Licence for 1Password 7

Comments

• @brenty following up from @mia: It really stinks that the licenses are platform-specific instead of true "per user" licenses. Instead of being able to buy a 1Password 7 user license, I have to buy 3 separate platform licenses: one for Mac (home), one for Windows (home VM + Work PC and Surface), and another for Android (mobile). The way the new licensing scheme reads, the only way to avoid this penalty is to convert to a 1Password.com membership (which is also curiously cheaper).

So, in effect, I and others like me are being punished with triple prices because A) we recognize that it's inherently cheaper to purchase a license outright instead of paying a monthly fee, and B) we refuse to be coerced into storing our data on AgileBits' servers via a revolving subscription and prefer to keep our data on our own secured storage instead.

If this is the direction AB is headed, milking its customers for every cent it can, then I suppose I'll have to look at competing products to fill this need.

• I have the same question as @jimger. I've been using the beta since April 19th. When I click on "Buy Now" in the app no promo code is applied at the store, nor does it look like there is a spot for a promo code. Is there a trick to this or was there a window to buy at the beta user discount?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jimger: The beta discount was announced for our beta testers two months ago to only be available during the beta. Now that 1Password 7 is out of beta though, we're offering the launch special for a limited time.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

It really sucks that the licenses are platform-specific instead of true "per user" licenses.

@rickyp784: We agree. That's part of why 1Password.com memberships exist. They solve this problem.

Instead of being able to buy a 1Password 7 user license, I have to buy 3 separate platform licenses: one for Mac (home), one for Windows (home VM + Work PC and Surface), and another for Android (mobile). The way the new licensing scheme reads, the only way to avoid this penalty is to convert to a 1Password.com membership (which is also curiously cheaper).

To be clear, this isn't a "penalty". The reality is that you can't run 1Password for Mac on an iOS, Android, or Windows device, or vice versa. It also isn't possible to "bundle" apps between all of the various app stores, as they're owned and operated by different companies.

So, in effect, I and others like me are being punished with triple prices because A) we recognize that it's inherently cheaper to purchase a license outright instead of paying a monthly fee, and B ) we refuse to be coerced into storing our data on AgileBits' servers via a revolving subscription and prefer to keep our data on our own secured storage instead. If this is the direction AB is headed, milking its customers for every cent it can, then I suppose I'll have to look at competing products to fill this need.

I don't know where you're getting "triple" from, but yes, we charge sustainable prices for our products so we can continue developing, testing and supporting them. That's how we don't accept advertising, outside investment, get bought out, or collect user data to sell. There are definitely other options out there though, and we encourage people to evaluate them. We don't want people feeling like they're trapped using 1Password. We want people to use it because they appreciate the value they get out of it. And, like anything else, if you don't feel that you get enough value to justify the asking price, you shouldn't buy it. If there are specific features you're looking for as part of that, let us know. We can't place everyone, but we'll continue to add more over time. That's what you're paying for. 1Password.com members pay for that over time through their subscription. You're paying for that upfront, since it's a one-time license fee.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@essential: Indeed, I'm sorry for the confusion. The beta discount was offered in the beta and ended with the beta. There's a limited time launch special available now. If you need help with that, shoot us an email at [email protected] and we'll be happy to assist.

• @brenty You could still offer the beta price for beta testers and provide a warning about expiry. You actually didn't warn anyone. Also, regarding bundles, you could easily offer bundles for windows Android and Mac as they can install the apps directly from agilebits. That way only the ios users couldn't follow and that is a problem they should consider. But it is possible for you as a company to avoid paying Google and Apple fees and give your customers and your company better prices.
    @rickyp784 The license is actually per platform per user, not per platform. For example me and my girlfriend can't use the same license even on same computer. That being said, in my understanding switching to membership doesn't mean u have to use the 1password cloud. You can use Dropbox or even offline and just use agilebits cloud for licensing. Correct me if I am wrong

• @brenty so the beta tester pricing is no longer available? that is quite frustrating, as my trial only expired a couple of days ago but have only now had the time to sit down and purchase the license :(

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@delpetra: Indeed, I'm sorry to hear that. Like many deals, it was available for only a limited time. I miss out on a lot of those because of time zones... Please shoot us an email at [email protected] though and we'll see if there's something we can do to help.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited May 2018

You could still offer the beta price for beta testers and provide a warning about expiry. You actually didn't warn anyone.

