Activating a license file on a second Mac

Options
tukiemonster
tukiemonster
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Just a quick feedback: As a long-time 1Password user, I have just purchased the beta version of 1Password 7 and successfully installed it on my iMac. I then downloaded the software and the license file onto my MacBook and tried to activate the license, but I did not find an obvious way to do so. When 1Password starts, I am greeted by the "subscribe/buy" popup. The same popup comes up when I double-click the license file itself. I can got to the menu bar and select "License" from the 1Password7 menu, but the dialog is not accessible.

I finally tried clicking on "buy" to get the main window's lock screen, and subsequently I was able to import the license file. So things are working for me now, but you might want to make this process more intuitive for the final version.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @tukiemonster! That's a great question. You should have received an email with a link in it when you purchased the license. Open the email on your second computer and click the big blue button in it to add the license to 1Password 7 there as well. :)

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same experience and it was tedious to say the least.
    I sure could have used the license file in the email, but at the same time, the app could have opened in Trial mode and let me access the license file that was saved right there in my own Vault that had already synched through Dropbox.

Corentin

• rudy
    Options

@tukiemonster , @artemsyd , @cortig,

The license file should actually be automatically added to your vault, and when you link up the 1Password 7 on the other machine to that vault, whether it be a standalone vault that's synced or a 1Password.com vault. it should automatically detect that license file in your vault and apply the license on that other machine.

if this isn't the case, definitely let us know.

Rudy

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I also can only use the read-only version 7 of 1Password on my second Mac. I'm asked to buy a new license. Please advise. (PS: I noticed that there seems to be an old iCloud archive/vault, which may prevent 1Password from recognising the licence file in the correct/up-to-date vault?)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steffen

I noticed that there seems to be an old iCloud archive/vault, which may prevent 1Password from recognising the licence file in the correct/up-to-date vault

That's likely to be the culprit. However, you should be able to use the license file from the email you were sent after purchasing. And if all else fails, you can find the actual license itself in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/ on your first Mac (as @artemsyd mentioned previously). That can be copied over to the second Mac and placed in the same location.

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. So far I didn’t receive a purchase confirmation and my first Mac is currently unavailable but I’ll this on Tuesday.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steffen - sounds good; let us know how you get on. :+1:

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars: thanks again, when i opened 1Password 7 beta 3 today, it was (magically?) no longer in read-only mode. Great!

• Jacob
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you're welcome :)

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy, it didn't happen, but I'm not 100% sure the dropbox sync was complete when I launched the app.

Corentin

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018
    Options

That could certainly be problematic if not. If you run through the process again, ensuring that the sync is complete first, and it still happens... please let us know.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I made the mistake of opening up 1Password in a second account I use for testing on the same Mac. The Dropbox sync was complete, but for some reason, 1Password didn't pick up my previous vault at all when I launched the app.
    The experience was NOT pleasant. The UI seems to be exclusively geared towards Subscription-based users. If you have a license, there is nothing (I could see) that would allow me to enter the license information I had.
    No way either to open up a Vault to get the information from there. You can't get rid of the window that asks you to subscribe.

The UI should at least have an option somewhere that says "Enter your license information".

On top of everything, I made the mistake of selecting the wrong Vault as my primary vault and switching primary vaults is yet another source of pains and aches :-\

Corentin

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback on this Corentin. As the majority of customers are on memberships now and that is where all new customers are being directed it does make sense to have the welcome screen focus on that type of setup. That said I’ll talk to development and see if we can improve this area for standalone customers.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. I realize a number of your customers opted for subscriptions and you're trying to push that approach.
    There are still many of us though who do not want to have a subscription. I'm quite happy with my standalone license that I've renewed year after year since the v1 of the app and I have no intention whatsoever fo migrating. Since the standalone license is still supported, the UI must reflect it one way or the other and make it possible to at least activate the app you paid for IMVHO.

Corentin

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.