List View?

Options
harczuk
harczuk
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Is there a "item list layout" in beta 7 like there was in 6?

1Password Version: 705 beta 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @harczuk! We wanted to simplify the way an item list displays in 1Password 7, so we removed that extra layout. I'm curious, how did you use it? And what were its advantages for you? I can't promise we'll bring it back, I just want to better understand what people used it for. :)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, and for taking the time to share your use case. :)

Ben

• invalidptr
    invalidptr
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on bringing back View > Item List Layout > Top

• In Left view, the line below the Title changes: Date Modified sort shows Date; Title sort shows Username; Website short shows Website. A lot of my computer usage is about looking for information "In its place". Left view breaks this paradigm as information is shifting/disappearing.
    • Top feels more like how I have Apple Mail configured: documents feel like emails. Concise/tight 1 line per login feels more efficient. While the icons are pretty for Left view - it just makes me feel constrained and getting less information on the screen.
    • I have 18 Dropbox Login documents. Narrowing down the Username I'm looking for I find myself trying to block-out/hop-over all the Dropbox titles. While in Top view, I can just focus on the Username column.
    • Sanitizing Website URLs is something else I do with Top view.
    • Sorting on Title, Modified and Created is something I do a lot and clicking on the column is just feels more direct.
    • I will concede I see fewer documents in Top view as I currently have it configured vs. Left view. This was a surprise to me
  • Jacob
    Options

Thanks so much for the detailed opinion @invalidptr! We'll keep that in mind. :)

• vcantrell
    vcantrell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I STRONGLY support bringing this option back in 1password 7. It is crucial enough for me that I have reverted back to the latest version of 1password 6 on my Macs. I have enough items in my vaults that I use long titles for each entry, and I can't view the full title without having the window be much wider than needed. Additionally, as a 1Password subscriber and someone who has used 1Password for years, I use the ability to have all the extra fields like date created, date modified, etc. almost daily. Not having them available in the list makes my list so much harder to navigate. As an IT professional, I recommend and refer people to 1Password almost daily. Removing this feature as an option takes away quite a bit of the appeal for power-users in my opinion. Would love to see this return as an option in a future 1Password 7 update so I can upgrade and enjoy the new features.

-Vince

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing your perspective, @vcantrell.

Ben

• dentarg
    dentarg
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I have the same use cases as the other posters here, "Item List Layout > Top" was very useful for me and it is the way I prefer to use 1Password. I'm very sad to see it go away in 1Password 7.

Here's what I sent to AgileBits support today about it:

Do you have any plans on bringing back the column view that existed in 1Password 6?

With that view, it is much quicker to sort your logins, just click on the column, and click again if you want it sorted reverse.

Now, in 1Password 7, you have to select the sorting criteria in the menu, and to reverse the sort, you have to open the menu again and choose the other sort order.

This is slow and cumbersome. I understand it is great for users not being power users, as it might be more discoverable and easier to use. But please understand that you have made it worse for power users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@dentarg: The 1Password for Mac version 7 beta has already ended, so I'll close this discussion, but I do appreciate you getting in touch. I do not have good news for you though. From the most recent discussion on this topic:

We don't have any plans to bring back List View. Maintaining it was not trivial, and the vast majority of users have not used it since 2009 when 1Password 3 was released. I was a fan of it myself, so I get where you're coming from, but we rally need to focus on the things that benefit the greatest number of 1Password users. :blush:

Unfortunately there really isn't much else to say.

This discussion has been closed.