@jimger: Actually, you were "warned" in the original beta announcement that this was going to be a limited offer, and the release notes mentioned this as well. The release candidate was a notice and opportunity for a lot of people who had been waiting to buy a license. I'm sorry you didn't take advantage of the opportunity. Feel free to reach out at [email protected] and we'll see if there's something we can do to help.

Also, regarding bundles, you could easily offer bundles for windows Android and Mac as they can install the apps directly from agilebits.

We've done exactly that. But when people bought a "bundle" they overwhelmingly expected to be able to use 1Password on all of their devices. We learned the hard way that it caused more problems than it solved. Hindsight is 20/20, yknow.

That way only the ios users couldn't follow and that is a problem they should consider. But it is possible for you as a company to avoid paying Google and Apple fees and give your customers and your company better prices.

I don't think that's a great customer experience, paying a different price depending on where they bought the app. I know I feel like a bit of a sucker when I buy something from one store and then see a better price somewhere else afterward. That would also lead to a lot of refund requests...and if I'm understanding you correctly, the app store version would be more expensive, result in more refund requests, and we couldn't refund them anyway. Pretty much everybody in that scenario loses.

@rickyp784 The license is actually per platform per user, not per platform. For example me and my girlfriend can't use the same license even on same computer. That being said, in my understanding switching to membership doesn't mean u have to use the 1password cloud. You can use Dropbox or even offline and just use agilebits cloud for licensing. Correct me if I am wrong

That's correct. It's a very good point. Certainly I wouldn't recommend that anyone do that because it means missing out on most of the benefits of a 1Password.com membership, but I know some folks do that.

• essentialessential
    edited May 2018

@brenty Yes, I read about the announcement about the discount for beta testers 2 months ago, which is in turn why I installed and used the beta. I read that the user would be prompted by the software to buy with the beta discount ... but I never was, and I've been using it since mid-April.

I think that's the confusion, we weren't sure how to take advantage of the beta discount, and I don't know about others, but I was never prompted to purchase while using the beta. I've been using 1PW7/1PW4/1PW iOS in conjunction since mid-April and never received a prompt about purchasing, just prompts that the software had been updated.

I'm still fine paying the $49.99 for a license, but the beta user upgrade discount seems like it was confusing, and I know I was not prompted to purchase at the beta discount during my use.

• I purchased a perpetual family license for windows. Are you no longer honoring those licenses with 1Password 7?

• @brenty I did even before you mentioned.
    If you can check internally #YEG-83367-267 would be glad

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@bytestorm,

Your license is still valid for the product you purchased (1Password 4 for Windows, perhaps?). Licenses do not include upgrades.

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@essential

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll be happy to pass it along to the rest of the team, in hopes we can make the process more clear for the next time.

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@jimger

Thanks. We’ll check it out.

Ben

• SeferSefer
    edited May 2018

@brenty "Indeed, I'm sorry to hear that. Like many deals, it was available for only a limited time. I miss out on a lot of those because of time zones... Please shoot us an email at [email protected] though and we'll see if there's something we can do to help."

There was no announcement, no date mentioned, no mail, no banner, no option until a few weeks ago I guess, to buy the windows license. I feel betrayed. Already contacted the support, I used the beta, tested the beta and that's why I am asking for the offered price which got removed without any major announcement. Usually I get mails from you, but not for such an important thing (like the official release)?

I want to ask for a refund for the Mac version if you decline to support your loyal customers. Or am I allowed to resell my license? There is no need for me if I cannot use it on windows.

EDIT: see also this: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90650/what-happened-to-39-99-beta-offer-on-windows#latest

I am not the only one. There must be a mistake or bad communication on your side!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@Sefer

I’m sorry if it wasn’t clear that the pricing was only available for a limited time. We don’t typically announce the end of sales... In any event if you’ve got an email in to our sales team they would be in the best position to explain the options going forward.

Ben

• This beta process was very badly managed. We were told we'd get a special price for participating in the beta and now that promise is being broken. I did what was asked (i.e. participate in the beta). It seems that many of us missed a very short window where we were able to claim the promised $39.99 price.

