Duo for Standalone Apps finally appears

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Lounge

While everything appears to be in order, I have never noticed, when using it in the beta stages, that a selection of mobile numbers/devices was allowed in Duo Mobile (iOS/Android)? I am now noticing this change in Standalone App. I have not yet noticed 1Password for iOS/Android authentication with Duo.

Perhaps this feature just escaped me?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Moritz_
    Moritz_
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I would love to reply with an answer but unfortunately I don't understand your question.
    Would you mind rephrasing your question to be more concise? What is is that you are expecting so see and where?

If you would like to know if 1Password supports Duo MFA for loging into your Vaults - this is currently not supported and there are plenty of documents and posts from the 1Password folks talking about this.
    /edit: ok maybe they have changed their mind on this one. But it used to be like that.

/edit:
    Are you referring to this maybe? https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67571/tips-on-how-to-get-multi-factor-authentication-via-duo-working/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: You won't be automatically prompted to authenticate with Duo in the apps just because we launched this. It should still respect your security settings and only prompt you as required, for example when you setup your account on a new device. Does that help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Moritz_: Just to be clear, there is no login process for vaults; rather, all of this is handled at the account level. But if you're using Duo authentication for your 1Password Teams (or Business) account, it should prompt you in the apps just as in the web interface now, based on your account settings. Is that what you were wondering about?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I apologise for any confusion. It happened when I looked at the Duo Prompt and there wasn't any indication of alternative devices. Only the number and name I used for Duo Admin. I also noticed the screens's UX/UI have changed from previous times.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Ah, I think you may be misunderstanding what's changed. The 1Password app on your devices will not function as a substitute for Duo for the purposes of authenticating on other devices. Instead, the native 1Password apps will also prompt you to authenticate with Duo when you use them, like the website has for some time now. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Moritz_
    Moritz_
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Gotcha! Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I just had a slight memory of JP saying something couple years ago that MFA for vaults won't be an option. But since then time has passed and the Teams product was introduced so things indeed have changed. Sorry if I added more confusion that helped. Happy easter :chuffed:

• Ben
    Options

No worries. Happy Easter. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Moritz_: I suspect you're referring to Jeff Goldberg, our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts. The key point is that this will never happen for local vaults, as there is no authentication involved there. It is, however, something we can do with 1Password.com accounts, since they have a sever component. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

The screens all look different, which was what confused me. I will attempt some screenshots.

Thanks and Happy Easter!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy Easter to you too! Hopefully this goes without saying, but be sure not to expose any sensitive information here in this public forum. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

This is the screen shot for Windows.

On the phone side, I am not seeing it yet but I was used to using one number not realising there were more numbers or devices hidden in the Device menu (it is not evident in the picture that there is a popup menu there).

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it would be easy to miss that, as the device element looks exactly like the ‘call me’ element. I’ll pass the feedback along to our Windows team for their consideration.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@wkleem: Just to clarify, you have more than one device you can select from? Can you attach a screenshot of that (without exposing any personal information)?

I'm seeing an arrow to indicate the menu on Windows 10. Are you not seeing that on Windows 7?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

I will observe and repost but the image shown was what I saw initially. It could be different now.

• Ben
    Options

Understood, but it also appears you may have censored out the down arrow icon which is what differentiates this field from other fields.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: There are definitely some display/clarify issues though, as we're going to some trouble to be able to support Windows versions going back to 7. We can't use the standard controls in a lot of places, so it does look a bit weird on Windows 7. But we'll continue to look into ways we can improve it.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

My timeout in Teams Pro for Duo is set to 1 day. I had issues with the timeout = 0 previously but I now also cannot make the popup appear on demand?

I would have to wait for the Duo screen to reappear, hopefully soon.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Interestingly, Duo for Standalone app on the MAC shows more devices in the drop down menu than on Windows. Will post screen shots later.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If your timeout is set to 1 day, it shouldn't be long. ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Here is another screen shot this time with the indicator showing. I could not go back to redo the earlier screen shot.

Now compare it to the previous screen shot. If I did black out the arrow it was unintentional, but I think I did not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: We definitely didn't think you'd intentionally blacked out the arrow. And even with it showing, I still think it's a bit unclear that it's a menu, given they all just look like white boxes, and it's just going to be hard to read on some displays. We can do better here. Thanks for bringing it up. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Brent,

Could you compare MAC and Windows versions with Duo for Standalone apps? I have noticed MAC has more devices showing in the pop up menu than Windows. Windows are limited to phone numbers while MAC is not, showing all devices.

• Hi @wkleem,

Good eye for noticing. There are two different ways of interacting with Duo. The first is via what they call their DuoWeb SDK. DuoWeb is something Duo provides and if an app can load a webpage within itself it’s the best and easiest way to integrate Duo into an app. 1Password for Mac, iOS, Android, Web and 1Password X all use this method. The experience there is done entirely by Duo and you see a complete list of your devices.

Unfortunately not all apps can do that web page loading nicely. 1Password for Windows has trouble due to the fact that we’d need to use the InternetExplorer engine to do so and we aren’t fond of that idea. 1Password’s command-line tool has similar problems... the web isn’t made for the command line. And so these two apps use another method of interacting with Duo which is more direct and native. Unfortunately this limits which devices are allowed as we don’t support all Duo methods there yet. I’d love to support them all but we just are there yet.

I hope that helps

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks for the confirmation @rickfillion. I have so far noticed only Mac and Windiws activating Duo, not 1Password Standalone on mobile. All up to date, iOS is at 1Password 7 and Android is at 1Password 6.7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Correct. There's no Duo in a standalone setup with only local vaults. Authentication only happens with 1Password.com accounts. Version 7 will support Duo and (TOTP) two-factor authentication on all platforms.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Correct. There's no Duo in a standalone setup with only local vaults. Authentication only happens with 1Password.com accounts. Version 7 will support Duo and (TOTP) two-factor authentication on all platforms.

On my side, both 1Password for MAC and Windows have local vaults removed but I still have local vaults AND 1Password.com on mobile.

It never occured to me that local vaults could interfere with Duo authentication even when 1Password subscription is present.

• @wkleem : local vaults shouldn't interfere with Duo. What Brenty meant was that if you only have local vaults then Duo wouldn't work as there's nothing to authenticate.

Duo should come up on mobile if you have a 1Password account with Duo enabled. Can you try editing an item there and making sure that the item change syncs to the other apps?

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, I will attempt to make changes and then report back when I can.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi

I have observed when I attempted to log in to my teams account via Mobile Safari that the authenticatication and subsequent log in takes a Long time with spinning for than 4 minutes + (so far) and eventually I suppose it will just time out.

I am currently outdoors on my 4” iPhone so perhaps there is an issue with Duo and 1Password 7 for iOS here?

The sign in to my teams account worked on the second attempt.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.