Licence for 1Password 7

I'm both a user of 1Password 4 for Windows, 1 Password 7 for Mac (purchased yesterday!), and 1Password 6 for Mac.

I just downloaded 1Password 7 beta for Windows and it has been able to read/sync with my opvault on Dropbox. I'm surprised though that I didn't see any query asking me if I'd like to purchase a licence.

From reading this board, I'm told that we'll need a licence to run the standalone version of 1Password 7 (if not using 1Password.com, which I'm not using).

However, from what I recall from eons ago, users who purchased 1Password 4 for Windows will be given free upgrades to 1Password 7. Is this why I'm able to use 1Password 7 beta Windows without having to purchase a licence again?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• OK, digging deeper into the blog revealed this which explains why I'm not seeing an upgrade cost (YET!):

If you join the beta you will get access to a special discount to show our thanks for helping us get the beta polished. The code hasn’t been written yet, but in the next few months an upgrade window will appear, giving you the opportunity to purchase your license for just $39.99.

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member
    edited March 2018

Hi @tiantai,

Thanks for writing in and for your purchase of 1Password 7 for macOS!

However, from what I recall from eons ago, users who purchased 1Password 4 for Windows will be given free upgrades to 1Password

We have never promised or said anything about 1Password 4 users being given a free upgrade to 1Password 7, especially eons ago since we wouldn't know about 1Password 6/7 until two years ago.

What could've been said is:

1. 1Password 4 was a free upgrade to 1Password 1 users; like all purchases made before 2013 are given free upgrade to 1Password 4. There will not be free upgrades for 1Password 7 for Windows for current standalone license holders.
    2. Everyone with 1Password membership gets 1Password 7 included at no extra cost but that's due to the membership itself, there is no licensing involved, it includes access to all 1Password apps and its future upgrades. So if 1Password 8 or 9 or 10 comes out in the future, it's free for all 1Password members as long as their membership is valid. Even if their membership has gone frozen, they can still use any latest release to look at their data but cannot use them to edit until they renew it.

I'm surprised though that I didn't see any query asking me if I'd like to purchase a licence.

The licensing hasn't been implemented yet in the Windows version of 1Password 7, it is coming sometime within the next few months. This is mentioned in the blog post about 1Password 7 for Windows here:

The code hasn’t been written yet, but in the next few months an upgrade window will appear, giving you the opportunity to purchase your license for just $39.99.

• Thanks for the update. Hopefully users of 1Password 7 beta Windows will be reminded or asked to purchase a license during the beta period (i.e., without the user prompting). I would like to get the highest discount possible :)

Team Member
    edited March 2018

There's going to be fireworks and stuff, well, maybe. It will be a very visible prompt that everyone with a standalone vault will see.

Note that 1Password.com members won't see it since 1Password 7 is included for free.

• Thanks!

Team Member

You're welcome!

• A free upgrade from 1Password 4 into 1Password 7 for Windows would be nice! (Easter present)

Team Member

Anything free would be nice but our families do have to be fed. Free upgrades are not going to be available for either Windows or macOS versions of 1Password 7.

• Mike, if I buy license for 1Pass 7 for Windows I recieve only 1Pass 7 without access to Android apps and 1Pass X?

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @Denys Davydov,

1Password X requires 1Password membership, so you won't be able to use it with a standalone license and a local vault. 1Password X relies on your data being online and several other features of our hosted service in order to work properly. Moreover, a license for 1Password 7 for Windows does not include Pro-features in 1Password for Android, you will need to purchase them separately. That is why I would recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password membership account, which includes everything. :)

Let me know if it helps. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• helmschelmsc Junior Member
    edited May 2018

I JUST got the option to buy a version 7 license (first time seeing it) but for the $64.99. What's up with that, I've been on beta for some time?

edit never mind, I see the discount when I go to purchase,

Team Member
    edited May 2018

Hi @helmsc,

Yep, the app will show the normal price but if you click through and go to the store, it’ll have the beta discount applied.

• Hello,

I received the alert about the 1Password 7 license (for Windows) and already bought it, however the 1Password 7 for Windows is still in beta? I'm asking this because he's not asking me about the license yet and on the website (https://1password.com/downloads/) the only versions availble to download is 6.8 and 4.

Regards,
    Felipe

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@felipecalliari: 1Password for Windows version 7 is currently in beta. That's why we're offering a special discount to our beta testers, as mentioned above. You can find more details here:

Introducing 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• sudheersudheer
    edited May 2018

When I bought the 1Password 4, there was combo price for Windows and Mac. Are you going to offer a windows/mac combo price for a standalone app?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@sudheer: No "bundles" are available, as most people expect those to include all platforms and that is not possible.

You can, however, get all of the apps with a 1Password.com membership. That also includes the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. Cheers! :)

• Hi, I am thinking of purchasing the windows license for 1password 7. From what I understood I can use the same license on every windows machine I am using? (Currently personal and work laptop). If yes Can I have multiple vaults? Or is it a membership only feature?
    In case that u can use multiple vaults with a standalone license, could I make a vault for sharing with family for them without having a license (just use it as a read-only with free 1passowrd apps)?

