1Password Beta 7 for Mac: Spotlight cannot open "1Password Item Metadata" files

Options
atom54
atom54
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

See attached pics (sorry, French version :chuffed: ): 1Password items are successfully found by Spotlight, but once I click on them or hit Enter, I get a pop-up window saying that 1Password Extension Helper cannot open files with "1Password Item Metadata" format.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-3
Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-3
OS Version: macOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1password.com family account

Comments

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am also having trouble making spotlight work for 1Password entries. When I select option command spacebar and type in ebay, after scrolling down to 'other' I see the ebay 1password icon and when I click it a window pops open but doesn't launch the login. This may be how it is intended to work but I was just hoping for clarification. Does this feature now usurp the need for Alfred or LaunchBar to quickly find entries? Thanks.

• Jacob
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hey @atom54 and @iamecho! Spotlight integration is indeed broken right now. I'll let the team know about this so we can take a closer look. :) Thanks for reporting it!

Alfred isn't working in the latest beta for a different reason, and they've released a pre-release version to fix it. You're welcome to update to that, or wait for the final update.

ref: apple-188

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

I assume that "Spotlight integration" means that 1Password login items should appear in Spotlight searches, but that's not happening for me. Let me know if I have the wrong idea.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.13.3
    Sync Type: 1Password.com

• Ben
    Options

That’s exactly the idea, @nils_enevoldsen. But it’s currently not working for anyone, not just you.

Ben

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

And in the time I created that new discussion, Jacob replies here and answers my question. Thanks, Jacob!

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben It looks like @atom54 has "1Password items are successfully found by Spotlight", which is one step beyond what I have, but no worries if they have the same root cause.

• atom54
    atom54
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben thanks for the quick reply :)

@Nils Did you enable third-party integration in Preferences - Advanced?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

@atom54 I did, but didn't help. The AgileBits team will undoubtedly have this fixed before too long .. I'm happy to wait after the beautiful upgrade they just gave us!

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

@atom54 Oh! I don't know. I see this:

To be honest, I don't understand what that means. A dash in a checkbox usually means "partially enabled", right?

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

Nevermind, that was because 1Password was locked. I still don't understand what the dash indicates, but 3rd party app integration was disabled. I'm sure that's my problem.

• Jacob
    Options

We did a bit more digging here, and it looks like the issue is caused by there being multiple copies of 1Password installed. I removed my extra copy (I need all extra copies working here :lol: ) and things work now. Could you guys try that please? Let me know if it helps!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob Just running 1P7. I double checked my applications folder and 1P6 is one. I did have them both open yesteday so could there be residual files still on my mac? Please let me know if there's a way to check that.

• Jacob
    Options

@iamecho Okay, just to clarify, is 1Password 6 still installed? If so, right-click it and choose Compress 1Password 6. Then move the app itself to the Trash. Now try using Spotlight.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

No, 1Password 6 is not in my applications folder.

• Jacob
    Options

@iamecho Is it installed anywhere on your computer? It doesn't have to be in your Applications folder for things to get mixed up.

• atom54
    atom54
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob Thanks a lot, it worked! You people are amazing :)

• Jacob
    Options

Woot woot! :blush:

This discussion has been closed.