1Password beta very sluggish [fixed in beta 9]

Options
iamecho
iamecho
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I love this new version! Kudos to all for another fantastic upgrade.

I've been using the beta for 4 days now and have noticed the more I do the slower the program responds. I spent a couple of hours updating my tags to incoroporate the nesting feature, and 1P became so slow during this process I had to quit and reboot my Mac twice. Then it was lightning quick. Yesterday and today I have been using 1P my usual amount and within a hour or two it has slowed down noticeably, even when typing letters they are slow to pop up after typing them. A Mac reboot is the workaround but it would be more convenient if just quitting the app worked.

Any thoughts about the slowdown? Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-5 (70000005) AgileBit
Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-5
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho Glad you're enjoying the 1Password 7 for Mac beta overall, but that definitely doesn't sound like proper behavior. Thoughts? Well, knowing nothing but what you've told me, it sounds like maybe a memory leak? I really don't know without taking a closer look. Restarting usually isn't actually a solution for most things that are genuine problems, it may just make them seem less prominent for a while. Sometimes, you can get stuck caches or other behind-the-scenes conflicts that will indeed be resolved by a simple restart of your Mac...so let's do this: keep an eye on it, and let us know if the problem recurs. If so, we'll want to get a diagnostics report and dig a little deeper. Thanks for reporting!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars - I'm still experiencing sluggish performance while using 1Password 7. I made a video showing that it takes :15 seconds to shut down 1Password, and about the same for it to open, but the file size is too large to upload. Entering or editing information within 1P is equally slow but I couldn't figure out how to show that without all my entries being visible. I am running 1P7 on a new Macbook Pro w/ Touch Bar. My software is current on Mac and 1P7. Rebooting my Mac returns 1P to lightning speed, but a few hours after it has been opened and running in the back ground is slows down to a crawl. Any help you could offer would be great, and I'd be happy to send a diagnostic report.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - Sorry you're still having troubles -- and I appreciate you taking the time to make a screen recording! If you have a utility like Handbrake available, you can often shrink file sizes for videos down to a size that can be sent either here or via email, but if that sounds like too much work, no worries. At this point, however, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#CAB-25627-288]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @iamecho only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: CAB-25627-288

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Lars. Report sent.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I just sent a second diagnositc report (about 5 hours after the first one) as now 1P is taking 3-5 seconds to perform any task. The rest of my Mac is work at top speed. Thanks. 8pm EST

• Hey there @iamecho. I'm sorry you're hitting some slugishness in 1Password. Could you do me a favor and grab a sample of 1Password the next time you notice things being slow? To get a sample open up Activity Monitor and filter it to passw :

Then select 1Password 7 and click on the gear menu and choose Sample Process:

Then just save the file and send it in to support+beta@agilebits.com. Thanks!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @MrRooni -- I sent the sample process but thought I would also attach a screen shot as mine looks a little different to yours! I wonder if this is the problem - Thanks so much. Support ID [#TUV-46348-173]

• Possibly, though it's hard to glean anything from that screenshot alone. I'll go over your sample with the rest of the team and we'll see what we can find.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @MrRooni

• @iamecho My pleasure!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni @Lars Good morning to you both - another sample sent with support ID is [#IBC-79484-426]
    I sent a second sample because 1Password got to the point of not being able to use it and I wanted to reboot my computer so I could. The sample is from just before I rebooted.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - thanks, looks like we've received your emails; we really appreciate you taking the time to include the diagnostics and samples. We'll have a look and one of us will get back with you shortly via email.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars @MrRooni Just checking in to see if you were able to tell what's going on with the slowness? Thanks so much.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - Hi, and apologies for the delay -- we're pretty swamped with the simultaneous releases of 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows betas -- and I know that's not a great excuse when you're waiting for a solution to your issue, but unfortunately this one's above my pay grade. We'll need a developer to have a look at your stuff and try to determine what's going on, and they're precisely the people who've got the fullest plates right now. It shouldn't be too much longer, however. Thanks for your patience.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars. No problem, I totally get it. I'll look forward to hearing from someone when they can. Until then, restart is my best friend.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - We really appreciate it. Truly, that one's from the heart; not everyone understands the kind of madhouse that an impending release is. I'll go poke mrrooni and see if he can bump it up the priority list.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@Lars You don't need to do that to poor @MrRooni - I'm going away for the weekend and wouldn't be able to go back and forth with him until Monday anyway. But come Monday ... poke away :). And give @dteare a kiss on the cheek for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho - will do! Enjoy your weekend away. :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars @MrRooni Hi, I'm back, and available to help in any way to resolve this problem. No rush .. the reboot is still working for me .. just whenever you have time to get to me.

• Hello @iamecho ! We are still working through your reports, trying to see what could be going on. Do me a favor the next time 1Password begins to get sluggish. Instead of rebooting, hold down the option key and click on the 1Password icon in the menu bar. Choose to Quit 1Password Completely. and then relaunch it. Let me know if that also clears out the sluggishness.

Also, is it just 1Password, or does your whole system slow to a crawl?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni I will do the above, and it's just 1Password. Thanks so much.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@MrRooni "hold down the option key and click on the 1Password icon in the menu bar. Choose to Quit 1Password Completely". I am not getting this option when holding down the option key. It just says "Quit 1Password".

• Sorry I wasn't more specific, I meant this icon:

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@MrRooni Gotcha. Control Option 1Password accesses it too, but yours is better!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just wish I had a "1Password" key on my keyboard. Cheers! :)

• RPBarnes
    RPBarnes
    Community Member
    Options

I have found Beta 8 sluggish to unlock after the password has been entered. However it seems to 'reset' once I close 1Password completely, then reopen it again. At worst its been 8 secs from entering password to being able to use it, currently its just under 3 secs since I reopened it. On another note, when I lock 1Password using ctrl-option-command-L, why does i take a few seconds to lock it?

• Airwick
    Airwick
    Community Member
    Options

Beta 8 is generally sluggish for me too. Sometimes it takes longer than others to launch. Key command to use in Safari is unreliable, sometimes it takes so long it just stops working. This makes autofill hit and miss. Let me know if you want a process report when this happens.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Did these symptoms begin with beta 8 or did you experience this prior as well?

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben - for me, they started either beta 6 or 7. I started this thread and sent in a bunch of sample processes etc, and am waiting for the guys to have some downtown to look at them.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @iamecho. Yep — it looks like you were running beta 5 when you opened this thread. I’m curious if that is the case for @Airwick and @RPBarnes as well, or if their issues started with beta 8.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.