Regarding 1password for android. Right now there is the edition 6.8 to play store. If I buy it through in-app will it still be good when version 7 hits play store?
    Also any chance of releasing unlocker for android? I had very bad experiences with in-app in android since I have multiple accounts and in some apps depending which account I used in the play store may or may not recognize my in-app purchase.

Last thing. I am considering spending a large amount of money especially compared to KeePass or even free LastPass mainly because of actively developing and active customer care. On your side are you going to have independent audits on the way your software handles the encryption and everything else? Security is reason no1 for buying a software that you know that you pay enough for not selling your data isn't it?

Team Member

Hi @jimger,

Yes, you can use the same Windows license on any number of PCs you’re using 1Password on.

Multiple vaults is a feature of the 1Password 7 app, not a part of 1Password membership. 1Password membership just makes it easier to handle multiple vaults without having to deal with passwords whereas you have to remember the vault passwords for each new standalone vault you create and/or share.

You can share the vault with your family members but each one has to know your vault password and each will need a separate license if they want to modify the data. Note that you cannot revoke access to the vault later, meaning that if you change the vault password, they can still technically access it if they restore to an early copy of the vault.

We don’t know yet what the plan is for 1Password 7 for Android, the details will be announced fairly soon. No, we won’t be releasing 1Password outside of Play Store as far as I know.

As for security audits, we have had it done on 1Password.com: https://support.1password.com/security-assessments/

• Thanks for the info. As for Android, I didn't tell anything about outside play store, just a different approach for the pro version. Like many apps have unlockers (Poweramp SD maid etc).
    It would be good to know if it will be for Android as you already have the beta of 1password 7 for Android. So purchasing it now and again in 2 months is not really nice...

• I asked the same question a couple of days ago. Perhaps you guys should update the 1PW for Windows license FAQ or something to help clear it up for future members?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@mia: Which question are you referring to? There have been a lot of them! :lol:

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jimger: As Mike mentioned, we haven't announced anything for the next 1Password for Android release yet, but I'm sure we'll have more to share in the near future.

Also any chance of releasing unlocker for android? I had very bad experiences with in-app in android since I have multiple accounts and in some apps depending which account I used in the play store may or may not recognize my in-app purchase.

I don't full understand the question here, but I have not heard of anyone having issues with 1Password because of multiple Google Accounts. I have more than one, and I know others on our team (especially doing development!) have many more. Worst case scenario, you'll just need to install the app using the Google Account used for the purchase. But we just haven't seen the sorts of issues you seem to be describing.

• @mia I was referring to the question about being able to use 1PW standalone license for 1 user on unlimited computer (as long as we are the user). This was a dealbreaker for me as I need to carry it around with me on multiple laptops .

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@mia: Oh. I didn't get that at all, and I don't think Mike did either. I thought you were asking about multiple vaults. Thanks for clarifying! Indeed, when you purchase a license for 1Password, you're entitled to use that version on all of your compatible devices. For example, I've got a Windows license I use on my Surface, a desktop, and in a VM on my Mac. Does that help? :)

• @brenty that's exactly the problem I mentioned. I have to download it with the purchased account and the worse thing is probably updating it using the same account (So it is not one time only). As for Android, if we purchase the license using 1password 7 beta will it still be valid for 1Password 7? (If you don't make it a free upgrade in Android). Cause 10 euros now and 10 in 2-3 months is too much imho

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jimger: Right. I'm saying that we've had literally no reports of that causing trouble. The Google Play store allows you to be signed into multiple accounts at once, after all. There is no evidence that the problem you're referring to is anything other than a hypothetical. That's what I mean. And again,

we haven't announced anything for the next 1Password for Android release yet, but I'm sure we'll have more to share in the near future.

• Hi! I just downloaded the Beta of 1Password 7 for Windows. I own a 1Password 4 license and was just wondering how I could get a license for the demo product, until I can buy the upgrade license? Currently I can use 1PW7, but the vault is read-only.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@MaxAut: "Demo" licenses are not available. You can purchase a license in the app, or sign up for a 1Password.com membership. Either way, you'll have full access to 1Password 7. Cheers! :)

• I tried to buy today the 1password 7 for windows but instead of 40 dollars for the beta testers its asks for 50? Why is that? Any chance of getting the old price?

• @brenty following up from @mia: It really sucks that the licenses are platform-specific instead of true "per user" licenses. Instead of being able to buy a 1Password 7 user license, I have to buy 3 separate platform licenses: one for Mac (home), one for Windows (home VM + Work PC and Surface), and another for Android (mobile). The way the new licensing scheme reads, the only way to avoid this penalty is to convert to a 1Password.com membership (which is also curiously cheaper).

So, in effect, I and others like me are being punished with triple prices because A) we recognize that it's inherently cheaper to purchase a license outright instead of paying a monthly fee, and B ) we refuse to be coerced into storing our data on AgileBits' servers via a revolving subscription and prefer to keep our data on our own secured storage instead.

If this is the direction AB is headed, milking its customers for every cent it can, then I suppose I'll have to look at competing products to fill this need.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file