the wrong impression. Just to clarify, 1Password for Android can only use a single local vault — Dropbox or otherwise. Using a 1Password.com account allows you to have multiple vaults in that account which can be accessed in the Android app. But a 1Password.com account has no bearing on local vaults. The Android app can still only use one.

This obviously means that I can no longer share vaults with users that continue to use local vaults on Dropbox.

That's not quite true. You can use a local vault sync'd with Dropbox in addition to a 1Password.com account. But you're correct if you mean that you cannot use more than one local vault sync'd with Dropbox in 1Password for Android. But keep in mind that is a limitation of the app, and remains the same even if you don't use a 1Password.com account at all.

To be honest, i wasn't very happy about having to change to 1password.com myself but it seems that if I change, it also forces other users sharing vaults with me (on Dropbox) to change as well which I really don't like.

That's not the case. See my earlier comments about this above. I use a local vault in Dropbox myself for the same purpose, right alongside my 1Password.com accounts. Using those hasn't forced moving away from Dropbox entirely (thought sometimes I wish that were the case!)

If my understanding above is correct, then I think I will just revert back to using 1password 4 and just accessing the shared vault from there.

That's fine. Just keep in mind that won't change the fact that 1Password for Android still works with only a single local vault, Dropbox or otherwise.

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

OK, i think i finally understand what you mean. :) So from within the 1password for android app, i can access both 1 local vault syncing (with Dropbox or other) and also vaults that are on 1password.com. Can you advise how I can change the local vault setting as I need it to point to the shared local vault rather than my personal local vault. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

OK, i think i finally understand what you mean. :)

@Jenniferlo: Hey, I'm sorry it's taken me this long to make sense, but better late than never, right? :blush:

OK, i think i finally understand what you mean. :) So from within the 1password for android app, i can access both 1 local vault syncing (with Dropbox or other) and also vaults that are on 1password.com.

Yes! Exactly. :)

Can you advise how I can change the local vault setting as I need it to point to the shared local vault rather than my personal local vault. Thanks.

Ah, gotcha. If you've already got 1Password for Android setup with your personal (not the shared) local vault, you'll need to 1) make sure you've got all of your data in 1Password.com, 2) make sure you have the shared vault in your Dropbox account (probably a given, but better safe than sorry), 3) start over in the Android app, and 4) setup the Android app anew with a. the shared vault in Dropbox and then b. your 1Password.com account. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Jenniferlo
    Jenniferlo
    Community Member

OK, done. I noticed that in vaults, it defines Vault for saving as Primary (which is the now pointing to the shared vault on Dropbox). Does this mean that any new item I add will save into my primary only (or another vault defined in here. Just seems abit troublesome to have to either remember which vault it was saving to or go into here to change the settings to the vault I wish the new item to be in). Previously on 1password on iphone, i was able to add new items in the vault that I was in. Is this not possible now? Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

OK, done. I noticed that in vaults, it defines Vault for saving as Primary (which is the now pointing to the shared vault on Dropbox). Does this mean that any new item I add will save into my primary only (or another vault defined in here.

@Jenniferlo: If you keep that setting then yes, new items will be saved there. If that's not the behaviour you want, I suggest changing it. better safe than sorry.

Just seems abit troublesome to have to either remember which vault it was saving to or go into here to change the settings to the vault I wish the new item to be in).

I hear you, but most people use either the standalone 1Password app only with a local vault, or with a 1Password.com account. In either case, they won't be in a situation where they're using a shared vault as their main one in the app (which also means using that Master Password to unlock the app), so this isn't an issue. We do need to design 1Password for how most people will use it, but I'm glad it can accommodate your different use case here, even if it is a bit confusing at first.

Previously on 1password on iphone, i was able to add new items in the vault that I was in. Is this not possible now? Thanks

That's how it works, but if you're viewing All Vaults 1Password needs to know where it should be saving items by default, when you aren't viewing a specific vault. I recommend changing the default to a vault which will be okay for you if you create a new item without thinking first about which vault you should be in.

It sounds like you're all set on Android then, but let me know if you need help setting up any other devices. I do something a bit similar myself, so I'm happy to walk you through it. :)

This discussion has been closed.