Browser needs authorisation every time it starts ! Frustrating

Options
stuarthw
stuarthw
Community Member

safari 11.0.3 , however this week it has started to require authorisation every time it starts . Can anyone tell me the solution please?
Stuart

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• florenceplomp
    florenceplomp
    Community Member
    Options

having the same problem here!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @stuarthw and welcome to the forum, @florenceplomp! It's a bit hard to say for certain, since neither of you provided your system or 1Password details (version of 1Password, version of extension, version of macOS) -- but I can tell you that this problem is solved in 1Password 7 for Mac. If you're willing to run beta software and you have a 1password.com account or are willing to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac, that particular issue is one of a number that are a thing of the past due to changes made in inter-process communication.

If you're NOT ready/willing to do that, then I would suggest making sure you've updated macOS to the very latest version (10.13.4), and that both Safari and 1Password (as well as the extension) are also up to date. See if that helps, and let us know.

• florenceplomp
    florenceplomp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, thanks!
    I have a Family account trial version (downloaded it this weekend) on my mac with safari. (OS high Sierra with the latest updates). So I should try a beta webversion?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@florenceplomp - If you're on a 1password.com account, you should be fine to download and install 1Password 7 for Mac beta. Visit this link to download the full package (.pkg) installer for the latest version. You'll be installing this as if it were new, not as an update to version 6, so before you launch the installer, make sure you Quit 1Password 6 and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Then, fire up the installer for 1Password 7 for Mac beta and you'll be all set! Don't forget to uninstall version 6 once you've got version 7 running. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password 6 app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the trash.

• florenceplomp
    florenceplomp
    Community Member
    Options

hm now my browser extension doesn't work anymore....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@florenceplomp: Can you be more specific? Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you having trouble with specific sites? If so, knowing the URL will be critical. Often simply manually saving the login will save additional information that will allow 1Password to work though. Let me know! :)

• florenceplomp
    florenceplomp
    Community Member
    Options

sorry, I restarted and now it works!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem! Glad to hear it. We're here if you need us. :)

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member
    Options

Lars , sorry for Brevity in 1st post.
    A quick question , (i) is 1Password 7 a "paid " or chargeable upgrade ?

I have 6.8.8 High Sierrra 10.13.3, Safari 11.0.3 and extension 4.6.9

• edfry
    edfry
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, am having the same problem.
    This is very frustrating, but, guess i'll have to wait for 1Password 7...

My Info: OSX 10.11.6, Safari 11.1, 1Password 6.8.8, Extension 4.7.0.

• checw
    checw
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue, It's very annoying.
    Info: OSX 10.13.4, Safari 11.1, 1Password 6.8.8, Extension 4.7.0.
    Need more help, thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A quick question , (i) is 1Password 7 a "paid " or chargeable upgrade ?

@stuarthw: 1Password 7 licenses will be a paid upgrade. All the latest versions are included in a 1Password.com membership though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This is very frustrating, but, guess i'll have to wait for 1Password 7...

@edfry: I'm sorry you're having trouble, but why do you say that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@checw: This isn't something we can fix for you. It will be specific to your setup. Please see my next post for more details.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To everyone having issues with Safari requiring authorization,

I think there may be some confusion about Lars 's comment about 1Password 7 above. This issue does not exist there because we will be using a new Apple technology there which allows 1Password to integrate with it without a separate extension.

But, to be completely clear, repeated Safari authorization in the browser is neither how 1Password works nor an unsolvable problem. It's system specific, as there are two causes, both of which are outside of 1Password:

• 3rd party software or extension interfering: If Safari is being prevented from accessing its saved authorization, it will be required again. That could be because software prevents Safari from saving it, deletes it, or blocks it from finding it.
    • Safari is broken: In rare cases, Safari itself is at the cause, as it simply isn't saving the authorization in the first place. In that case, there will be no way of it restoring the session with 1Password next time.

By far the most common cause is "adblock" software of some kind, so if you're using anything like that it's a good place to start looking. So long as the authorization can be saved the first time and read subsequent times, it won't be necessary to do it over again.

• edfry
    edfry
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    This is what i did following your Post: 'To everyone having issues with Safari requiring authorization'

After each mod in Safari, i quite, restarted Safari and re-installed the 1Password Xtension 4.7.0
    unblocked all pop-up & adblock buttons in Prefs
    Uninstall each XTension, one by one.
    Still the Same Authorization problem.

Down loaded the Beta 1Password Xtension 4.7.1.b3
    reinstalled all my Xtensions, rest Safari Preferences to my original quit & Restart Safari.
    Did all the above with the Beta Xtension
    Still the Same Authorization problem.
    Nothing worked.

don't know why. guess i'll have to live with this.
    Haven't tried in other Browsers yet/

thanks for your help

My Info: OSX 10.11.6, Safari 11.1, 1Password 6.8.8, Extension 4.7.0 & 1Password Xtension 4.7.1.b3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@edfry: I'd suggest removing adblockers temporarily then. It's not ideal, but the other likely option — reinstalling Safari — is even more of a pain. If you can get the authorization saved often adblockers will not prevent it from being read at least. Beta versus stable extension won't matter though. All of this is happening in Safari itself. And if you're "resetting" Safari, that will almost certainly clear the authorization as well. Other browsers use a completely different integration method, and so are not affected. Let me know what you find.

• stuarthw
    stuarthw
    Community Member
    Options

I’m not thrilled to find a product (1Password 6) I’ve paid a lot for .... is being left behind .
    I feel my loyalty towards agile has been betrayed ... I’ve sung your praises to hundreds of colleagues, now we are forced to spend more to stay on the latest version.🤬

(Useful support above for the browser extension... many thanks )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

(Useful support above for the browser extension... many thanks )

@stuarthw: You're welcome!

I’m not thrilled to find a product (1Password 6) I’ve paid a lot for .... is being left behind . I feel my loyalty towards agile has been betrayed ... I’ve sung your praises to hundreds of colleagues, now we are forced to spend more to stay on the latest version.🤬

But can you tell me what you're talking about here? It sounds like you're maybe upset that we charge money for the work we do, but I'm probably misunderstanding you.

• checw
    checw
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I re-install the extension and reboot macbook, the authorization requirements no longer appear. Thanks a lot!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for the update! Glad that did the trick for you. :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.