Unable to quit [reportedly working in the 7.0.4 update]

Options
mahood73
mahood73
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

The beta seems to be working fine, but whenever I try to quit it, it just ignores me!

Either selecting it from the menu or Command-Q just does nothing - only a force quit from the dock seems to work.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-5 (70000005)
Extension Version: 1Password X
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Do you by any chance still have 1Password 6 installed?

Stephen

• mahood73
    mahood73
    Community Member
    Options

I do - I've since dragged it to the trash, emptied it and rebooted... but I still have the same issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mahood73 - can you check for us what 1Password processes are running in Activity Monitor? You shouldn't be having problems quitting 1Password 7 for Mac.

• mahood73
    mahood73
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - there's a single 1Password 7 process running even though I've 'force quit' the application.

I've killed that, and I see it comes back when I re-open the beta. It's also opened up the 1Password extension helper, although I am using the 1PasswordX extension... and have disabled '1Password Mini' from the settings.

I still can't quit it - but there's nothing in the console.app except for some messages about it checking for updates. That's not looking helpful either:

default 17:02:33.495630 +0100 1Password 7 [4 stream, pid: 1737, url: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/check/1/17.5.0/OPM7/en/70000005, tls] cancelled
    [4.1 CE6D5B8A-19B8-4B70-84B8-4474EFC07C3F .52671<->]
    Connected Path: satisfied (Path is satisfied), interface: en0, ipv4, ipv6, dns
    Duration: 30.986s, DNS @0.000s took 0.022s, TCP @0.025s took 0.098s, TLS took 0.219s
    bytes in/out: 5968/656, packets in/out: 8/3, rtt: 0.097s, retransmitted packets: 0, out-of-order packets: 0
    default 17:02:48.594552 +0100 1Password 7 UNIX error exception: 17
    default 17:02:48.610996 +0100 1Password 7 UNIX error exception: 17
    default 17:02:54.433408 +0100 1Password 7 UNIX error exception: 17
    default 17:02:54.449357 +0100 1Password 7 UNIX error exception: 17
    default 17:03:00.554713 +0100 1Password 7 UNIX error exception: 17
    default 17:03:00.567109 +0100 1Password 7 UNIX error exception: 17

I will uninstall & reinstall the beta - I had not removed 1Password 6 before I installed it, I must admit.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mahood - looks like 1Password may be trying to complete an update check. You didn't mention what process was running, just that it was a 1Password process. However, deleting and reinstalling the beta is likely your best bet here. Try restarting your Mac first, checking in Activity Monitor to make sure there are no 1Password 7 for Mac processes running before you drag the beta to your Mac's trash. Empty the trash and then re-install using the .pkg installer for 1Password 7 for Mac. If you need a fresh copy, you can get it at this link. Let us know how it goes!

• mahood73
    mahood73
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem - here's what I did:

1. Quit 1Password 7 (force quit)
    2. Check Activity Monitor - "1Password Extension Helper" was still running, and if I killed it, it re-loaded. It was being run from /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password Extension Helper
    3. Reboot & check activity monitor - even without opening 1Password 7 I saw the extension helper was there.
    4. Drag 1Password 7 to the trash, and empty it.
    5. Check activity monitor - no more processes running.
    6. Reboot (because it couldn't hurt).
    7. Install Beta 5 from the link you gave me...

Still cannot quit - and I have 2 processes running:
    1. 1Password 7 (/Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password 7)
    2. 1Password Extension Helper (/Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password Extension Helper)

As I said - the app itself works fine, as does the Chrome plugin - but it just won't let me quit!

• mahood73
    mahood73
    Community Member
    Options

Also this is in the application log - looks like a problem with the update check as you said...

Tue Apr 3 17:23:40 2018| 70000005 [APP:(Secondary Thread 0x604000c7b200):] E checkIfUpdateAvailable | Check for updates failed to parse response: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set.},
    Received: 'No changelogs available for product 'OPM7'.'

On that note:

I tried a manual update check, and it just crashed the updater. In the options I noted that the 'Check for updates including Beta Builds' option wasn't set - once I set it, I was able to check for updates manually OK. Perhaps that should be set automatically when you install a beta?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mahood73 - OK, at this point, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#LFE-36415-878]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @mahood73 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: LFE-36415-878

• mahood73
    mahood73
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars - Interestingly it's not happening on my other Mac (a laptop) so I'm happy to accept it's something weird in my profile on the desktop.

I'll sort out the logs ASAP.

