Apple Communities and iCloud login not auto submitting now

Options

Apple has changed the logins for both the community discussions and for iCloud to something really strange. Only the Apple ID line now shows and the password field is "hidden" until after you fill in the Apple ID. With this change, the auto submit no longer works or you get and error message about not have permission to access the site.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store4.7.
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: 10.13.4 (17E199)
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Steve_H,

I didn't know they'd changed their sign-in form until you mentioned it so I went and took a look. They have indeed switched to the one screen per field which I still don't understand the appeal of but who am I to say. While the form has changed my test just now passed without issue so at the moment I've been unable to reproduce your findings. After loading https://www.icloud.com I had 1Password fill with my existing Login item. It filled both fields on the first fill although you could easily tell. Focus was left on the visible username field and when I pressed enter the filled password field was revealed. I pressed enter again and I was logged in.

1Password won't attempt to submit unless it can leave focus on a visible password field so this kind of sign-in form will interrupt the convenient flow you've likely become accustomed to. It shouldn't be too bad though given we do leave focus on the visible username field and pressing enter moves the process forward.

If you can consistently get this permission message on the page can you tell me what steps I can take to reproduce please and we'll see if we can understand what is happening.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks littlebobbytables. It does work as you have stated. Not as convenient, but it does work. Thanks for clearing this up for me. The error message does still exist but only after you get signed in using your method and only then when you try to access your account/user information. That is for Apple to fix. Thanks again.

• dalton
    Options

I'm glad littlebobbytables was able to shed some light on the situation, @Steve_H. The extra step does reduce convenience, which is an unfortunate side effect to using 1Password with this type of form design. I think we're better off choosing the safe route here, though, and not submitting the form unless we can leave focus on a visible password field.

I wasn't able to trigger any errors when signing in on my end, but if they appear after you've already signed in (whether you used 1Password or manually entered your credentials), then it's likely on Apple's side of things. Definitely let us know if you run into any other issues, though. Have a great weekend. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.