When WLAN work 1Password 6 for Windows?

Options

According to this article the WLAN feature is not available on 1Password 6 for Windows? When will it be available?

https://support.1password.com/wlan-server/

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:WLAN on 1Password 6 for Windows

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @imthenachoman,

Thank you for getting in touch!

Right now we are working on an update for 1Password 6 for Windows, it is 1Password 7 for Windows and it is already in beta:

Introducing 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

1Password 7 for Windows will support syncing to our 1Password membership service, Dropbox, and folders that you can sync yourself to other PCs. We do not have plans to support WLAN Sync at the moment. If you want to see WLAN Sync in 1Password, we would like to hear your feedback. Please sign up to our WLAN Sync mailing list here and let us know why WLAN Sync is important to you. This will help us determine how many people would like to see WLAN Server sync in 1Password 7.

We also have a discussion of it in our forum here, so please feel free to join it.

From my experience, WLAN Server sync can be tricky, because you can easily forget to sync all of your devices manually before you left home and then find yourself without your important data. I understand that your experience can be different, so please share your opinion. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• imthenachoman
    imthenachoman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Greg! Any plan to add other cloud options? Like custom cloud options? I have a personal NextCloud server and would prefer to use that. I don't trust DropBox or iCloud to store my vault. I'd rather have it on my personal home server and let the Android and iOS app it from there.

Also any plan to add an option to auto-update/refresh/sync the DB on the Android/iOS app on some schedule?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @imthenachoman,

In 1Password 7 we already support syncing to folders, which you can sync yourself to other PCs using your cloud. However, in order to get your data to your iPhone or Android device with 1Password 7 for Windows you will need to use our 1Password membership or store a standalone vault on Dropbox. There is no way to sync to iPhone or Android within your local network.

Is there a reason you don't trust 1Password accounts either? The security of our accounts is layered, relies on end-to-end encryption, maintains privacy by design, and focuses on real defenses instead of theatrical ones. We take the security of your data seriously, so please let us know.

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• imthenachoman
    imthenachoman
    Community Member
    Options

I don't trust any cloud services. I would prefer that the Android and iOS app support personal cloud or WebDAV so I can use my own server.

I know the vault is encrypted but if y'all are hacked and someone does get my vault, then with enough time and computing power they can probably break into it.

• imthenachoman
    imthenachoman
    Community Member
    Options

This might be a moot point since it looks like the windows clients no longer support local vaults. It looks like everything is on your cloud?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @imthenachoman,

As I've mentioned in another reply to you just now, 1Password 7 Beta for Windows supports local vaults and will support them when it is released. What made you think that they are not supported anymore?

As for the question at hand: the current version of 1Password for iOS or Android do not support support WebDAV or personal clouds. We believe that 1Password accounts (when your encrypted vault is stored on our servers) is the best way to use 1Password right now, because they provide the best experience for our new users. The majority of our customers do not want to deal with sync options or backups, they want 1Password to just work and this is what 1Password accounts provide.

Moreover, with with 1Password accounts, we've taken it even security a bit further, since three things are needed to do anything useful with your data:

1) The encrypted data.
    2) The Secret Key
    3) The Master Password

Without each of these, it's impossible to access anything you have stored in 1Password.com. With a local vault, only the Master Password and vault are needed. That's not to say it's insecure. But since we're now storing people's data on our servers, we understand that we're an even more appealing target. But this way, even if the server is breached, it is impossible for someone to gain access to your data because we simply never have the keys to it — only you do.

And more awesomely, with a 1Password account, it is also impossible for someone to perform a brute force attack on your Master Password to try to decrypt the data — because they'd also need to guess the randomly generated, 128-bit Secret Key. Finally, the Secret Key and Master Password are never transmitted: only you have them. The Secret Key is generated locally on your device when you setup the account, and the Master Password is chosen by you.

If you are interested in juicy details, you can check our technical whitepaper. We also have a $100K bug bounty, along with security audits by three separate security firms.

Please let me know if it helps you understand 1Password accounts better. I am always here to answer any additional questions, if you have them. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.