Password 6 vs 7 update

aubreyapple
aubreyapple
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I am happy using Password 6 on Mac and Android using Dropbox. There are things I do not understand about upgrading to 7:
1) If I try 7 beta will I still be able to use 6 if I have problems with 7? In other words, does 7 corrupt the dropbox database for 6?
2) Do I have to buy two licenses? One for Mac and another for Android?
3) If I switch to your server for 7 and your server goes down, do I have any access to my passwords. (Don't tell me it will not go down, someday it will.)
4) Is there an anticipated expiration date for the beta pricing?
I did look but found no answers to the above questions.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6/MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @aubreyapple

I'd be happy to try and answer those questions for you.

I am happy using Password 6 on Mac and Android using Dropbox.

Glad to hear it.

1) If I try 7 beta will I still be able to use 6 if I have problems with 7?

You could downgrade to v6, yes. The point of the special beta pricing though is to help us test 1Password 7 before it is released. There are and will be issues. If you aren't interested in being a beta tester then this deal is not for you. :) We do plan to have another sale when 1Password 7 launches.

In other words, does 7 corrupt the dropbox database for 6?

No.

2) Do I have to buy two licenses? One for Mac and another for Android?

When purchasing standalone licenses instead of a subscription membership each platform is separate.

3) If I switch to your server for 7 and your server goes down, do I have any access to my passwords. (Don't tell me it will not go down, someday it will.)

Your data is cached on any devices you are signed into so you can access that cached data if you or we are offline.

4) Is there an anticipated expiration date for the beta pricing?

We haven't announced an end-date at this point.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben, for the prompt reply.

Regarding the answer to #3, I thought I read that the advantage of the membership plan was that no data was stored on my system. If the data is cached there, doesn't that mean the data is there? (Not that I can complain since clearly the dropbox method leaves everything on my system.)

• @aubreyapple Sorry about the confusion. The advantage is that it's always backed up on 1Password.com in case something happens to one of your devices. It is still cached on your devices so you can access it offline. :)

This discussion has been closed.