Nested tags - some improvements needed

Options
oksoftware
oksoftware
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello, nested tags is a really nice idea, much more practical than folders, because now I can categorise any item into several "folders". Unfortunately, it's not clear enough whether to use "/" or "\" for tag separation. All folder names of my items imported from 1Password 4 were converted to tags using "\" separator. It works the same way as "/", but as I found in the forum the recommended character is "/". What to do now? Browse all my 1,500 items and rename them? Or to leave it? But those two slashes are not handled in the same way, i.e. tah "a/b" sorts to a different folder then "a\b". I also found some cases which corrupt tag folding. Please, try to create two items, one with tag "sample/abc/efg" and the second one with tag "sample/efg". You will get two unfolded tags "sample/abc/efg" and "efg", although there is not "efg" tag.
It also isn't very practical when you implemented such a cool feature to ignore slashes when there is no tag without slash. I.e. for the previous example I expect to automatically create tags "sample", "sample/abc", "sample/efg" and "sample/abc/efg", ale nested together in a proper way. By my opinion the best way should be to enable tag folding in the Settings and also to allow setting up the character used for tag folder separation (any single character or a selection from a predefined list of possible ones).

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

I was going to make a new post but let me jump on this because it's similar but more minor...when items are imported into 1Password, they are imported with a tag that includes the date. Like "1pif-import-4/4/18". And now that makes a tag tree of "1pif-import-4" with sub-tag "4" and a second-level sub-tag of "18". Which is not pretty or useful. So it seems like the re-use of slashes to a tag separator when it was used in auto-generated tags with dates is somewhat un-pretty :-)

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi dszp, it looks more like a problem of local date format of your system (together with this new feature). In my system the tag is like “imported 3.4.2018 14:40” (Czech date format). Perhaps the best option would be to use Iso 8601 date format (i.e. “imported 2018-04-03T14:40:25+02:00”), which is “slashproof” :-)
    Another minor advantage of iso 8601 date format is that the import tags would be ordered chronologically.

• gmaddry
    gmaddry
    Community Member
    Options

Rather than start a new discussion I will add nested tags don't collapse like folders did and this means a very long list of tags.

• gmaddry
    gmaddry
    Community Member
    Options

Ignore my previous comment I see collapsing nested tags is coming.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

@oksoftware: Good points in your original post. We're still working out some of the implementation details as we develop the Windows and Mac betas concurrently, so this feedback is really helpful. We've been discussing a lot of this internally, and I'll pass this on to the team as well. :)

Also,

Perhaps the best option would be to use Iso 8601 date format (i.e. “imported 2018-04-03T14:40:25+02:00”), which is “slashproof” :-) Another minor advantage of iso 8601 date format is that the import tags would be ordered chronologically.

I'd personally love to see that...but I'm not holding my breath on seeing that adopted globally. Still, fight the good fight. :lol:

ref: xplatform/b5book#786

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gmaddry: Rather than ignore your comments completely, I'd just like to say that it's good to hear this is something you're looking forward to as well. We're really excited about this and have been working out the details so we can get this implemented across all platforms. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was going to make a new post but let me jump on this because it's similar but more minor...when items are imported into 1Password, they are imported with a tag that includes the date. Like "1pif-import-4/4/18". And now that makes a tag tree of "1pif-import-4" with sub-tag "4" and a second-level sub-tag of "18". Which is not pretty or useful. So it seems like the re-use of slashes to a tag separator when it was used in auto-generated tags with dates is somewhat un-pretty :-)

@dszp: Thanks for your feedback on this! Indeed, there are some interesting issues that are coming up with this, so we're working to standardize to avoid these kinds of issues as much as possible going forward. :)

This discussion has been closed.