install 1Password 7 windows (stand alone version

Options
TorCin
TorCin
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm attempting to install 1Password 7 windows and I have a stand alone version. Install sequence is asking me for vault password but I don't have one.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Attempting to install 1Password 7 windows. asking me for vault password but I don't have one.

Comments

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Same here I think. Installed 1Password 7 Beta for Windows and can't do anything with it. I have 1Password 4 working fine with dropbox but this new version wants a master password and it doesn't accept mine. I can't do anything with the menu options either, they're grayed out.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @TorCin and @kurtd,

If you have installed 1Password 6 for Windows on your computers before, 1Password 7 is using that old database. If you have all of your data in a local vault in 1Password 4, please try to follow the steps in this guide to start over with 1Password 7 for Windows, so you could open your local vault there. Here is how welcome screen should look for you after that:

Let me know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    Options

I had 1Password 6 installed but it wasn't working properly with my local vault so I uninstalled it prior to trying 7. Do you think I'll need to reinstall 6 so I can follow the procedure or would I only need to do the 1Password 4 part of the procedure?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @kurtd,

You do not have to reinstall 1Password 6, both 1Password 6/7 uses the same database file. We haven't updated our docs to say 1Password 7 but that'll happen once 1Password 7 is out of beta.

All you would have to do is terminate 1Password 7 via 1Password Menu > Exit and rename the data folder, before starting 1Password 7 again. Once you do that, it'll show you the welcome tour and you can add your existing vault from 1Password 4.

Skip the 1Password 4 part of the guide.

• TorCin
    TorCin
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to locate the .agilekeychain file and then used this file location to successfully install the 7 beta version...........thanks!
    New issue/question: when I attempt to log in to one of my bank accounts 1password automatically populates the user name field but it fails to populate the password field it then automatically triggers the LOG IN button however, because it failed to populate the password field I am unable to log in.

• TorCin
    TorCin
    Community Member
    Options

More questions:1) I successfully installed 1password 7 but upon exiting the program I discovered my desktop icon still takes me to version 4. I can't seem to locate an executable file for version 7 and can only reopen via the installation process again. How can I create a desktop icon for version 7? Question#2 within version 7 I can't see how to sync my windows pc with my iphone (there is no sync icon in the pc version like there was with version 4).

• @TorCin: I'll start with the sync question as it's a bit simpler. Your vault is still located in the same spot it was before and is already syncing to the same folder as before. The difference is, it now ends in .opvault instead of .agilekeychain. There's no need to make any tweaks to settings on your PC, instead you'll need to change your sync settings on your iPhone to point to the new .opvault.

I can't seem to locate an executable file for version 7 and can only reopen via the installation process again. How can I create a desktop icon for version 7?

You can create one if you'd like, but 1Password 7 will launch when you start your PC by default, so I don't personally find it necessary. This places a 1Password icon in your notification area that you can use to access mini and open the main app. Click the ^ down by your clock on your task bar to expand your notification area. You can Ctrl + click the 1Password icon here to open the main app (or just click it to open mini). You can drag the icon to your task bar to avoid having to expand your notification area (and save desktop space!). If you'd prefer a shortcut:

1. Open Start and paste %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\7, then press enter.
    2. Right click 1Password here and select Send to > Desktop.

This will create a shortcut for you. :+1:

when I attempt to log in to one of my bank accounts 1password automatically populates the user name field but it fails to populate the password field

Are you able to share this sign-in URL? It may be that we're having trouble filling there and will need to get it fixed up, but I can give it a go to make sure and help you tweak your Login if I can get one to fill successfully. Thanks! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.