1Password 7 Beta 5 extension discrepancies?

DavidB
DavidB
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

With 1Password 7 Beta 5 (10.13.4), what are the latest extensions?

There seem to be some discrepancies in what I have:

Safari: 1Password 7.0.BETA-5 from 1Password 7
Firefox: 1Password Beta 4.7.1.3
Chrome: 1Password beta (desktop app required)

Also, what does "desktop app required" mean? (I have an individual account or whatever it's called.)

I have automatic updates turned on for Safari and Firefox. (According to this https://support.1password.com/update-extension/, Chrome automatically updates on its own.)

Thank you,

David

1Password Version: 7.0BETA-5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: individual account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DavidB - sorry for the confusion; I agree there are quite a few moving parts to keep squared away here. Let me see if I can clarify for you.

The Safari extension is the only one that got a real makeover as part of 1Password 7 for Mac. That's why it says 7.0BETA-5 -- because it's no longer a separate process. The Safari App Extension is now actually part of the 1Password for Mac app. The rest of our extensions remain unchanged. 4.7.1.3 is the beta extension, and it's the current one for Firefox for both 1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Mac. In Chrome, it's also 4.7.1.3 (assuming you've been on the beta channel there as well, otherwise 4.7.0). The reason "desktop app required" was added there is because we recently released 1Password X last November, which is our Chrome-only (for now) extension-only app that works hand-in-hand with 1Password.com accounts. So "desktop app required" is to reinforce the idea that 4.7.1.3 or 4.7.0 still require the desktop 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows app, as opposed to 1Password X, which does not. Hope that helps!

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

Lars,

Thank you for your explanation -- I appreciate your help.

I understand all of this except the "desktop app required" part. I thought the desktop 1Password for Mac was different from the individual (subscription) application I have?

David

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DavidB,

Prior to November of last year there was just the one extension and it required the native 1Password application to be running. So no matter whether you were a licensed user with standalone vaults or a 1Password account subscriber you needed both the native application and the extension for Mac and Windows. On Windows we started from scratch with 1Password 6 and it focused exclusively on supporting 1Password accounts. On the Mac we added support to the existing client to leverage all the good work that had gone into it over the years so no matter how you use 1Password, on the Mac it was all in the same application.

Last November we revealed 1Password X. It's a separate extension that connects directly to our server, bypassing the need for the native application. It's our approach to running on ChromeOS and Linux although they aren't requirements to run it. With the presence of two extensions the text (desktop app required) was added to the existing extension to help differentiate in the Chrome store. Hopefully that helps clarify the current situation a bit but if I've only raised more questions please do say :smile:

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

Hi@littlebobbytales,

Thanks for the further explanation.

What threw me off was that I didn't understand the terminology being used.

I have an individual account and thought that meant I didn't have a desktop app. If I have it right now, a desktop app can be used with either a standalone vault or online vault?

David

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DavidB - yes. Both standalone users and 1password.com account folks use the same native applications for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. There is no "account version" of our apps; it's just how you store and sync your data. Same app. :) Let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

This discussion has been closed.