1Password Toolbar at Startup?

KBeat
KBeat
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Unlike with mini, the new 1Password tool found in the toolbar no longer runs at startup. I have to manually launch the 1Password application to have access to passwords in the toolbar, as well as in web browsers. They will remain working and running after I quit the application, but I must launch it manually each time I log in first.

I can't find a way to change this in the application preferences. Is there a way to have the needed background task running at startup/login?

1Password Version: 7 beta 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud/Subscription

Comments

• Jacob
    edited April 2018

Hey @KBeat! Indeed, 1Password 7 won't open at startup unless it's in your Login Items. You can add it by right-clicking the 1Password icon in your dock and choosing Options > Open at Login. Hope that helps!

ref: apple-334

• Hello again @KBeat! I just did a bit more testing here and 1Password launches at startup in the menu bar for me so let's check some things. Open 1Password and unlock it, then click 1Password > Preferences, and choose Browsers. Make sure "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" is is enabled, then click General and make sure "Show 1Password in the menu bar" is enabled. Let me know if that helps get 1Password launching at startup. :)

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

Hey Jacob,

Both are, and were, checked. They do work, in so far as when I quit 1Password, the browser extensions and the toolbar utility keep working. However, 1Password does not run in the background at login or restart. I have to "activate" it, and by extension the toolbar utility and browser extensions, by first manually launching the 1Password application.

Yes, I can add it to the startup items, but I don't want to launch the 1Password browser or app every time I login. I just want the toolbar utility (formerly 1Password mini) and the browser extensions running. The vast majority of the time, they're all the interaction with 1Password I require.

With 6, this happened at login. This isn't happening for me with 7.

• Hi @KBeat ,

Can you try toggling those preferences off and on again, if you have not already. Let us know if that makes a difference for you.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

Hi Kevin,

I don't know if it was toggling the settings again (I had previously tried that) or if it was something changed in beta 5, but it's now working. I see the 1Password icon bounce briefly in the dock at login, and disappear. The toolbar utility remains running, and browser extensions work well in Chrome and Safari. Working as intended. :)

Thank you.

• Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.