@brenty You said "The beta discount was offered in the beta and ended with the beta". This is not actually true - it was not offered "in the beta" but only at the very END of the beta. I had the beta installed since March and regularly checked for the ability to get the discounted license. But nothing ever appeared - no notice, no warning, nothing.

It appears that the Beta discount was only available during the last few days of the beta. So if we missed it, it's tough luck? That is not a way to do business.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

This beta process was very badly managed. We were told we'd get a special price for participating in the beta and now that promise is being broken.

@dangerous77: That's simply not true, or the hundreds of other beta testers who purchased would not have been able to do so.

I did what was asked (i.e. participate in the beta). It seems that many of us missed a very short window where we were able to claim the promised $39.99 price.

When licenses were added, anyone without a license and not using an account would have been prompted to buy one. Otherwise everything would be read only and tell you to purchase to remove that limitation.

@brenty You said "The beta discount was offered in the beta and ended with the beta". This is not actually true - it was not offered "in the beta" but only at the very END of the beta.

It was offered before the beta ended, right within the beta app. That's the definition of "in the beta".

I had the beta installed since March and regularly checked for the ability to get the discounted license. But nothing ever appeared - no notice, no warning, nothing. It appears that the Beta discount was only available during the last few days of the beta. So if we missed it, it's tough luck? That is not a way to do business.

It sounds like you weren't using the beta, but just checking it periodically for the discount. I'm sorry if you missed the opportunity as a result, but the intention was that people actively participating in the beta and giving feedback (we did not hear from you until today —nearly a week after the beta had ended) get a discount for doing so. But, as I mentioned previously, if you'll shoot us an email at [email protected] we'll see if there's something we can do to help.

• @brenty I have been using the Beta as my primary app (since 21 March in fact). The one time I found an issue, it had already been reported on the forums so I didn't post. And yes, I'm as surprised as you are that I only found a single issue given your poor track record on the Windows platform :)

That's simply not true, or the hundreds of other beta testers who purchased would not have been able to do so.

Well judging from the posts here, there seem to be a lot of us who missed out. I'm sure only a small percentage of us are going to the effort to post anything here. And the fact is that your beta was poorly managed ... you don't seem able to tell which users have actually used the beta and upgraded. If you could, we wouldn't be having this issue, would we?

When licenses were added, anyone without a license and not using an account would have been prompted to buy one.

Can you tell me when this was exactly? If I went a few days without using my PC (which is not unusual), would I have missed it?

It was offered before the beta ended, right within the beta app. That's the definition of "in the beta".

No, simply not correct. DURING the beta implies that it's available DURING the entire beta. Not just for a few days at the end when people might miss it.

(we did not hear from you until today —nearly a week after the beta had ended)

Also not true, I emailed your support team a couple of days ago (but have yet to hear back). But that's really not relevant.

• So, let me get this straight... because I chose a Mac as laptop and a Windows PC as desktop, I have to buy TWO licences at the "discounted" price of 52 EUR each (that's a lot of money for such a small software, imho)? Wow, standalone license just got a lot less appealing.

And if I go the subscription route:

• can I still use local vaults? (no local vaults is not an option)
    • can I revert my opvault to v4 / v6 if at some point I don't find v7 worth the subscription?

Thanks!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I have been using the Beta as my primary app (since 21 March in fact). The one time I found an issue, it had already been reported on the forums so I didn't post. And yes, I'm as surprised as you are that I only found a single issue given your poor track record on the Windows platform :)

@dangerous77: Well, there were definitely a lot more bugs than that, but I'm glad to hear we were able to exceed your poor expectations! :lol:

Well judging from the posts here, there seem to be a lot of us who missed out. I'm sure only a small percentage of us are going to the effort to post anything here. And the fact is that your beta was poorly managed ... you don't seem able to tell which users have actually used the beta and upgraded. If you could, we wouldn't be having this issue, would we?

Based on your other comments, it sounds like you had a rather good experience with the beta. Folks using the beta had the option to purchase the upgrade. Like the beta, it was not mandatory. So I'm not sure how it would be helpful to know who didn't unless they reach out to us and tell us why.

Can you tell me when this was exactly? If I went a few days without using my PC (which is not unusual), would I have missed it?

