1Password 6.8.534 Update Fails When Updating From "Update to..." Button in 1Password

Options

I managed to resolve my own issue, so this is just an FYI. There may be a potential issue with the latest 6.8.534 release when updating through the 1Password interface.

I just installed 1Password (version 6.8.496), and I checked for updates via the Update tab in 1Password, and it reports that 6.8.534 is available. When I click the Update to... button, 1Password immediately crashes. The 1Password logs show nothing indicating what the issue might be, but the Event log reveals the name of the temporary msi file created in the AppData/Local/Temp folder, and the log file for the installer shows that MsiExec is returning an error code of 1620 which means that it is not a valid MSI file. To verify, I tried opening the MSI with ORCA, but it complains that it is not a valid MSI as well.
Subsequent installation attempts yield the same results. The tmp MSI file names are different, but their logs also show the 1620 return code

I downloaded the 6.8.534 setup file from your website and ran it outside of the 1Password UI and it installed fine.

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Enterprise Version 1607 build 14393.2155
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi there Tom,

Thank you for your detailed post!

As far as I know, this is the first report about the issues with the latest update for 1Password 6 for Windows. I will make sure to pass this info to my team, so we could take a closer look at what happened. Thanks again! :+1:

I am glad to hear that you've figured everything out and installed update manually. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.