How to synch a new vault from iMac to iOS devices.

Options
jnjsq22
jnjsq22
Community Member

I have been using just one vault for years and have it synched successfully using Dropbox to a second mac and multiple iPads and iPhones.

Today I created a second vault on a Mac. It says I need to name the Vault and then give it a Master Password.

Should the Master Password for Vault # 2 be the same as the Master Password for Vault # 1 or should it be different.

Then I am confused how to synch Vault # 2 to my other mac and iOS devices. I go to Preferences on the mac where I created the 2nd vault and then Synch, click on the Second Vault and it asks me to synch with None, Dropbox, or Folder. I click on Dropbox and it asks to click on a location. I click on the folder with agilekeychain and then it says it has found existing data and will merge the two vaults.

But I don't want to merge. I want them separate on each device i own.

So please help. I am confused.

1Password Version: 6.01
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSx 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

I have been using just one vault for years and have it synched successfully using Dropbox to a second mac and multiple iPads and iPhones. Today I created a second vault on a Mac. It says I need to name the Vault and then give it a Master Password. Should the Master Password for Vault # 2 be the same as the Master Password for Vault # 1 or should it be different.

@jnjsq22: Good question! If you're going to be using that vault yourself, we'd recommend using the same Master Password (unless you've been using a weak one, in which case choosing a new long, strong, unique Master Password and using that for both would be best). But if you're going to share that vault with someone else, you should probably not use the same Master Password you use for you own data, as you'd then have to tell it to them too.

Then I am confused how to synch Vault # 2 to my other mac and iOS devices. I go to Preferences on the mac where I created the 2nd vault and then Synch, click on the Second Vault and it asks me to synch with None, Dropbox, or Folder. I click on Dropbox and it asks to click on a location. I click on the folder with agilekeychain and then it says it has found existing data and will merge the two vaults. But I don't want to merge. I want them separate on each device i own. So please help. I am confused.

Indeed, if this is a new vault you want to remain separate, do not select an existing vault. If you select a folder in Dropbox instead, a new sync'd copy will be created there. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

P.S: If you're really running 1Password for Mac version 6.0.1, please download the latest version from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

That one is over two years old.

• jnjsq22
    jnjsq22
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I upgraded to the new 6.8.8 version and then was able to create a second vault and synch it to my other devices.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jnjsq22 - Great! On behalf of brenty, I'm glad he was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.