Secure Notes - Editing doesn't prompt to save or cancel & too many clicks

jonsoini
jonsoini
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

So, editing notes doesn't behave as I expect a note editor to behave, and is 'fidldy', requiring the user to click 'save'. I'd use secure notes quite a bit more if it acted more like other note programs (just save my notes, don't make me click!).

Issue 1, doesn't prompt to save when window is popped out:

• pop out the note window,
  • click 'edit'
  • type some edits to the note
  • close the popped out window via the red X

What happens:

• there is no prompt to save or cancel
  • none of the changes are saved

What I expect:

• to be prompted for save/cancel, OR changes are automatically saved to the note

Issue 2, notes make me click save/cancel, losing my changes:

• select any secure note
  • click 'edit'
  • type some edits to the note
  • select another note or other type of object (navigating away from the note)

What happens:

• prompted to cancel/save/do not save

What I expect:

• save my edits without making me click further items (like every other note program)

1Password Version: 7-beta5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1password family

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Welcome to the forum, @jonsoini! Since you're new around here, I'm wondering if you're perhaps also new to 1Password itself? If so, welcome! I'll start with your second issue first: the reason 1Password's Secure Notes feature doesn't "behave like other note editors" is because it isn't. 1Password is an encrypted database, not a text editor. Changes have to be re-encrypted each time you make edits, before anything else can be done.

For your issue #1 - that's not quite correct. If you pop out the note window and click "Edit" then add some text to the Note, and close the window, the changes ARE still present (because you haven't yet saved or canceled them)...provided you don't switch away to another note. Try it: pop out a note, click edit and change or add some text, then close the window -- the note you were just editing will still be selected in the Items List. Instead of switching away from it, click "Edit" on the note (either in place, or pop it out again and click "Edit"), and you'll see that the changes you made are indeed still retained. It's only if you make changes, close the pop-out and then navigate away to another item that your changes will not be retained.

• jonsoini
    jonsoini
    Community Member

Thanks Lars for taking the time to respond!

I'm not new to 1Password, in fact this behavior has always bothered me, and is one of the big reasons I don't use it as much as I want to, - in fact I keep most of my sensitive notes in Apple Notes w/ locks as 1Password's behavior is odd to me and requires more clicks to get work done, so I'm just throwing my $.02 in.

I totally get where you're coming from re: differences to other apps, but as an end user, to me this is an 'App' and the UI says 'Notes', has note-like icons, so I assume I can reasonably expect it to act like any other note editor on MacOS. I get there's an underlying encryption mechanism and a database, but what's to stop the program from behaving like other apps, while doing all the fun encryption-y things behind the scenes?

Issue #1 is especially jarring as the UI shows my edits are not retained in the main window, unless I'm savvy enough to know they're 'hiding' behind the edit button? I can't remember any other app that behaves this way and shows two different 'truths' based on which window you're in, and then doesn't even prompt to say 'Unsaved edits' or captures the user with a prompt. Now I, as a user, I'm thinking 'Hmm, did I save that? Did I make edits? It doesn't show anything... What if I click something else, anywhere on the left, bar, POOF, my edits disappear.' There's cognitive load there and I don't trust the app, since it's not automatically saving my edits, and it's making me think whether I clicked anywhere else.

Hope that helps, I love 1Password, it's the best out there and you're all doing amazing work! Just want to share my thoughts coming into this beta, and please don't take any of this the wrong way, you're totally fine to say 'this is how we've built it and how it'll be' and that's totally cool too. But I know feedback is also valuable to product creators :)

• @jonsoini,

and please don't take any of this the wrong way, you're totally fine to say 'this is how we've built it and how it'll be'

Nope, its most definitely supposed to prevent you from navigating away from your edits without being prompted to save or cancel or discard edits. This is absolutely a bug.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.