Licenses were available from the 21st until the beta ended, so more than a week.

No, simply not correct. DURING the beta implies that it's available DURING the entire beta. Not just for a few days at the end when people might miss it.

You can think whatever you want, but as far as I know, you're the only one in the world for whom "during" means "entire" (and that word is conspicuously absent from the announcement):

I'm sorry that it wasn't clearer, but we did not know exactly when licensing would be ready at that point, so we could neither offer it throughout the entire beta nor say we would.

Also not true, I emailed your support team a couple of days ago (but have yet to hear back). But that's really not relevant.

It absolutely is. There is nothing in the inbox from this address, but if you'll post the Support ID you received we can track it down and get back to you.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

So, let me get this straight... because I chose a Mac as laptop and a Windows PC as desktop, I have to buy TWO licences at the "discounted" price of 52 EUR each (that's a lot of money for such a small software, imho)? Wow, standalone license just got a lot less appealing.

@sebmercier: I'm not too familiar with EU taxes and such, but yeah that's about what it cost me. I love my Mac and PC too. :)

And if I go the subscription route:
    can I still use local vaults? (no local vaults is not an option)

Yep.

can I revert my opvault to v4 / v6 if at some point I don't find v7 worth the subscription?

If you're using a local vault there's no "reverting"; both 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 support OPVault. Cheers! :)

• @brenty
    I emailed @sales as you suggested and haven't heard back yet. How long is the $49.99 price available? The last thing I want to do is miss out on the beta discount, and then also miss out on the $49.99 price while waiting on sales to respond. I assume you guys are swamped, I usually hear back within a day, so it's not an issue, as long as I have a couple days left to take advantage of the $49.99 price as well.

Also, I've been using 1PW7 and 1PW4 and never saw a popup for the discount, it surprises me it was there for over a week and I didn't see it. 1PW for iOS is probably what I use the most (all synced via DropBox), so it's conceivable I didn't use my desktop version for a couple days ... maybe it's just bad luck/timing.

Thanks.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited June 2018

@essential: Thanks for doing that. There's definitely a delay with the volume messages, especially with a lot of folks sending more than one. I'm sorry we can't get back to everyone sooner, but we do need to reply to others who have been waiting longer. I don't know exactly when the launch special will end. But we'll absolutely take into account that you contacted us while the special was still running if we're not able to get back to you in adequate time. Thanks for your patience. :blush:

ref: BUT-77991-364

• Thanks @brenty, great support as always!

• When licenses were added, anyone without a license and not using an account would have been prompted to buy one. Otherwise everything would be read only and tell you to purchase to remove that limitation.

No prompt, nothing.

As I said, no prompt, banner, mail, nothing. Few days ago it simply went into read-only shit-happens-mode... I wasn't able to check it for 1 and a half week, guess this was our grace period? Again, can't be serious.

• The license is actually per platform per user, not per platform. For example me and my girlfriend can't use the same license even on same computer. That being said, in my understanding switching to membership doesn't mean u have to use the 1password cloud. You can use Dropbox or even offline and just use agilebits cloud for licensing.

@jimger It's really per platform per user. Since I'm the only user I'm buying for, that's why I referred to it that way. :)

@brenty:

I don't know where you're getting "triple" from, but yes, we charge sustainable prices for our products so we can continue developing, testing and supporting them.

I meant for each of the separate licenses for Android, MacOS, and Windows.

That's part of why 1Password.com memberships exist. They solve this problem.

Evidently, they do...mostly. I didn't know we could use our own sync partner. I thought users were required to use 1password.com for a subscription! My mistake (thanks for pointing that out, @jimger). You folks really should point that out better under the FAQ on this page.

That said, I'm still somewhat annoyed that there's a perpetual monthly fee instead of a one-time purchase, but considering the cost savings of the membership vs. licenses (plus free upgrades), I'd say it's a fair trade off. However, I would still prefer a multi-platform, one-user license that could possibly be offered for, say, $50 or $60. That's still a premium over the ~$36/year for an individual subscription.

• @rickyp784 Considering that 65 is the normal price for windows I would say if they would offer multiplarform would be for at least 120...considering it is 4 platforms

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@essential: Glad that I — and Greig — was able to help. Cheers! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file