Relationship between 1Password 7 beta and 1Password X beta extension for Firefox and Chrome

Options
temtexdent
temtexdent
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

So I am using the 1Password X Firefox beta. Is this included in 7 or compatible? Sorry if this is already answered. I could not find anything on it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@temtexdent,

No, there is no integration between 1Password 7 and 1Password X at this time.

Rudy

• temtexdent
    temtexdent
    Community Member
    Options

So, to clarify and make sure I understand. 1Password X only works with 1Password 6. Correct? Thus, I would need to choose between the 2 products for the time being?

• rudy
    Options

@temtexdent,

Nope, 1Password X has 0 interactions with 1Password 6. It only works directly with 1Password.com.

Rudy

• tallackn
    tallackn
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I have a 1Password subscription (via the website) and I just upgraded to 1Password to version 7 on my Mac. I am also using 1Password X on Chrome.

What is the benefit gained by using both? Are there things that 1Password X on Chrome can do that using 1Password 7 exclusively wont be able to do for me?

I'm happy to keep using both if there is a benefit. But having to unlock each one of them separately is becoming quite annoying. :(

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

The only benefit is 1Password X does not require a desktop version to be installed on the client device, this is useful on a work laptop for example.

On my personal laptop I'd rather have the desktop version and the relevant browser extension.

You shouldn't have both at the same time as there is 0 benefit in this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, the benefit of using the 1Password for Mac desktop extension is that...well, they can work together. 1Password X exists for situations where there is no 1Password app to work with: Linux, ChromeOS, restrictive business environments — or you just don't want to install the whole app. Cheers! :)

• silverbenz
    silverbenz
    Community Member
    Options

Unless I'm doing something wrong, there does seem to be a difference.

In Chrome or Firefox browsers, the browser extension (I have 1Password 7 installed on my Mac) does not fill those annoying HTML auth login prompt dialog boxes, where 1Password X was able to do this. The standard browser extension works fine when the login fields exist as part of a web page, however.

• bezanson
    bezanson
    Community Member
    Options

1Password X is awesome on my work laptop (Windows 10) where I would not be able to normally install 1Password. On my personal Mac I use 1Password 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bezanson: Thanks for taking the time to let us know! Indeed, that's one of the main reasons we've built 1Password X, but we're also excited that others are enjoying it too. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@silverbenz: Indeed, there are a number of differences between 1Password X and the desktop extensions. We'll continue to work on both and focus on the strengths of each, perhaps to bring them together down the road if it makes sense and becomes feasible. :)

• Grow
    Grow
    Community Member
    Options

Honestly I strongly recommend to merge them so that users won't be confused like this and reduce the workload of the team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's not as simple as that, but if it can be achieved I agree that could benefit everyone. :)

This discussion has been closed.