To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Moving to Window 10 - don't have secret key, but can't log in without it

drew_lawrence
drew_lawrence
Community Member

Hello,
I am a current 1Password user on my iPhone and iPad. I had it on my MBP, but I had to turn that machine in when I left my previous employer. I now have a Window 10 CPU and can't log in. I don't have a secret key, as I was a 1Password 5 users and have a license for 6, but can't find the secret key anywhere. I am not on monthly/subscription billing, but have a 1Passwod 6 license in my current vault on iOS. The vault is syncing to DropBox, but I can't seem to do anything w/ that file in the Windows 10 app.

How do I go about getting my Secret Key so that I can log into the website? When I try to create a new account it says I can't due to an account w/ that email already existing.

Please help! I know it's a 1st world problem, but when I have to type all of my awesomely strong passwords it gets to be pretty time consuming when you have to set up a new machine and log into everything.

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drew_lawrence: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. And, to be clear, if you purchase a license for another platform, that will not work on Windows; they're each a separate purchase.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• drew_lawrence
    drew_lawrence
    Community Member

@brenty thank you! The issue is that I can’t log into my account bc I don’t have a secret key. How do I get my vault loaded from where it syncs on Dropbox for my phone and iPad when I can’t get past the login screen on Windows 10 when I launch 1 Password?

I’m down to try the memebership, but I can’t even start a free trial bc it says the email address already exists.

How do I get past that blocker and get all my data from DropBox into the memebership account that I can’t sign into?

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drew_lawrence: You would have to have an account to be able to use 1Password for Windows version 6. Did you purchase an earlier version of 1Password for Windows? If so, you can use that without an account. Otherwise you'll either need to sign up for a 1Password.com membership, or wait until 1Password 7 is finished and purchase a license for that. Did you sign up for an account before and want to delete it? You can always delete it from your account's profile page, or contact us at support@1password.com if you need help with that. Just post the Support ID you receive here so we can take a look.

• drew_lawrence
    drew_lawrence
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for the quick response! I purchased 1Password 5 for my Mac. When it went to 6 I got it for my iPad, iPhone, & Mac. I know I can’t use 6 on Windows without a subscription but I can’t get a subscription because it says the email is in use and I don’t have a secret key. So how do I fix that so that I can sync to my memebership from my iPhone then pull it down on Windows?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drew_lawrence: As I mentioned above, if you need help deleting your existing account to start over, email us at support@1password.com from the address you used, and post the Support ID here so we can connect the dots. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.