• Jacob
    Options

Thanks for sending that over @mahood73! We'll get back to you via email once we take a look at the report. :)

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, it is currently happening to me as well, and I tried everything in this discussion, still can not quit with the same processes running in the activity monitor, any ideas, this is a really bad bug for me, I only have one Mac

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

A

• ag_kevin
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @sonenthal , @mahood73 and others,

After quitting, 1Password 7 will leave a background process behind that is still named 1Password 7. It does this to be able to show 1Password mini in the menu bar and to keep browser integration working while the app has quit. In 1Password 6, the process had a separate name "1Password mini", but due to the new architecture in 1Password 7, it is the same name.

So, the expected behaviour is when you choose quit or press ⌘Q, the main window will close, the icon will leave the Dock (or the dot underneath the icon will go away if you always keep 1Password in your Dock) and there will still be a process named "1Password 7" seen running in the Activity Monitor.

If you ever need to quit it completely, press Control Option Command Q or hold down Control and Option and choose Quit from the menu, but we don't recommend doing this as standard practice.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• mahood73
    mahood73
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Kevin - but the issue I have is that the main window just sits there...

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member
    Options

Two things here:

As with Mahood73, the main window remains and I selected the option to not have the mini running in the background.

• Hi @sonenthal @mahood73 ,

Thanks for letting us know.

Does this happen every time? i.e. if you open the app and press ⌘Q right after it opens, does the main window just sit there? If not, do you happen to have steps to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member
    Options

It happens every time, regardless if I do it right away or let it run for a few minutes. I have selected the options to not check for updates automatically in an attempt to reduce any ongoing processes that could be interfering.

• mahood73
    mahood73
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, every time - makes no difference if I unlock it or not, reboot before or not, can't seem to find a way to quit other than 'Force Quit'.

• Hi @sonenthal @mahood73 ,

Thanks for the responses.

One more question: What happens if you close the main 1Password window by clicking the red close control? Does it close and the 1Password icon leave the Dock (or if you have it permanently in the Dock, does the black dot under the 1Password icon go away)?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• mahood73
    mahood73
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_kevin well what do you know, it works when I click the red close button!

It updated to Beta 6 overnight, so here's the current state of play:

When the app is running, I see '1Password 7' in the Activity Monitor.

If I quit with the red button, the main window closes, it leaves the dock and the process is still running. (This is expected as you explained above, so it can talk to browsers).

If I try and quit by Command-Q or from the menu 1Password->Quit, it leaves the main window open, and the process is still running. Also as expected since nothing actually happens!

If I Force Quit, the main window closes, it leaves the dock and the 1Password 7 process also leaves Activity Monitor (I guess this is expected, since I forced it).

Hope this helps!

Mark

• Hi @mahood73 ,

Thanks for the extra information. That narrows down where to look for the bug quite a bit. Hopefully we can get this resolved soon!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• sonenthal
    sonenthal
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

For me, NO, the little red button does not close the window. Only force quit in the activity monitor but I have not upgraded yet to beta 6, still on beta 5

• Ben
    Options

@sonenthal

Please re-test on beta 6. :)

Ben

• JBB
    JBB
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure if this has already been posted…cannot quit 1Password 7 app. ⌘Q does nothing. ⌘W (close window) quits.

1Password Version: 7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Ben
    Options

Hi @JBB

I've merged your thread with another on the same topic. Could you please confirm which version you're on?

Ben

• Dr_T
    Dr_T
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1p7 beta-6 on a Retina MacBookPro, 15", Late 2013, 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.13.2. When I click Quit, I get a dialogue asking me if I want to "Enable 1Password Extension Helper?" If I click "Do not enable," the dialogue disappears and 1p7 remains open. If I click "Enable," then 1p7 quits normally.

Here's a screenshot http://bit.ly/2EwNOPy.

Whoops! Bug?7

1Password Version: 70000006
    OS Version: 10.13.2

• JBB
    JBB
    Community Member
    Options

Beta 6.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is another thread on this subject here. Although it starts by referring to beta 5 it does extend to a similar problem with beta 6. I appreciate nothing in that thread may help you but it's possible AgileBits may wish to merge the two threads to keep everything in one place.

Stephen

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks. I've merged a couple of threads here. Thanks for the reports that this issue is still affecting beta 6. Hopefully we can get a fix out soon.

Ben

• ryanbooker
    ryanbooker
    Community Member
    Options

⌘Q appears to activate the menu item (it flashes). But nothing happens. Selecting the menu item directly doesn't work either.

1Password Version: 7
    OS Version: Not Provided

This discussion has been closed.