Intel SGX stopped working [It's working but the option is not in yet]

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Dear agilebits team,

I am a bit baffled about my problem. Recently (I think when the first 1Password 7 Beta was released), the SGX feature stopped working on all my machines - the option is simply. I can verify that the device and driver for SGX are still installed, and although there has been a Windows update for the driver recently, the feature stopped working before that.

Is the feature actually still included, or is there really a problem on my machines?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2018

Hi @cjbqkrxybfjcyhmxg,

Thanks for reporting it.

Are you able to unlock 1Password on your computers? When you said it stops working, what do you mean exactly?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Yes, 1Password still works fine - there's no general problem.

The only thing is that the SGX option under "Advanced" in the settings is gone. That's what I meant by "SGX stopped working".

Thank you for your help!

• Ah thanks, we may be moving it around. I'll file a bug report and we'll look into it but it shouldn't touch any existing vaults protected by it.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Ah, thank you for the feedback.

I just assumed it stopped working, as the rule of thumb was "if the option isn't showing, SGX isn't detected".

• Yep, that's the general rule. It's just missing completely at the moment as we were moving stuff around in the Settings.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

A bit late, but thank you for your response!

Are you sure, though, that Intel SGX is still used in the 'stable' release of 1Password 7 for Windows? It is stated here that this feature was silently dropped before release.

• @cjbqkrxybfjcyhmxg: Mike's enjoying a well-earned break right now, but I can confirm that SGX was not included with 1Password 7 for Windows. The option to enable it was removed a bit earlier than it was actually removed, if memory serves. It may come back in a future update, but we're taking some time to evaluate it at present. SGX requires an Intel CryptoProvider be included in 1Password, but that provider does not update itself and could lead to an outdated version being used. Given the myriad protections already in place for your data, we felt comfortable taking some time to reflect and refine implementation if we do decide to reintroduce it.

This discussion has been closed.