Crash when checking Software Updates [All known issues resolved as of beta 8]

Options
telephoneman
telephoneman
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

AgileBits Update 2018-04-16

We haven't heard any further reports of issues after the recent changes we've made. As such we're going to close this thread and any issues with the updater discovered from here on out deserve their own thread. Thank you for taking the time to report such issues. - Ben

Older Updates

Update 2018-04-11

All updater crashes should now be resolved and updates from beta 6 to beta 7 and beyond should work properly. Thank you for your patience! - MrRooni

Update 2018-04-10

We’re aware the updater in beta 6 crashes under all circumstances. We hope to have this fixed soon. We do not currently need additional crash logs or reports. We will update this thread when further information is available. - Ben

Beta 7 should resolve this issue. Please manually install beta 7 from this page: 1Password for Mac Release Notes

You may need to completely quit 1Password 7 using ⌃⌥⌘Q before running the installer.

Thanks - Ben, April 10

Original Issue

On 1Password 7 beta on Mac OS 10.13.4 beta is a crash when checking 1Password software updates

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @telephoneman,

I'm not able to reproduce that issue here, though I'm on macOS 10.13.3 stable. I tried both from 1Password > Check for Updates and also from 1Password > Preferences > Updates > Check Now. I'll see if someone from the team has the 10.13.4 beta running and if they can test there. Thanks for the report.

Ben

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    Options

Shall I find the MacOS chrash report for you?

• Ben
    Options

Sure if you have it handy we'll take it. support+forum@agilebits.com Please post the support ID that you receive back from BitBot here when you email in.

Thanks.

Ben

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    Options

XRI-44449-134

• mikeormerod
    mikeormerod
    Community Member
    Options

Works fine for me on 10.13.4 B7.

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I found another behavior - then I click check updates it searches for updates, but doesn't say "no update" just the updates disappears ...

Update: the crash screen is also there, was hidden window

• mwdiers
    mwdiers
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

The crashing was happening because the initial link on the Beta announcement post on the Blog was to a .ZIP file containing only the 1Password 7 app, rather than the .pkg installer.

They have updated the link now, and after running the .pkg installer, updates, as well as browser extensions, started working.

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    Options

Nope: installed again with installer pkg - same issue

• synapse7
    synapse7
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I'm having this same issue. I downloaded the .pkg installer first but am still seeing the issue after reinstalling.

1Password 7
    Version 7.0.BETA-3 (70000003)
    AgileBits Beta

macOS 10.13.3

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same thing from MacOS 10.13.3. Sent a report UHU-65192-437.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Can you please confirm that 1Password 7 successfully installed into the /Applications folder, and that is where you’re running it from?

Ben

• synapse7
    synapse7
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that’s where it is installed for me and where I’m running it from. Thanks for looking into this.

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Checking for updates either via 1Password > Check for Updates or 1Password > Preferences > Updates > Check Now opens the 1Password Updater application, which immediately crashes. 1Password 7 is installed and running from /Applications.

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, problem solved! The "Include beta builds" checkbox was unchecked in 1Password > Preferences. Checking that box and hitting Check Now ran the updater as expected (and downloaded Beta 3).

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    Options

@skylarp so the issue is caused by checking the "standard" release? And switch to beta works?
    but Anyway: Thats a defect :)

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

@telephoneman Yes, exactly. And it certainly is a defect!

• Ben
    Options

I suspect that may be because there have been no stable releases of 1Password 7. Thanks, I’ll let the team know.

Ben

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben But in this case this is not in line with the way how the 7 Windows release works. Here we get the betas even on the standard channel.

• Ben
    Options

Hmm. That doesn’t seem quite right. In any event, it certainly shouldn’t crash. ;) I’ve filed a bug with the team.

Ben

ref: apple-179

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I mean when there is no crash. In this conversation @MikeT told me how the beta updates works in Windows https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/418137#Comment_418137

Its not important but it would make sense to keep that behaviour similar

• Ben
    Options

I agree the two platforms should be on the same page.

Ben

• ck2875
    ck2875
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Updater crashes for me whenever the App (Beta 3) checks for updates. Happens every time.

• Jacob
    Options

@ck2875 Is 1Password installed in your /Applications folder? It needs to be for the updater to work properly, as Ben mentioned above.

• ck2875
    ck2875
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

@Jacob Yes. It's correctly installed in the Applications folder.

Here's the crash log...

Process: 1Password Updater [2017]
    Path: /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Helpers/1Password Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password Updater
    Identifier: com.agilebits.onepassword7-updater
    Version: 7.0.BETA-3 (70000003)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: 1Password Updater [2017]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-03-29 13:04:19.221 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.3 (17D102)
    Report Version: 12
    Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y661)
    Anonymous UUID: EF5B585E-4C23-A828-604B-0D07A35F9819

Sleep/Wake UUID: A0E3B167-C979-4DC9-87F7-AFE87CD626FA

Time Awake Since Boot: 22000 seconds
    Time Since Wake: 14000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
    *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'NSConcreteAttributedString initWithString:: nil value'
    abort() called
    terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

[...]

Model: MacBookPro13,2, BootROM MBP132.0238.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core i5, 2.9 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 2.37f20
    Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 550, Intel Iris Graphics 550, Built-In
    Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4B3445364533303445422D45474347202020
    Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4B3445364533303445422D45474347202020
    AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x157), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37.5.1a3)
    Bluetooth: Version 6.0.2f2, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
    Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
    USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus
    USB Device: iBridge
    Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 23.1
    Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 23.1

• Ben
    Options

@ck2875

Please check 1Password > Preferences > Updates and make sure the option to install beta builds is checked. We’re investigating a bug where not having betas enabled causes a crash in 1Password 7 for Mac.

Ben

• invalidptr
    invalidptr
    Community Member
    Options

70000001 was crashing out for me as well until I enabled 1Password > Preferences > Updates > Beta Builds.

• Jacob
    Options

Good to know! Glad that fixed it. 👏

• ck2875
    ck2875
    Community Member
    Options

Enabling beta builds fixed the crash for me as well. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ck2875 - thanks for confirming; glad this is solved for folks. Onward and upward! :-)

• twynne
    twynne
    Community Member
    Options

As above, unable to check for updates because of this (but assuming there are none at this moment). Reopening the updater makes no difference, just crashes again.

1Password Version: 7 beta 4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.13.4
    Sync Type: Not Provided

This discussion has been closed.