Questions regarding purchasing and licensing in the 7.0 beta on macOS

Options
n04hm
n04hm
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Mac

Hi!

Saw the 1Password 7.0 beta was released and announced over the past day. I downloaded the beta and was prompt to either purchase a license, or to purchase a subscription. I just have a few questions…

1. What is "multi-factor security” and "data loss protection”?

It would be good to be told about this on the latest blog post, or even warn users that they will miss out on features with a license only

2. Does purchasing a license mean I will be missing out on features on other devices too, such as iOS?

3. How long will a license last?

Until 8.0? A year?

4. Will sync continue to work – specifically via iCloud – with only a license?

5. Is there a roadmap of plans/features, or should I just be expecting bug fixes for 7.0?
  6. Will there be any more updates for 1Password 6.0?
  7. Are there any plans on when 1Password 8.0 will be released?
  8. Are there any plans on dropping licence-support, and going subscription-only in 1Password 8.0?

Asking this because, lets say I purchase outside of beta: the price would be $64. Subscribing for 12 months at $2.99/month would equal $35.88/year.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-3 (70000003)
OS Version: macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3 (17D102)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• n04hm
    n04hm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

Saw the 1Password 7.0 beta was released and announced over the past day. I downloaded the beta and was prompt to either purchase a license, or to purchase a subscription. I just have a few questions…

1. What is "multi-factor security” and "data loss protection”?
      It would be good to be told about this on the latest blog post, or even warn users that they will miss out on features with a license only
    2. Does purchasing a license mean I will be missing out on features on other devices too, such as iOS?
    3. How long will a license last?
      Until 8.0? A year?)
    4. Will sync continue to work – specifically via iCloud – with only a license?
    5. Is there a roadmap of plans/features, or should I just be expecting bug fixes for 7.0?
    6. Will there be any more updates for 1Password 6.0?
    7. Are there any plans on when 1Password 8.0 will be released?
    8. Are there any plans on dropping licence-support, and going subscription-only in 1Password 8.0?
      Asking this because, lets say I purchase outside of beta: the price would be $64.99. Subscribing for 12 months at $2.99/month would equal $35.88/year.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-3 (70000003) AgileBit
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3 (17D102)
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @n04hm!

What is "multi-factor security” and "data loss protection”? It would be good to be told about this on the latest blog post, or even warn users that they will miss out on features with a license only…

Multi-factor security refers to the 1password.com accounts' use of Two-Secret Key Derivation (2SKD) with the Secret Key. Data loss protection means your data are redundantly backed up on 1password.com servers, so even if you have a hard drive failure or something truly awful like your house with all your devices burns down, your data remain safe. We've been documenting the features that can only be achieved via 1password.com for a couple of years now on our blog, as we roll them out. There are many things that are features of the apps themselves, which are available to all users, but some things are either simply not possible in a standalone setup or would be prohibitively difficult to design due to the variables involved when using advanced, 3rd party sync APIs or roll-your-own WLAN sync.

Does purchasing a license mean I will be missing out on features on other devices too, such as iOS?

1Password for iOS is a separate app from 1Password for Mac -- there will be differences between the two just as there are differences in the two OSes. macOS is a fuller-featured, "desktop" OS, while iOS is designed with a mobile user in mind.

How long will a license last? Until 8.0? A year?

1Password licenses do not expire. They can be used to install, license and use the version for which they were purchased for as long as you still have both hardware and an appropriate OS on which you'd like to run them. A license for 1Password 3 for Mac, for example, will still work if you have a 2011-era Mac running, say, OS X 10.7 ("Lion"). But that 1Password 3 for Mac license does not work for version 5 or version 7. This reply from our founder, Dave Teare, to a comment on the blog post announcing the 1Password 7 for Mac beta release, gives a bit more of our thinking.

Will sync continue to work – specifically via iCloud – with only a license?

Yes.

Is there a roadmap of plans/features, or should I just be expecting bug fixes for 7.0?

A roadmap? No. We don't pre-announce features until they're released. But you're welcome to read the history of release notes for 1Password for Mac, if you want a sense of the pace of development of previous versions (including the current one) -- look in the "New" and "Improvements" section for each incremental update.

Will there be any more updates for 1Password 6.0?

Don't worry that 1Password 6 for Mac will be abandoned without security fixes (as needed). In terms of actual development, however? It's hard to say. In the software industry, once a new full version has been released, development focus typically centers there, since it's the current version and works with the most-recent OS and related software advances.

Are there any plans on when 1Password 8.0 will be released?

Since we've not even released 1Password 7 for Mac yet, no. 😊

Are there any plans on dropping licence-support, and going subscription-only in 1Password 8.0?

Again, no plans of any kind for version 8 at this point.

Asking this because, lets say I purchase outside of beta: the price would be $64.99. Subscribing for 12 months at $2.99/month would equal $35.88/year.

Yup. It doesn't take a math whiz to notice that it's substantially less expensive to subscribe to a 1password.com membership than it does to maintain potentially multiple standalone licenses (if you use multiple platforms). There are also (as you alluded to and I confirmed) numerous other advantages to a membership. However, we continue to develop 1Password with support for licenses because we know some users need or prefer them for various reasons. In order to continue doing so we need to price them according to the effort they require. Both customer support and development costs are significantly higher with standalone licenses and therefore they need to be priced as such. The choice, however, remains yours. Thanks for the opportunity to explain! 😊

• n04hm
    n04hm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your time @Lars! Just want to further clarify some answers…

Does purchasing a license mean I will be missing out on features on other devices too, such as iOS?

1Password for iOS is a separate app from 1Password for Mac -- there will be differences between the two just as there are differences in the two OSes. macOS is a fuller-featured, "desktop" OS, while iOS is designed with a mobile user in mind.

Understood. However, if I use a macOS license, will I have any restricted features in the iOS version? I know a few major versions ago, a license/subscription was needed in order to sync. Syncing will work fine on iOS if I have a macOS license (not subscription), correct?

Thanks! 😊

• rudy
    Options

@n04hm,

Understood. However, if I use a macOS license, will I have any restricted features in the iOS version? I know a few major versions ago, a license/subscription was needed in order to sync. Syncing will work fine on iOS if I have a macOS license (not subscription), correct?

Nope, there isn't any impact to the iOS version by having a license on the macOS version. The only impact of not going the subscription route is that you potentially end up buying 1Password on each platform you use it on. In the iOS case, if you were syncing multiple vaults you'd need Pro features on the iOS version.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.